Thread

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

Re: Thread

#176 Post by admin »

On 06 May 2002, 200+ posts (everything prior to 25 February 2002) were moved to the first CD archive.

Admin
shane
Full Name: shane deeter
Been Liked: 2 times

#177 Post by shane »

To all,
I was wondering if any one has used embroidery thread for top stitching. I see Lisa has talked about it, but never heard how it turned out. You can get about a million colors. Does anyone know how to compare the sizes with our nylon threads? I see it comes in 40 weight. i wonder if that is slightly smaller than 46 or if they are using a different system. Any comments would be helpful.
Thanks
Shane
Lisa Sorrell

#178 Post by Lisa Sorrell »

Shane,
I never did actually try it. I called Solo Thread and couldn't really figure out their thread sizes. The lady I was talking to didn't know any of my thread designations (B=33, C=46, D=69) and I didn't know any of hers so I couldn't figure out if she had anything that would work or not. I know a guy who uses embroidery thread. I'll see if I can get him on here to explain it to us.

Lisa
shane

#179 Post by shane »

Lisa,
Thanks. Maybe I'll just have to buy a spool and try it.
Shane
Eisele's Custom Boots

#180 Post by Eisele's Custom Boots »

Shane,
I bought some spools from the Medara thread co., a embroidery thread co. that produces a poly thread. The weight i ordered was a 40 and a50 weight. The 50 comes closest to a 46, but the thread would not hold up. I found it to be a much weaker thread and would break constantly.
Kevin
shane

#181 Post by shane »

Kevin,
Thanks for the warning, I guess I will just whine and wish I had all those beutiful colors in nylon.
Shane
Driftwood

#182 Post by Driftwood »

"Good judgement comes from a life time of experience.And most of that is achieved through bad judgement." These timeless words belong to Will Rogers. At Lisa's prompting I will make this offering to you Shane. The textile industry and the shoe industry have different designations of numerical sizing for thread. I have been using embroidery thread for the past 25 years and it does beautiful topstitching. You can ask Lisa she has seen it. I will be glad to help you with getting the information just give me a call as using this high tech contraption is very slow for me. I am better suited to cans and a string!You may reach me at 1-918-647-2085.
fneiii

#183 Post by fneiii »

Shane
Have you checked out Synthetic Thread?
They have about 108 colors.
Synthetic Thread
1-800-836-0525
email: info@syntheticthread.com
www.syntheticthread.com
Frank
Lisa Sorrell

#184 Post by Lisa Sorrell »

I just called Synthetic Thread. The man I spoke with was very pleasant and helpful. They do produce a bonded nylon thread in size 33, which is what I prefer to use for topstitching. However, they only make the size 33 on demand. That means that you either have to order 100 lbs. of one color to get that color, or buy what they happen to have in stock. Right now they have about 21 colors in stock of the 33 weight. They're sending me a thread color chart. They have a minimum order of $100. He told me all the size 33 colors in stock. When I get the chart I'll look them up and see if I'm interested in any of them. If any of you want to order your own color charts, I'll list the colors they have in stock on the forum. If anyone else needs 33 thread I'll be happy to place the order and take care of distributing it.

Lisa
shane

#185 Post by shane »

Lisa,
I also prefer 33 for top stitching. I emailed synthetic thread and they are sending me a thread color card and a catalog. I would be happy to split an order with you. Thank you for your willingness to help.
Frank,
Thank you for the email address.
Driftwood,
I am going to go over to an embroidery place I found about 45 miles away, and discuss and look at what this type of thread is all about. If I need any other assitance I will call you. I am gratefull for your offer of help.
Thanks to all
Shane
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#186 Post by dw »

Lisa, all,

I started to post this the other day but for some reason, I lost it. And what with the shop coming together great guns, I just haven't had the opportunity to rewrite it...

I use size 46 bonded nylon thread for my top stitching and size 33 for inlay work. I've gotten colour cards from Synthetic, and American, and American Efrid, and Rice, and a slew of others. I've even tried dealing with all of them at one time or another although my start-up order when I first began bootmaking was from Holland Thread Company and I still regret their passing. It's very frustrating dealing with the manufacturers because they don't want to deal with small orders.

Then I got a colour card from Sherman Shoe Supply. I'm sure that it is the same card as one of the others mentioned but the name is cut off. No problem. Sherman Shoe Supply deals with all of the above and some not mentioned. So almost any colour I see on the various colour cards I can get...in 6 ounce or one pound spools, size 33, 46 or 69, and one spool at a time. There must be 120 colours...shades on shades...six or eight blues, an equal number of reds and greens, 20-30 shades of browns and various purples oranges and yellows. Sherman Shoe Supply is also the only one that I know of that can get Nymo in large spools. I just received 6 pounds. They are probably not as cheap (by a marginal amount) as if you were dealing direct with the factories but, again you don't have to buy the kinds of quantities, either.

Anyway, I thought I'd mention it...it's an alternative and they've always done right by me.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
fneiii

#187 Post by fneiii »

Dw
What is the information for Sherman Shoe Supply?
Frank
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#188 Post by dw »

Frank,

Sherman Shoe Supply
271 Western Ave.
Lynn, MA 01904
main voice (781) 598-9853
fax (781) 598-9854

I think you want to ask for Gary Fisher...I'm in the middle of a bunch of stuff related to my new shop and the info is packed away.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
fneiii

#189 Post by fneiii »

DW
Thank you.
Frank
sidetrack
Full Name: andreas josef

#190 Post by sidetrack »

Greetings All! Can anyone out there help me to find a vender who will deal with the small guy/small order. I wish to buy Variegated thread. Sure has been a big hassle. Artisan in California is not the one, they gave me a run around like you never saw and ripped me off to the tune of 20.00 bucks. Lucky to get out that cheap! Or maybe one of you have some that you would consider selling to me? SidetrackBoots@aol.com Regards A.J.
jake
Full Name: Jake

#191 Post by jake »

Andreas,

Let me say first that variegated thread will cost you a few more pennies due to the fabrication process. Second, what colours were you interested in? I know I have some spools of red/white/blue, greens tints, and purple tints. This stuff came from Rice Thread Company. If you're interested, I can sell you a spool or you can call Rice. I don't have their number with me at this moment. Why don't you do a "keyword" search to the left of this message. I know we've talked about this before on the Forum.
jake

#192 Post by jake »

Andreas,

Just in case you can't find Rice's information with the "keyword" search, here it is:

1-800-765-RICE(7423)

Hope this helps.
gcunning
Full Name: Gary

#193 Post by gcunning »

Andreas,
I don't know if you'r coming to Wichita Falls but there is a guy who sells thread purchased from the old Nocona boot factory. He lives in Nocona and usually comes to the show. If you are not coming you can look him up in the same fashion as Jake described. I assume he still has a huge stock of it. I can't put $ figures here but it's a 1/4 of what you got ripped off.
sidetrack

#194 Post by sidetrack »

Jake,
Say thanks alot! Man I never expected a reply so quickly. I tried with Rice thread as they are here in Houston and I live on the Bay 30 miles away they told me if I am unable to buy at least 50lbs. a year they wouldn't be able to do business with me. They are the ones who hooked me up with Artisan in California as they are one of their distributers. I would like to buy a spool or two from you that seems to be the most hassle free thing at this time. So if you would E-Mail me and let me know what you want and a mailing address where I send you the $ I will be a very happy camper. These computers are GREAT this forum is a god-send just what I needed. You just don't rub elbows with boot makers in your everyday walk do you? I am new this was my first posting have many to get into. I will get on the registry and introduce myself to everyone later today I promise. Have been meaning to for a month now again Thanks for making me feel welcome. E-Mail is Sidetrackboots@aol.com Regards:A.J.
sidetrack

#195 Post by sidetrack »

Gary,
I see from your reply that you also are a early riser. Thanks a-lot for your reply and making me welcome. I'm afraid I won't be able to make the show but there is still a slim chance.As in my reply to Jake I will get on later and go to the registry and introduce myself to everyone got a wild story as to my becoming a boot maker.I sure don't recomend it, it was a rough road to travel believe me. I will see if I can track that feller down. Again thanks for your help.
jake

#196 Post by jake »

Andreas,

No problem! Will check my colours this morning and get back to you via your email address at lunch.

Welcome to the Forum!
jake

#197 Post by jake »

Andreas,

I checked my records concerning the price on Rice's variegated thread. I wanted to post it so everyone would have the information. Hate to say it, but I paid $50/lb for the variegated! I know, I know! But it's the truth! I knew it was more, but I had forgotten just how much. It was bought a couple of years ago. I have several colours and will take a pic of them and send it to you privately IF you are still interested.

Sorry I don't have better news for you.
sidetrack

#198 Post by sidetrack »

Jake.

Thank you for your time and effort! Also your speedy replies this computer is great! I would gladly purchase two lbs. from you. One of the colors I had seen and liked was called "RAINBOW" if you have I would like some, or whatever you have that you like and have the most of will be fine too. I really appreciate you. So send me some mailing info. and I will shoot the $ to you tomorrow hows that?

Regards,

A.J.
jake

#199 Post by jake »

Andreas,

Yeap, I got it! I also have it in 8 oz spools, so you don't have to buy a pound. I'll send ya a pic privately to show exactly what I have on the shelf.
sidetrack

#200 Post by sidetrack »

Jake,

Great! 8oz. spool is perfect and color Rainbow perfect too! Thats just what I want. Send me some mailing info. and what you want for 1-8oz.spool and I will send what you require today.

Thank-You,

A.J.