Boot Leathers

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
j_johansen
Full Name: J Johansen

Re: Boot Leathers

#176 Post by j_johansen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:50 pm

DW, and others
I recieved two heavy insole shoulders from Warkov- Safeer this evening. They are a bit larger, lighter in color, and more supple that the ones I had been getting from Stevenson Paxton. I'll report again after I use some of it.
Cheers, J.

jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#177 Post by jkrichard » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:59 pm

I just ordered some different sole leathers from Kaufman Shoe Repair Supply in NYC. Toscana (Super Prime) from Italy, and Cima (also Super Prime) also made in Italy ,both tanned by Global. If anyone is interested I will post full reports on how they compare to Rendenbach (or if anyone has ordered pre-cuts from Pandhandle, or the Mexican outsole shoulder from Hardtke). I expect them in...err...given the holiday rush, not to soon.

-Jeff
Member, HCC

big_larry
Full Name: Larry A. Peterson

#178 Post by big_larry » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:04 pm

Friends,

A fellow and I were discussing boots a while back and he ask me what kind of skin I thought his boots were made of. I thought they were "gater'" but it turns out that he and his father had purchased theem in Mexico and they were turtle. The boots are beautiful, however, If I am not mistaken, isn't turtle leather on the protected species list?

Are there any LEGAL turtle skins available?

Thank you,

Larry Peterson

artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme

#179 Post by artzend » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:03 pm

Larry

I am pretty sure that turtle is endangered wherever it is found so the chances of legal skins is pretty unlikely, mind you, I would have thought elephant was not legal, but I suppose it depends where you live.

Tim
www.shoemakingbook.com

j_johansen
Full Name: J Johansen

#180 Post by j_johansen » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:48 pm

Tim,Larry,
In all the African countries that have given possession of elephants to native tribal groups, and thus the responsibility of protecting, and the benefit of selling hunting permits, elephant populations have been increasing at impressive rates. This allows for legal skins to be making it to market, although all of the other countries where elephants are protected by the state have serious poaching problems and declining populations. The U.S. African Elephant Conservation Act prevents poached elephant leather from being sold here, I don't know about AU.
Turtles are however a no-no everywhere. They are protected by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and selling turtle leather is illegal in all countries who have signed the treaty. Buying the leather or selling the made boots in the US, AU, or Mexico is risking federal jail time. Mexico did not sign the CITES convention till 1991, and if he had them made before that, it was legal there, but as soon as the boots came across the border he was breaking the law (if it was after 1974, when the US signed the convention).
J.

sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell

#181 Post by sorrell » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for where to buy horse butts in both hard and soft rolled?

Lisa

artvanhecke
Full Name: Arthur Van Hecke

#182 Post by artvanhecke » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:17 pm

Hi Lisa,

http://www.maverickleathercompany.com/

You can probably get Horween Chromexcel there also. Sometimes they have cordovan ovals from Horween too.

Art

lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 2 times

#183 Post by lancepryor » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Lisa:

I have bought one from Springfield leather, though I don't know if it is soft or hard rolled.

In the past I bought them from Siegel Leather, but I think they may be out of business.

Lance

p.s. have you tried your Baker insole leather yet?

dw
Seanachaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 39 times
Been Liked: 3 times

#184 Post by dw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:22 am

For welting? I've always gotten it from Horween.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]

sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell

#185 Post by sorrell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:55 pm

No, I'm not making welting with it, I just like to have some. Eddie Kimmel makes great welt with both hard and soft rolled so I'd rather buy it from him. Siegel does appear to be out of business; one phone number rings endlessly and one says that it's out of service.

Lisa

courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#186 Post by courtney » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Lisa, Barta Hide in Petaluma, Ca. had a bunch of them last time I was there for very cheap, You might call them and ask Andy.

Courtney

sharon_raymond
Full Name: Sharon Raymond

#187 Post by sharon_raymond » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:17 pm

does anyone know what the situation is at siegel of ca? they don't seem to be answering telephone calls or emails, thanks, sharon

tomo

#188 Post by tomo » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:15 pm

Sharon we were talking about them here the other day. I haven't delt with Steven for a year or so at least. ShopTalk made mention of the fact that they had gone some time ago but there seems to be a lot of confusion.
They relocated to other premises Steven's father passed away about the same time and then that was the end.
I was subscribed to their mailing list but that hasn't come through for ages.