Boot Leathers

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
Frank English

Re: Boot Leathers

#26 Post by Frank English »

DW,
I do have the list of suppliers and I do have swatches from them. I was given a piece of French calf and I compared it to what I had and the difference was like night and day. The one sample given to me was so refined compared to what I had,that is what I am looking for. Linens with 100 count or 220 count?
Jim is still making boots and is busy, living in Massachusetts.
Frank
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#27 Post by dw »

Frank,

Well, Greg's (GH Leather) French Calf is the best I've ever seen--as good as the swatches of Freudenberg I've seen.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
fneiii

#28 Post by fneiii »

To all,
I just found out that Stevenson-Paxton opened another leather store in Sheridan, Wyoming. Since S-P can't sell kangaroo from their Ca. store they are selling it through their new one---Sheridan Leather Outfitters,1-888-803-3030. If you already knew this--never mind!
Frank
Tex Robin

#29 Post by Tex Robin »

Frank, All,

I just received three Roo skins from the Sheridan branch of Stevenson-Paxton. It was Red, Hot Pink and Yellow. It looks great and if I had the pink earlier for the WF show I would have made Margaret a pair from it. It looks great and I believe it will work great. Maybe a pair of Red ones for me? Image .. More later....TR
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#30 Post by tjburr »

Hello,

I am thinking about making a pair of 1870's era riding boots. Most of my shoe making experience has been in the making of medieval/ren shoes with a few pairs of hiking boots and dress shoes. So this will be an interesting change.

I was hoping to get some advise on the type and weight of leather to use.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Terry
Mick Nesseim

#31 Post by Mick Nesseim »

All
I got 3 of the kangaroo skins from
stevenson-paxton california a while back.
The fawn and dark green. Used the fawn for boot
tops and the green for the inlay. They worked good. Will be getting more from them.
Mick
Mike Strong

#32 Post by Mike Strong »

All,

I need to get some smooth ostrich in black or burgundy. I need just enough to make a set of vamps and heel counter for a dress roper about a size 11. If anyone has some just laying around let me know. You can E-mail me at cmstrong@fmtc.com. Thanks for your time.

Mike
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#33 Post by paul »

Mike,
I'm sorry I don't have any. But it comes to mind for me, early in my career as a bootmaker, that it'd would be a great exotic leather to always have on hand.
My back ground and experience has been all over the table in Leather, and I have consistently seen the 'daring' customer go for any fine looking black leather, rather than something more fun, when they're choosing a leather for their custom project.
As soon as I add another few hundred to my account, I'm gonna do just that.

Maybe next time.

PK
fneiii

#34 Post by fneiii »

Help,
I called to order red kangaroo from Sheridan Leather Outfitters and was told they were out of it for the next three weeks. I asked who made the purchased and was told it was a group order. So I was hoping that someone might be willing to give one hide up. I would be most appreciative and willing to even pay for it
Frank
Eisele's Custom Boots

#35 Post by Eisele's Custom Boots »

I am looking for a source of Boar Hide. I used to buy it from Coey Tanning, but they don't produce it anymore. I need it in a tan colorand about 4-5 oz.
Thanks,
Kevin
dw
Seanchaidh

#36 Post by dw »

Frank,

As it turns out, I believe I got the last five red kangaroo skins from Sheridan Leather. I have hesitated to answer until I was sure I would have enough for my own use. But I believe I will have one skin left over. Let me know if you are still interested.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
fneiii

#37 Post by fneiii »

DW,
Yes I am still interested. I sent an email to you ,don't know if it you received it. If it got lost in space my email is FNEcustomboots@aol.com .
Thank you very much.
Frank
dw
Seanchaidh

#38 Post by dw »

For those of you interested in another source of ostrich or more specifically, having raw hides, especially those of game animals such as elk, deer, alligator, kudu, eland, etc., tanned for making boots, the following was submitted to me by Mr. CR Kokesh who completed a very successful safari last year:

Specialty Leather Processors
2135 Industrial Park Rd
Boone, IA 50036
(515) 433-0176
http://www.specialtyleather.com/

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
Beverly McCord

#39 Post by Beverly McCord »

Can anyone provide a pic/description of sea turtle leather? This is in reference to a pair of vintage boots my husband bought because they fit him perfectly and are quite simply art for the feet. We'd like to know if the sea turtle part is real, though.

Also, I noticed a discussion here about colored kangaroo leather. A couple of years ago I bought out all the stock of yellow kangaroo hide from a fellow in Springfield, Mo. There are maybe five hides in my stock, if any of you are looking.

My bootmaking is taking a real backseat to making a living until I can take another bootmaking course and get some time out to do it well.
gcunning
Full Name: Gary

#40 Post by gcunning »

Beverly,
I have sea turtle at home. I can't sell it because it is banned. So all I can do is look at it. I purchased a shop and it was in the shop. I have some pictures of tools I wanted to take so I will try to take some of the leather when I do. I will post the leather pictures under the Gallery - if that is ok DW??
Tex Robin

#41 Post by Tex Robin »

Gary all,

Can anyone give us the exact law that prohibits the use of existing Sea Turtle(meaning already in possesion)I know it is regulated but am not certain exactly what the ruling is on it.....TR
dw
Seanchaidh

#42 Post by dw »

Gary,

Why not post those photos right here in "Sources" ? The Gallery is supposed to be strictly for photos of finished boots and shoes. In fact, even *comments* about photos of finished work are supposed to go into "Gallery Gossip" rather than into "The Gallery." That's how fanatically organized I am. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
rosynay

#43 Post by rosynay »

In the mid seventies my husband bought a pair of pointed toed sea turtle boots
in Mexico for the big sum of $38.00.
He loved those boots. After wearing them several years they were stolen.
We never had a clue what happened to them but I expect some service people
got them. As well as I remember they
looked very much like some parts of an
alligator particulary the leg area.
It wouldn't surprise me if one could
still buy sea turtle boots in Mexico.

About two years ago a bootmaker advertised some sea turtle boots on the internet. He had some skins from when
it was legal to bring them into the
USA. Gary it may be worthwhile to explore further if your sea turtle skin can be used. RL
Jennifer June

#44 Post by Jennifer June »

Howdy all --

I get asked about the sea turtle and the elephant "question" quite a bit...mostly from the customer end. I'm looking into it, but haven't gotten that far...here's one response I found, specifically about ebay purchases, but I think it most likely applies to bootmakers as well...

"In 1973, the United States Congress passed the Endangered Species Act, making it illegal to buy or sell endangered species like the hawksbill turtle....

On Jan. 6, about about 50 genuine tortoise shell items were listed for sale through ebay, said Gary Appelson, advocacy coordinator for the nonprofit Caribbean Conservation Corporation (CCC). The illegal products included intricately designed hair ornaments and glasses cases. The bidding on an unworked "scute" or piece of hawksbill shell was at $480, with nearly 30 bids registered. The seller, listed only as "isabeII4," said it was "perfectly legal" to sell the piece because it had been given as a gift many years ago, implying that it was originally purchased before the Endangered Species Act was passed. IsabeII4 suggested that the piece, when worked, would make several sets of wrist cuffs or hair combs.

As for whether it is legal to sell pre-Endangered Species Act sea turtle products, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service says "no." Citing an Oct. 19, 1995, U.S. Department of the Interior Solicitor's Opinion, a USFWS representative said that pre-Endangered Species Act wildlife products can never be sold in interstate commerce. This opinion applies to eBay because a 1993 Fourth Circuit Court opinion determined that merely advertising endangered wildlife in the Washington Post newspaper constituted an offer for sale in interstate commerce. Similarly, once an individual lists an endangered wildlife item on eBay, this constitutes an offer for sale in interstate commerce and the Fourth Circuit Court determination applies."

Link to the article:
http://www.cccturtle.org/n_ebay.htm
gcunning

#45 Post by gcunning »

Its 7:30 and I just walked in the door.
It sleeted and snowed here and at 19 degrees I'm not going to go warm up the shop. I will get to it this weekend.
Jennifer
I thought you can still buy elephant.??
Tex Robin

#46 Post by Tex Robin »

Gary,

You can still get Elephant. I believe some of it is coming from India though if not all of it. Can anyone give any info on this? I got some last year in WF. It wasn't as heavy as what I have seen in the past, but I prefer it that way since I am going to make them for yours truly...TR
Joe Toth

#47 Post by Joe Toth »

I ordered Elephant from John Fong Leather Co. 1610 Hyde St.
San Francisco
(415) 441-3519 12pm - 4pm PST,
In Aug. to cover a pool cue case. He has it in different colors.
Hope this helps.
Joe Toth
fneiii

#48 Post by fneiii »

To All,
There is a country in Africa that legally opened trade in Elephant hides. John Fong told me he is selling African Elephant hides and so are some other companies. There is also Elephant coming from Indonesia?
Frank
dw
Seanchaidh

#49 Post by dw »

Kelly Leather sells elephant...it's a little thin for my taste.

Greg Hochhauser sells elephant...it's just about right, as far as I'm concerned.

John Fong's elephant tends to be too heavy for me...most of what I've seen was running 6-8 ounce.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
gcunning

#50 Post by gcunning »

I would assume it fruitless to buy some elephant for a rainy day. If they ban it and you own it you cannot make a pair of boots to sell (by June's posting). Correct??
Kind of like my turtle skin.