Looking for...

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
hubleyleather

Re: Looking for...

#26 Post by hubleyleather »

Hello all,

Trying to find a source for pre-formed fibreboard heel counters in Canada or the US. Any good ideas and phone numbers for shoe finding businesses that might have these?

The big manufacturers have huge minimum orders (with the commensurate price tag) and we really only use about 600 per year.

Thanks
crary
Full Name: William Burton Crary

#27 Post by crary »

Hubley,

Belle Counter in Mo. might be a good source.

Ph.1-314-385-6322

BC
Eisele's Custom Boots

#28 Post by Eisele's Custom Boots »

Help,
I can't for the life of me find where we were discussing recovering grinding wheels.
Any help would be appreciated as to where or what to use.
Kevin
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#29 Post by dw »

Kevin,

That was several years ago, now. I think it's probably on the Archive CD. I don't remember what the conclusion was on that, either. Tex was one of the people most involved in that discussion. Maybe he remembers.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
jake
Full Name: Jake

#30 Post by jake »

To All,

I like a "label" sewn to the lining to identify my work. Problem is my labels are the cheap ones. After a while they start unraveling and look like the dickens.

I'm looking for some nice labels. Anyone know of a good company to work with? I guess the good labels are woven cloth?

Appreciate any help.
Tex Robin

#31 Post by Tex Robin »

Jake,

Minnewawa Mfg co in Tn. Don't have the add or ph
at the moment but run the name on a search engine. They have the woven ones and the printed ones. Woven ones are pricey $ 300 or more per 1000 but they have a printed one for $ 150 per 1000. Both are good but the woven are better...TR
dw
Seanchaidh

#32 Post by dw »

Jake,

Do a Google search for "woven labels." There are lots of companies that do it. What you want is an outfit that will do custom designs and orders of less than 5000 labels...preferably 1000 labels. And you want someone that is able to work off your own artwork...usually you can email it to them in .jpg format.

I bought mine years ago from Blond Label (sent them my artwork and the fonts I wanted to use) and have been pretty happy with what I got, but the technology has come a long way since then. And the outfit I bought from went under...or moved...or changed hands or something--I haven't been able to get in touch with them for some years.

Try

ITC Labels
1261 Broadway
New York, NY 10001

This is just one...but they said they can provide a price quote within 24 hours, so that ought to get you a feel for what's shaking.

Let us know what you find out...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
jake

#33 Post by jake »

DW/Tex,

Appreciate the contacts. I'll find out what I can and get back with everyone.
dw
Seanchaidh

#34 Post by dw »

All,

I'm looking for German style sewing awls. I don't see these used much but I'm becoming rather fond of them. If someone knows where I can purchase some of these, or has some they want to get rid of, I'd appreciate a heads up--here or in private email.

I'm also looking for a source of # 6 or # 8 King brand sewing awls. Anyone know where to get these?

The photo below shows the German sewing awls:
2203.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danames

#35 Post by danames »

The german style of awls and an assortment of other awls, hafts and needles can be found at www.colonialneedle.com/tools.htm. The german style is C5107.
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#36 Post by tjburr »

These awls are also available from Siegel of California. They sell awls produced by Vergez Blanchard, Romilly Sur andelle, France. I am sure you have there info but for those who do not.

Siegel of California
1-800-862-8956
3527 Madera Street
P.O. Box 595
Santa Ynez, Ca 93460
dw
Seanchaidh

#37 Post by dw »

Dan, Terry,

Thanks to you both. I called Colonial Needle and they may or may not have the German style awls--they bring them in from overseas...somewhere. They do have a large selection of regular sewing awls in several styles but I've not seen any of them. They seem to be carrying sizes that Barnsley has discontinued (4 and 4 1/2 inch) so even though they're coming from England, they may even be a different brand than Barnsley has.

Come to think of it I remember seeing the German style awls in the Siegal catalogue...I've not had very much success getting stuff out of them, reliably. But that may just be my bad luck.

Thanks again...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

frommer@bootmaker.com
http://www.bootmaker.com
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#38 Post by tjburr »

I have not actually ordered from them through the mail. I actually visited them. I did notice one thing that bothered me when I was there. I had a catalog and was asking about specific leathers and they would point to the same leather for multiple discriptions in their catalog. I found this somewhat disconcerting. I actually purchased a few of the awls you have shown though and they look exactly like illustrated.
jake

#39 Post by jake »

D.W.,

I'm still researching the woven labels. One question though.....what material are your labels made from?

Thanks in advance!
dw
Seanchaidh

#40 Post by dw »

Jake,

Pretty sure they're nylon.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#41 Post by dw »

Several notes:

Arensberg has sold out to McPherson Leather. Dick is retiring and going to Hawaii. McPherson has, so far, decided to continue repping Goetz in the US, although as far as I know this will be the only branch of McPherson that does. They will have a new number:1.800.832.2220

Also, speaking of Goetz, I have an email from Thilo Biedermann who is the North American area manager for Goetz--in Cambridge, Ontario. He says:
We carry the following sizes of wooden pegs (see page 121 in our catalog, however not all of them are listed):
781 130 01 Wood peg 3 1/2 - 16 (10.5mm x 1.5mm)
781 130 03 Wood peg 4/14 (12.0mm x 1.7mm)
781 130 04 Wood peg 4 1/2 - 14 (13.5mm x 1.7mm)
781 130 07 Wood peg 5/12 (15.0mm x 2.0mm)
781 130 09 Wood peg 5 1/2 - 12 (16.5mm x 2.0mm)
781 130 10 Wood peg 5/5 - 34
781 130 11 Wood peg 6/11 (18.0mm x 2.2mm)
781 130 19 Wood peg 5/8 (15.0mm x 3.0mm)
781 130 21 Wood peg 7/9 (21.0mm x 2.7mm)
781 130 23 Wood peg 8/8 (24.0mm x 3.0mm)

I hope this information will help you, however if you need any further information, also on other materials not listed in our catalog, please contact me at any time. As well, please feel free to contact me about any
products you feel we should carry and can not find in our catalog.

That mean the little 4/8 pegs that Tex was wanting are still available from Goetz...although their version is likely to be smaller in diameter than old domestic stock

Also World Trading may...repeat, *may*...be able to bring burnishable buffalo calf back to the table. They deal with the same tanneries that our previous supplier did and seemed pretty confident it was still available. I hate to raise unrealistic expectations but those of you who have experience with this beautiful and versatile leather and liked it, need to call World Trading right away and let them know that there is interest...it's called "creating a hatch." Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
Eisele's Custom Boots

#42 Post by Eisele's Custom Boots »

I would like some one to explain the differance in quality, of the burnishable buffalo calf that World Trading will handle and the calf that Garlin Neumann handles.
I paid to find the differance in what some dealers call french calf and what is real french calf, I don't want to have to do the same for the buffalo calf.
Thankyou,
Kevin
Tex Robin

#43 Post by Tex Robin »

Kevin,
There is probably no difference other than the age of the leathers. Some of Garlin-Neumanns leathers are salvaged but that is why they are cheaper. I would probably try G-Ns first. At least compare swatches from both before buying. The people at G-N are fine people to deal with....TR
dw
Seanchaidh

#44 Post by dw »

Kevin,

Good to hear from you.

Unfortunately, I jumped the gun on that one a bit...it wasn't entirely my fault but I suppose I let hope overpower caution.

I received a couple of swatch cards from World Trading. And they had a burnishable buffalo included as well as several interesting variations of glazed buffalo, polished buffalo, etc.. When I called to find out the specifics, however, they told me that what they had is all they will ever have--that they are discontinuing all their water buffalo calf.

And truth to tell, the tannery that Garlin deals with has changed their finish on the glazed buffalo and it will rub off. I don't trust it. The burnishable that Garlin used to carry...that great all around leather...they no longer carry it.

W. Pearce...now Hermes...used to carry some great mirro buffalo calf but they switched tanners and now the finish on their buffalo is no better...maybe worse...than the finish on the Garlin buffalo. Frankly, I've just about given up on water buffalo calf except maybe for tops and then only if nothing else is available. Actually, I've had less trouble with Hardke's buffalo calf lately than any other.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#45 Post by dw »

All,

I am looking for a source, new or used, for a triple hole punch...you know, the one with a small hole next to a pair of tiny holes. I know I can get them from Goetz but I'm searching for another type...the kind you can put in the needle bar of your flatbed sewing machine. Anyone have any ideas?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
norwegian
Full Name: Jan P.

#46 Post by norwegian »

DW,
The following German company make the tool you desire to your specifications, wether it should fit a sewing machine or handle. Make a drawing with measures and send it to;

Wieser Gmbh
Bahnhofstrasse 14,
D-78570 Mühlheim,
GERMANY

Until next time
JPM
dw
Seanchaidh

#47 Post by dw »

Jan Petter,

Thanks for the info. I'll drop them a line. I hope their English is better than my German. (I just go to one of the translation services online and pick up a English to German translation of my letter...I know it's not always grammatically correct, though)

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
norwegian
Full Name: Jan P.

#48 Post by norwegian »

DW,
Addresse your letter to Mr. Peter Höllrigt. His english is fine.

Until next time
JPM
Elizabeth Connelly

#49 Post by Elizabeth Connelly »

I'm looking for cork filler (the kind you spread on to the bottom of a shoe...even though I think this is somewhat toxic) or cork sheets. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
THANK YOU!
Tex Robin

#50 Post by Tex Robin »

Elizabeth,

I don't know about the liquid form but you can get the pre-cut cork fillers from yourlocal shoe finding vendor, or you can go to an auto parts store ang buy sheets of 1/8 gasket material and cut your own. Hope this helps...TR