Thread

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
shoestring

Re: Thread

#326 Post by shoestring »

Jake,
Was that a fudge wheel used or the tool you made a while back from plyers.And thanks for that info on the #5.
Ed
jake
Full Name: Jake

#327 Post by jake »

Paul,

Truly appreciate your kind words! Stop by any time.

Ed,

No...it was done with my Tex Robin's plyers. I really like them! You can control the depth of your marks, and keep'em nice and straight.
shoestring

#328 Post by shoestring »

Jake,
Those plyers did a fine job as a matter of fact I
made a pair just haven't used them yet.When some one ask what type of plyers they are or what you call that tool I will call them a "Tex Robin's"
tool.
Ed
jake

#329 Post by jake »

Ed,

I think that's appropriate. It's exactly what I call them, in recognition for Tex Robin's generosity and respect for his dad.

Not to take anything away from Tex, he graciously gave me instructions on making them, but I believe his dad (W.L. Robin and also known as Tex) started using modified pliers "way back when". Tex kinda grew up with them in his hand. Like I said, they were both called Tex, so "Tex Robin's pliers" fits.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#330 Post by dw »

Jake,

You know, of course, that I was ribbing you about 16 to the inch. Like I said I stitich at 10 to the inch and that looks small to me. But I thought you might be interested in the following:
THE object of stitching is to attach the sole to the welt, a vertical seam being used. The sections forming the seam are laid one over the other, and held together by means of a thread.
The length of the stitch must be governed by the substance of the edge and the class of shoe being made. The number of stitches per inch, in conjunction with the awl being used, must allow of sufficient material between each stitch to enable the thread to obtain a grip. In the shoe illustrated we are stitching to the fudge of eleven per inch, and the stitching awl must be of sufficient strength to pierce the edge and make a perforation large enough for the threads. The awl must have sufficient curvature to enable it to come out at the bottom of the channel, and must be sharpened with a fine file to a long tapering point, equal on each side.

In filing set with the bottom edge the longer. The rough sides produced with the file will assist in controlling during the plunge, and in keeping a uniform amount of the awl coming through on the channel on the sole side, the first essential of uniform perforations.

MAKING A STITCHING THREAD

The thread used must be of sufficient strength to stand the strain during wear, and keep the sole firmly attached to the welt, though unnecessary thread must be avoided on account of the rigidity it produces. The thread must be large enough to fill the hole made by the awl and to show up on the welt as an embellishment in harmony with the edge and the upper. Boots and Shoes, Vol. VI H. Rollinson, F.Y. Golding, ed.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

frommer@bootmaker.com
http://www.bootmaker.com

"Little Jack Dandiprat, in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives the shorter he grows."
jake

#331 Post by jake »

Dee-Dubb,

No....I didn't know you were kidding! Image Like every good mentor, I considered it an "encouragement"! Or like I do my cattle....prodding! Image Give me some time! I'll work on it.

I really enjoyed the Golding quote. One of these days I should buy one of the books. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Take care Ol'Buddy!
jake

#332 Post by jake »

I've made a few changes in my process of hand sewing the outsole. I'll try to take pics of the individual steps in the very near future.

This boot was sewn @ 6 spi with Dacron 6 cord. Nothing special, but I'm still working on my technique. As time goes by, my stitching is getting straighter. Next chore is getting them closer...7 spi, 8 spi, 9 spi, etc. I really like the way the sole looks. Not even a hint of the thread poking proud Image.
3028.jpg

3029.jpg

3030.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erickgeer

#333 Post by erickgeer »

That looks really great! hand stitching?
BTW, what kind of leather is the Vamp on this?

Erick
tomo

#334 Post by tomo »

Jake that handsewing looks fantastic!
Is the blue Vamp Elephant?

More power to y'awl.
(...as if you need it) Image
T
shoestring

#335 Post by shoestring »

Jake old boy you're looking mighty good there.
Ed
jake

#336 Post by jake »

Erick, Tom, and Ed,

Thanks Amigos for the kinds words! It sure makes my efforts that much sweeter. Mucho Gracious!

The vamp is black elephant. I've bought myself a "compact" digital camera. Was seeing what it would do on close-ups. Well, colour is always a problem with digitals.

I'll try to get to the other boot and set up a series of pics to describe my technique. I tell ya, hand sewing the outsole ain't that big a deal, if you have the wax and bristles. Look forward to my next posting.

Thanks once again Fellers!
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#337 Post by dw »

Jake,

Very nice...you've definitely "got it going on."

Question, however...I thought you were channeling in from the side on your outsoles?

PS I hope you didn't get rid of your Sony, you never had colour problems with it! Of course, there's always a silver lining...now you'll have to learn to colour correct in PhotoPaint. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
jake

#338 Post by jake »

Hey Dee-Dubb,

Thanks Ol'Buddy!

I took a tip from you and make a vertical cut like the channel knife on a curve needle stitcher. That's one of my "changes". I like it much better!

Oh....I'll never get rid of my Sony. I just wanted to be able to carry a digital camera around without having to carry a "mammoth" like my Sony. The "compact" is a Gateway Image. I get "Moola" points with my credit card. I had so much accumulated that the compact cost me very little. Wish I had bought a small Sony!

Yeah.....crank up PhotoPaint!

Take care!
jake

#339 Post by jake »

Ok....here we go.

At this point, I've cemented my outsoles on, pegged them, and let them dry. It's my opinion that the "tempered" outsole will shrink a certain amount, and the pressure of awling the outsole will twist or distort the outsole.

Next we take our dividers and scribe a line where we want our stitching. I DON'T STITCH GROOVE IT! Take your overstitch wheel and follow your divider line. Then take a saddler's awl and awl down through the welt. Just go through the welt! We're setting up our stitching for straightness and spacing.
3036.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jake

#340 Post by jake »

I usually start wetting my sole with a sponge at this point. While I'm preparing my bristles and thread, I'll go back to the sole and wet it about three or four times.

After the sole has "mellowed" a bit, I'll take my American Channel Knife and make a vertical cut around the sole. Then I'll take my large creaser and open up the cut.
3038.jpg
jake

#341 Post by jake »

I proceed with my next tool....a swivel knife. It has a profile similar to a channel knife on a curve needle stitcher. I go around with my swivel knife until the cut is approximatley 1/2 the thickness of my outsole. With each trip around the outsole, I'll take my large creaser and open up the cut.
3040.jpg
jake

#342 Post by jake »

I then take my 3" sewing awl and awl my holes. Once I start, I awl all my holes. In my opinion, once you get the motion going, you tend to hit your "mark" a lot easier. I occassionally dip my awl into beeswax.
3042.jpg
jake

#343 Post by jake »

I always start on the right side of the boot with the toe into my belly. Hand stitch, trying to pull the same with each stitch. I've hit my groove pretty good on this one. It will be some time before the customer wears into those stitches.
3044.jpg
jake

#344 Post by jake »

Then close your groove. I use this product to smooth everything into place. It's also good for chasing wrinkles while crimping. It lubricates and protects the leather while working it. Good stuff!
3046.jpg
jake

#345 Post by jake »

Here's the closed outsole....with some fine buffing and inking, you'll never see the line.
3048.jpg
jake

#346 Post by jake »

And here's the finished stitched welt. Notice the "submerged" stitch on the upper right side of the toe. I believe it's from my "misplaced" awl hole.
3050.jpg
jake

#347 Post by jake »

Final thoughts.....

When cutting your vertical groove on the sole, give yourself a little more room (wider from edge of sole) behind the ball of the foot, medial and lateral sides. You'll need it as you awl the holes. You'll be awling at a different angle as you approach the shank of the boot. All I can say is, you'll know what I mean when you start Image.

I guess a feller could use a straight awl while awling most of the sole, but you definitely need the curved sewing awl behind the ball. I don't use a straight awl because I get accustom to the angle of my sewing awl, and switching tends to confuse the mind. Like I said, you get into a motion or rhythm. In my opinion, switching awls tends to mess this up.

And finally, all this wouldn't have come to harvest if it hadn't been for two good friends...D.W. Frommer II and Al Saguto (aka Martha). A deep tip of the hat to both of you. It's imperative to learn D.W.'s bristle technique. It makes things so much easier! Hell, I hardly ever pick up a metal needle any more. His wax recipe is essential also. I could go on and on, but we've talked about these things elsewhere on the Forum. I can't stress enough to research the archives. I do when I have the time. You'll be surprise what you missed!

Well, there you are! Like I said this is an evolving process for me, but I believe I'm on the right path. Hope it helps in some small way.
shoestring

#348 Post by shoestring »

Jake,
Take the coinfusion out of my head.Why you don't grove the stitch channel.This is so close to saddle stitching it's like they are first cousins,and are you going to use your "fudge plyers" next.By the way the color mix up still made for a nice color vamp.You have done a super job.
Ed
jake

#349 Post by jake »

Ed,

Well, I've always been "heavy-handed", so my stitches are pulled pretty tight. The stitch groove will help in keeping your stitches straighter, but if you're careful and perform the "welt-punch" procedure, the stitches will be straight, but not pulled down into the welt so deep.

I'll use my "Tex Robins' welt pliers" during the top treeing stage. The very next procedure on these boots will be smoothing the shank pegs some and stacking the heels.

Once again, I appreciate the kind words. Thanks!
cmw
Full Name: Chris
Been Liked: 1 time

#350 Post by cmw »

Jake

I’ll join in the chorus, great work!

I really like the swivel knife tough. It's a great idea.

Keep up the good work.
CW