Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
Tex Robin

Re: Looking for...

#101 Post by Tex Robin »

All,

Does anyone know of a supplier of Cloth pull material?...TR
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#102 Post by paul »

I was going to ask that someday soon. Thanks for beatin' me to it Tex.
PK
rileycraig
Full Name: Riley G.

#103 Post by rileycraig »

Tex,

A customer I'm making a pair of boots for asked me about putting cloth pulls on his boots. The only thing that came to mind was the multi-colored cloth that Tandy used to carry...the stuff that looks like a saddle blanket or serape. I can't recall what it's called, but if this is what you have in mind, I can probably come up with some. I was thinking about using it for decorative strips on the pulls. Let me know.

Good Bootmaking,

Riley
Mick Nesseim

#104 Post by Mick Nesseim »

Tex,
I have used several different materials for pulls. Rummage through the sale bins at fabric stores and you can find some interesting matereial that you have to sew up but works well. Different types of mattress ticking will also work. Lately I have been using a civil war era suspender webbing made by Family Heilooms of Red Lion, PA. It comes in 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 inch widths and they sent me 3 different samples. They said that the colors are not all the same so you will have to talk to them. They are either linen or cotten. Here is there phone and website 717-246-5797 www.familyheirloomweavers.com.
Mick Nesseim
D.A. Saguto--HCC

#105 Post by D.A. Saguto--HCC »

I'm hot for some of this boot-pull material too. I started asking around in England, among the "narrow textile" producers, but no joy. What I want is preferably worsted wool, if not, a good tightly woven cotton webbing in multicolored stripes.

If you can live with nylon, I think Weaver leather sells some solid color strapping that might do.
rileycraig
Full Name: Riley G.

#106 Post by rileycraig »

Tex,

On pages 40, 41 & 42 of the Weaver catalog, there is webbing of all the colors in the universe, and they also have patterned polyester in 5/8" and 1"...they will even personalize it for you. The number is 1-800-693-2837, or www.leathersupply.com...hope this helps.

Good Bootmaking,

Riley
rosynay

#107 Post by rosynay »

Tex

There are more than several places in Houston where you may find suitable
braids and tapes. There are quite a few in the wholesale center in the Woodway area. Some of these businesses will send sample cards for the asking. A tax number is necessary to do business with them. If anyone wants to know more about these places send me an email as they are too numerous to list here. If one is looking for something unusual maybe I can find it for you.
There are so many more resources in
Houston than these. The ones listed
here are only the ones where I have
shopped and have first hand knowledge of the goods that are sold in their
businesses.

Glick Textiles 713-942-8585
2327 Southwest Freeway between Kirby
& Green Briar
Houston Tx (no zip on ad)
www.glicktextiles.com
(primarily a wholesale co but now sells to the public, good prices everything sold in bolts, dress and upholstery
fabrics & findings)

High Fasion Fabric Center
713-527-7203
3101 Louisiana
Houston Tx 77006
(All kinds of fabrics & trims)
(for upholstery and dressmaking)
(people from all over the country
shop here)

Leggett's Fabrics
2600 Capitol
Houston Tx (no zip)
713-222-2471
Also have a lot of tools
(Upholstery fabfrics & lots of findings, this is where a lot of designers shop)

Southern Importers & Exporters
713-524-8236
4825 San Jacinto
713-524-8236
(Costume, Trimmings, Sequins, Felt)
(very unusual store never know what)
(you will find here)

The following are some places in the wholesale district that will have upscale and extraordinary findings.
Only the phone number is available.
All are well worth calling and may send a sample card. One may have to send a
small fee to obtain a card.

Brunschwig & Fils Inc. 713-961-3391
Scalamandre Inc. 713-840-8201

(The two above companies make the
(beautiful and unusual drapery and upholstery braids and findings. One is apt to find something different here which may be pricey but these would be the first places I'd look for something of quality that would be unusual)

Hong Kong Trading 713-522-7699
(Have lots of glitzy trims and can
(have the unusual as well as the sane)

RL
rosynay

#108 Post by rosynay »

All

I will go shopping for boot strap material for all of you and will look
for worsted wool, stripes ect. It is
going to be a couple of weeks before
I can get to it because I am right in the middle of moving. RL
Tex Robin

#109 Post by Tex Robin »

Rosemary, All,

Don't go to a lot of trouble for me. Very few people even like the webbing for pulls. I have one special request which is the first in my career. I personally like the leather pulls sewn in over the sideseams far better and most cowboys like the pull holes anyway. You can get the nylon at Wal-Mart in the sewing dept in blk, tan , and white.

But there is a need for a supply of the stuff for those who like the look...

Riley,

I will look and see if I still have a Weaver catalog.

About Upaco: I have now received the water based all-purpose and also some press cement. I have used the all-purpose and it works. There are things I don't like about it, but I will be using it especially in the winter because of the fumes. One thing that irritates me is the tendency to splatter when I spread it. It goes everywhere.
The press cement looks the same as the old stuff and I am sure it is. The can I received looks very thick and will probaly make twice the amount with some acetone. Being hazardous though it will be more expensive than the all-purpose. Someone might buy some and have it available at WF if there was a demand........TR
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#110 Post by dw »

Tex,

I've been looking for decent cloth pull material for most of my career. Nylon and polyester are out as far as I'm concerned and anything less than inch and a quarter wide is also out. I've had access to the premium quality wool but I can't say I like it all that well and getting ahold of it is like pulling teeth...hen's teeth! Image

I have looked in all the fabric stores and in catalogs and specialty shops that carry fantastic selections of one inch and wider webbing--of various materials. But I've never seen or found *anything* that was suitable. That said, I make lots of boots with cloth pulls. Most of my own have cloth pulls. Very 19th century looking--the type of cloth, I mean.

Mick has it pretty much in hand...ticking works real well but any large fabric store will carry a line of upholstery cloth, canvas ticking, and other fabrics that, with a little judicious selection make wonderful pulls.

Here's a bit of a trick...and a bit complicated but it's the best solution I know of and unless someone could find the "perfect" pull strapping, I doubt I'd change even for the convenience....I generally choose a fabric that has a band of stripes at least an inch wide that are "regular"--meaning green, yellow, red, yellow, green. Sometimes a fabric will have another band of stripes that is a variation of the original. All the better. Then I cut a rectangle of cloth with the red stripe down the exact center. The rectangle will be three inches wide (inch and a quarter times 2 plus two quarter inch seam allowance margins. Make the rectangle as long as you think you need it.

Cement the back side of the pull material with all-purpose and let dry...thoroughly--a day or two...so that the cement is no longer "open." Fold the cloth in half so that he cemented side is to the outside and sew along the quarter inch seam allowance. Now you have a tube. Turn inside out (actually rightside out...so that the cement is inside the tube.

Now take an old iron...a clothes iron...and iron the pull flat so that the red stripe is still centered on the front side of the pull. Use a warm heat. This reactivates the cement and the two layers of cloth will effectively fuse together.

Lastly, simply sew a line of red on either side of the red stripe (right at the edge of the red) just to secure every thing and you have a pull that is strong, colour coordinated with your boots if you are careful, and cheap. And it will take someone looking *very* closely to know that the pull was "made. Just be careful of the material...what it is made of, I mean...some fabrics will melt under the iron.

There's a little more to it than what I've described but that's the procedure. It's time consuming and fussy. But you have the ability, with several yards of fabric to make pulls in a wide rage of colour combinations (the stripes) and you won't spend the next 40 years looking for something that is nearly, if not actually, impossible to find. For onetime orders the technique is ideal and even although I've got enough material to make pulls in about six different variations, I don't have much more than ten dollars, total, invested. So you won't spend an arm and a leg importing or stocking large quantities of pull material in many colours that you will never use up.

For what it's worth...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
Tex Robin

#111 Post by Tex Robin »

DW,

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good method. but I guess finding the right material and design would be the challenge. I will look for some material...TR
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#112 Post by paul »

Wow, DW,

That was a fun read. Good suggestion also.

Tex,

I just looked at the flyer from Sheldon Reynolds, Inc.(414/272-7150),that came with this months SHOP TALK mag. They have Cotton Webbing in 1-1/4", 1-1/2", 2"etc. It's listed as seconds and close outs, various colors. It might be the thing.

PK
Lisa Sorrell

#113 Post by Lisa Sorrell »

Tex and D.W.,
When you're making a long "tube" like D.W. described, I can tell you a simple way to turn it. With this method you can make a really, really long one so you'll have lots of pulls and it's still easy to turn. Cut a piece of heavy string or cord that's a little longer than your tube. What you're using on your curved or straight needle would be perfect. Lay the string on the right side of the fabric so that it's inside when you fold it together to sew. Make sure you don't catch it in your seam down the edge. Sew ONE end of your tube closed with a 1/4" seam, and catch the end of the cord in that seam. Go over it a couple of times to make sure the cord is sewn securely and won't pull out of the seam. After you've stitched the one end and the side, just grab the end of the cord that's hanging out the end you didn't stitch and pull. It will pull the end through and turn it right side out very quickly.

Lisa
Lisa Sorrell

#114 Post by Lisa Sorrell »

You can also tie a knot in the end of the cord if you're worried it will slip through the stitches when you pull on it.

Lisa
mnewberry
Full Name: Matt Newberry

#115 Post by mnewberry »

All,

I have some narrow tape that I have used for cloth pulls with reasonable success, and I have extra if anyone would like to buy some. I is 1 1/8" wide and about "2 3/4 oz." thick. It is tight cotton weave, grey with a slight white stripe at the edge. If anyone is interested, I can take a photo and figure out what it would cost (not much, I remember).

Matt
andrea

#116 Post by andrea »

An interesting selection of tapes (mostly worsted) can be found on woodedhamlet.com If these folks don't have exactly what you're looking for, they might be able to hunt down a source.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#117 Post by dw »

Lisa,

I use the same technique to turn the pulls...except I use a strip of leather. But, duh!, I never thought of doing all four at once--in one long tube. Smart!

Tex,

I think your problem with the Upaco water based neoprene is that you are using too soft a brush. I bought one of those Dutch glue pots and immediately cut about a quarter inch off the end of the brush. I do that on all those brushes I don't have any problem with spattering.
2391.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tmattimore

#118 Post by tmattimore »

On a different note does any one have a source for 5" wide elastic sutiable for elastic sided jodphurs?
Tmattimore
danfreeman

#119 Post by danfreeman »

tmattimore--5" and 6" elastic from Hanover Leather, Lowell, MA. (800) 421-5086
tmattimore

#120 Post by tmattimore »

Dan
Thanks
Tom
lorian

#121 Post by lorian »

Hello all,
Trivia question - does anyone know where I could purchase a fitting guide; I was thinking of the type with sliding adjustments for width and length. If anyone has one or knows where to obtain one, I would love to purchase. Thanks much!

Lorian
Frank Jones of Lancashire,

#122 Post by Frank Jones of Lancashire, »

Lorian

It all depends on what you mean by a fitting device. If you want a retail type device used for fitting ready made footwear, the industry standard with all the bells and whistles is the Brannock (www.brannock.com). However, if you are into making custom fitting footwear then the Brannock is not suitable.

Frank Jones
frank.jones@shoemaking.com
tmattimore

#123 Post by tmattimore »

One of the problems with the brannock device is many new lasts do not correspond with its scale. I dont belive they have changed it since 1925. It is a good guide for production work. I would not use it for fitted work except as a place to start looking in your last pile.
Frank Jones of Lancashire,

#124 Post by Frank Jones of Lancashire, »

tmattimore

I would not expect the Brannock device to measure lasts correctly. It was designed to be used in retail shops for measuring feet.

As has been said on the Colloquy before, some parts of a last are larger than the feet and other parts are smaller.

Frank Jones
frank.jones@shoemaking.com
Tmattimore

#125 Post by Tmattimore »

Frank What I meant is that in my case I have one run of lasts that corresponds quite well to the brannock device if some one measures a 10 D on it and I send them a 10 D from that model it fits 95% of the time. Most of my other lasts don"t do that. When working from measure I find that the brannock device is only good for picking out the first last and laying it on the foot tracing, it is usually wrong.
Tom Mattimore