Needles

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
crary
Full Name: William Burton Crary

Needles

#1 Post by crary »

Can anybody tell me the correct needle for sewing Stingray. I have to make a pair of shoes out of this and have never before tried.
mnewberry
Full Name: Matt Newberry

Re: Needles

#2 Post by mnewberry »

Bill-

I haven't heard of a special needle for stingray - as far as I know, none will penetrate the "beads" on the skin, and so sewing happens in between. I choose the finer grained stuff, when possible, for seamed areas, and use a 100/16 tri needle. The biggest problem that I've had is the needle deflecting off the "beads" and hitting the needle plate. I know I've said it before, but I hate the stuff. Good luck.

Matt
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#3 Post by dw »

Matt,

I hate it, too. Several years ago, when I was playing with it, I got the bright idea of simply designing an ornamental "collar" that would replace the tongue and quarter-line on both the vamp and counter cover. The collar can actually be an overlay, of sorts, and the beads can be "popped" off underneath. This allows you to sew on smooth leather--calf or WB, or something similar--with no deflection or "raggedness" in the stitch lines, whatsoever. If the beads are popped off first, it allows the tongue and quarters to be cut without hitting beads and a pretty exact cut can be made. Then the collar can be cemented over the nude stingray and trimmed so that it is virtually the same shape as the originally cuts. The only difficulty is that the beads need to be popped off pretty precisely around the collar's leading edge...you need to sew a couple of lines of stitching to attach the collar to the stingray...and if the beads are prevalent under that edge, you'll simply have the same problems as if you didn't use a collar at all. The upshot is that the customer gets a stingray boot--with whatever (dubious) advantages that stingray confers--and you get to make a pair of boots that look like they came out of a bootshop and not a garage in Lower Elbonia. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#4 Post by admin »

On 06 May 2002, all posts prior to 25 February 2002 were moved to the first CD archive. For those interested in a copy of The Crispin Colloquy Archive CD, please contact me for further information.

Admin
sidetrack
Full Name: andreas josef

#5 Post by sidetrack »

Say Gang,

First off greetings to all! I am having a problem with my sewing machine hope someone can help out. Here it is I have a 31-15 it does everything that I want except when I want to sew my heel slides to the liner it just will not sew anything thin. Can't figure it out? Would like some feedback on what to look at or what needles to use. In fact will someone give the needle sizes for sewing vamps to tops, stitch patterns on tops, and inlays. I am limited with needle selection #18,16,14,& 11. The only leather points I have are a few 14's. I am looking to buy needles but I really don't know what to buy yet, so with that I will patiently await a response.THANK-YOU!

AJ
tmattimore

#6 Post by tmattimore »

AJ Two things. If using a roller check the clearance between the roller and needle and two possibly lower your presser foot. As to needle size that is determined by the thread you are using. As to stitching tops I can offer no help as I don't do that. As a general rule with the 31-15 if something goes wrong change the needle first.
Tom
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#7 Post by das »

Just chanced onto this source. Nothing exciting to me, but ya'all might find something you just gotta have:

http://www.colonialneedle.com/tools.htm
marc
Full Name: Marc Carlson
Been Liked: 2 times

#8 Post by marc »

(C5107) the "sickle awl" blades look interesting...

Marc
dw
Seanchaidh

#9 Post by dw »

Al,

This is the same source we discussed over a year ago...maybe two? It's a great source and worth remembering. I talked to them on the phone, way back then, and got a brochure/catalogue from them. My only reservation was that the prices seemed a bit steep at the time. Now...what with Barnsley gone...the prices might seem a bit more reasonable.

The sickle awls are the "German" awls I've mentioned from time to time. I use them on occasion and if nothing else were available could very easily make the switch from the "English" style. AFAIK they are the "Raische" brand and that's the same awl I had problems with (ruined my tulipwood haft)--an overtempered tang. Only on one awl, though and no problems since but...?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
das
Seanchaidh

#10 Post by das »

DW,

Ya think I remember stuff one to two years old? Image

Come to think of it, I do recall us talking about this outfit, but a buddy at work just sent me the link yesterday, so I thought I'd post it. First time I'd seen the website.

Those "German" style sewing awls are handy for certain tasks I find, but I still prefer round holes to diamond ones for strength.

Quiet summer. Everybody on "vacation"?
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#11 Post by paul »

I'm looking for a source for needles for my 31-15.
Anybody got a lead?
Thanks, PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#12 Post by dw »

Paul,

You might give either of these folks a try:

Dunlop Sales
P.O. Box 751
Hopkinsville, KY 42241-0751
voice (800) 626-9200
Needles, misc. sewing machine parts, etc.

Universal Sewing Supply
1011 East Park Industrial
St. Louis, MO 63130
main voice (800) 325.3390

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
Gary Goodwin

#13 Post by Gary Goodwin »

I'm looking for two things:
Needles for my Landis Straight Needle Stitcher &
SELLARI Non-heating stitching wax
gordond

#14 Post by gordond »

Hello
I am new to this group. Leather article making is still a hobby with me ,but been involved with it since 1980.Seem to spend more time collecting/restoring equipment than anything else.
I am looking for needles for a Singer 97-6 machine.I have asked locally and got a blank response. Singer in the US say that they are available?
In it's manual, they are defined as 97x3, 97x4.
Currently have a few roundpoints left, but am after chisel points. These needles are SIMANCO 180/24 and the last chisel point SIMANCO 25..both around 2& 3/4 " long.
Suitable for a 346 top thread [waxed linen].This machine version does not have the heated wax pot however.
Have read that a Schmetz 794 system will do [but only up to 5/8" sewn thickness ..shorter needles].This will be OK for most of what I want do.

Ideally someone who is familiar with this machine series would help immensely.

Also have a Junkers & Ruhe sole stitcher [SD28], which I am after needles for ....[machine is labelled as a Dania].

NB:Another internet group [iilg]has given me some great leads that I am waiting to hear from.

Thanks
Gordon
New Zealand
tomo

#15 Post by tomo »

Hi Gordon,
try Walker Howley in Auckland or Sewingtime on 09 522 0863. Singer needles (SIMANCO) are now made by ???. Sorry can't remember now, it'll come to me. If you want needles for the Junker they are available but not here. I'll contact a friend who has one and let you know.
More power to y'awl.
T.
dw
Seanchaidh

#16 Post by dw »

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy, Gordon. We're getting our fair shair of Kiwis and Ozzies. Good on ya, mates

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
gordond

#17 Post by gordond »

Thanks Tom
I'll try ST again..had no luck last time [maybe wrong day and wrong person].I'm in Penrose, Auckland weekdays, so will give Walker a try, only about 2 km away ..thanks for looking into the Junker needles.

And thanks DW for the welcome......

Cheers
Gordon
NZ
ridgerunrbunny

#18 Post by ridgerunrbunny »

Just purchased a Gritzner Sole Stitcher and wanting to know if anyone has had any luck locating needles or having needles modified from other machines? Will probably be in need sooner or later. Sources anyone?

Bunny
thomd

#19 Post by thomd »

I am looking for leather needles for a variety of old Singer sewing machines, and finding sources on ebay. Another place that has them is CTSusa.com. I haven't used them yet, but they do have a wide sellection, and great prices.

Most of the needles are designated as sizes like 100/16. The first number is supposed to be an actual needle diameter number in nanometers. That would be useful because one could measure unknown needles and find the size by diameter. I did a conversion for 100 nanometers, and found it was thousandth's of thousandth's of an inch nothing close to the actual diameter. What gives?

Also a question for people with patchers. I have some fine needles for shoes, and will probably leave it set up for those most of the time. I was wondering though, which of the larger needle sizes would be a good additional size to stock for repairs or general leather work. A kind of "if you could only have 2 needle sizes, a 16 and something else larger, on a desert island..." question.
das
Seanchaidh

#20 Post by das »

Thom,

If I could have only one machine on your desert island, it'd be a Singer patcher. I've managed to gather a supply of sizes #12, #14, and #16 patcher needles, but if I had to have one other size, maybe a #19, or #23 for heavier work. Because of the 360 degree feed, twist-point "leather" needles are only aligned correctly feeding front to back. If stitching sideways or up the arm, the shape of the holes and alignment is "wrong" and can make the stitching look weird, so do try to lay in some round-point needles to if you like to sew in weird directions with the beastie.
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#21 Post by dearbone »

Junker Ruh Needles,

There are limited supply of needles, size 5,6,8
10 needles for 120 USD
20 needles for 225 USD

Here is the contact email, greenmanleather.ca He also mentioned the order is going around 5ish today. good luck.
I have no personal gain here, I was offered the needles,but i don't own a junker.

Nasser
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#22 Post by jesselee »

Nasser,

Thanks. I am in touch with Stephen and was on this in the morning.

Cheers,
JesseLee
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#23 Post by dearbone »

Jesse Lee,

I was hoping you you get this post on time,But good to hear you are on it, Now i will be nervous stitching,knowing that each needle cost 12 USD.Image

Nasser.
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#24 Post by jesselee »

Nasser,

I hope all 10 of them behave at that price. But she's an incredible little machine and sews such a fine stitch. I think she's worth it.

Cheers,

JesseLee
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#25 Post by admin »

Proxy Posting

Hello Stephen here from www.greenmanleather.ca From Ontario! I am emailing to let Junker Ruh SD 28 users know I found a person selling off a shoe business with a supply of Junker Ruh needles. I am working on a bulk order of Junker Ruh Needles. Found 5,6,8 Junker ruh needles.

I know supply is short and 6 of us are buying as much as we can.

Contact us at the above email address for further information. Our order is going in later on this afternoon today or tomorrow so have a think about it. My only interest to to promote the use of this machine as well buying a supply for my own leather work.