Welt

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

Re: Welt

#101 Post by athan_chilton »

DW, this explains why Horween sent me samples...but refused thereafter to talk to me on the phone, take orders, return calls, etc. etc. They weren't even polite enough to say "We don't want your business because you don't order very much!" (I was trying to order the horse butt strips for welting per my class w/you.) I found another supplier who says they're selling Horween horse butt...and perhaps that's what it is...but it's definitely second quality. When I used this stuff for side welt, and then went to trim the excess on the outside once I'd turned the boot right side out...I kept hitting nasty spots in the leather; it didn't want to trim clean no matter what. I thought it was me, or my tools...now I'm thinking "it isn't all my fault!" It's just not good leather...
poorboy

#102 Post by poorboy »

it is more than not good leather it is junk. i would be ashamed to sell that quallity product. i still like chrome excell when i can get it though. dealling with Horween is like dealing with congress. money paves the way.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#103 Post by dw »

dealling with Horween is like dealing with congress. money paves the way.

I understand your sentiment but that has not been my experience...money does not pave the way. The surcharge that they were tacking onto every order was not insignificant. And I was fully prepared for a reasonable increase in prices if I was going to continue buying from them.

That said, they have had a reputation in the Trade, time out of mind, as unresponsive to customer's needs or wishes. Talk to any leather dealer in the business and you'll hear the same thing.

I understand that they are selling quite a bit of their stock overseas now...maybe they need to consider moving the plant to Japan.

PS...their latigo is one of the best leathers of its kind being produced but even saying that, it is not $15.00 per square foot better than any other oil stuffed cowhide on the market.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
poorboy

#104 Post by poorboy »

that is very true.
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#105 Post by courtney »

So, this seems like a good place to post this.

I jjust spent a long time trying to figure out what I needed to get for my order from Weaver, when I called and gave them my customer # they told me that since I hadn't placed an order for 2 years I would need to spend $250 to be able to place my order and was I prepared to do that.

I asked what the minimum was after that and they said there was none, I asked if they could wave that since I was prepared to order a set of dies, etc. and was told I could leave a voicemail for Jim weaver.

I then called Ohio travel bag and placed an order for$190 and they could not have been more pleasent or helpfull.

After that I called standard rivet co and spent 10 min just chit chatting with the mngr and was treated great for my $50.00 order.

What's wrong with these buisnessess that act like they are doing you the ultimate favor of accepting your money?

I would much rather support business that cares about thier customers, even if weaver had something I couldn't get or had a lower price I would rather pay more or find an alternative.
farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#106 Post by farmerfalconer »

Will veg cow belly work for a welt? I got it from JH Cook and Sons in Salsbury, NC it about 7-8 oz. WHat thickness should welt be? What a good source for pre-cut welt?

THanks,
Cody
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#107 Post by paul »

Cody,
If you don't want to st yourself up for making apologies for how terrible the welt looks, being fleshy as bellies are prone to be, then get a 7-8 oz rolled horse butt. Then strip it out at 5/8", channel and grove and you're on your way.
Paul
farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#108 Post by farmerfalconer »

Thanks a lot!
Ill look in to getting some.

Cody