Books, Manuals, Publications

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
andre

Re: Books, Manuals, Publications

#326 Post by andre »

I bought 2 dvd's on ebay, content each some 20 ancient books. I think it might be of interest to somebody. Each dvd is lesser than 10 bucks.
Here are the links:
http://stores.ebay.com/informationdave/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=635812287&_trksid=p463 4.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=4
and
http://stores.ebay.com/ebookscd/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=970155568&_trksid=p4634.c0.m1 4.l1581&_pgn=4

Andre
last_maker

#327 Post by last_maker »

Andre'

Many of those books that are being resold buy this person are free on the internet from internet archive and google books. I am sure that is where this person got them. It is a bit illegal for this person to be selling them, I think, since they are public domain.

-Marlietta
marc
Full Name: Marc Carlson
Been Liked: 2 times

#328 Post by marc »

Marlietta,

Didn't you mean to say "since they are not in the public domain"? - although a quick look through the shoemaking books revealed nothing but PD books.

It is perfectly hunky dory to scan and sell copies of books in the Public Domain. It is illegal to copy and sell copies of materials that are still in copyright.

Marc
marc

#329 Post by marc »

BTW, as long as I'm here this morning, if people want to see the new re-cataloging job on the guild library, go to http://www.lib.utulsa.edu/ and do a subject search for "Honourable Cordwainers Company library".

The cataloger is getting to them as quickly as she can, and still get the rest of her work done, but as soon as you see something in the catalog, you can try to request it through ILL at your local library.

Marc
hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

#330 Post by hidesmith »

I love these CDs. There are several companies scanning and selling these books, and the information found therein is invaluable! I have purchased several of these CDs, each with multiple books on them. They can be printed and used in any way one likes. I have been increasing my elibrary in this way and am happy to have had some one else find these books and compile them for me, and Penny likes the fact that these books are so compact.
If I'm not mistaken, copyright rule-of-thumb is 75 years after its original publication, and it qualifies for public domain.
Marc, are you in a position to offer input here?
frank_jones
Full Name: Frank Jones

#331 Post by frank_jones »

Marc Carlson

Wow! I know you spoke in Delavan about the HCC Library being “up” at Tulsa soon, but somehow seeing the first few publications up there has brought it home to me.

For years we have talked about making the collection of literature more available but this is a ground breaking thing. Soon it won’t be necessary for boot/shoemakers to have to pay ebay, amazon, etc. to get direct access to those special tracts.

I am sure there is a long list of people who in the HCC who have contributed towards this event over many years but without YOUR interest, expertise, contacts, status in the right places and personal commitment, it probably would not even be getting started. Having such a facility is in the objectives of the HCC.

I cannot speak for others but for me you need a BIG thank you.

Frank Jones
frank.jones@noblefootwear.com
marc

#332 Post by marc »

Frank,

Thank you, and there have been a lot of people behind this.

Bruce,

The in and out tables for when this or that come out of copyright are really annoyingly complicated, but a good rule of thumb is if it was published pre-1923 (in the US), the answer is it's in the PD. Between 1923 and 1978, the odds are good it's still under copyright for 95 years after date of publication. From 1978 on, it's currently under copyright.

Unpublished materials are date of death of the author +70.

Marc
andre

#333 Post by andre »

If you think it's illegal, than I request the Admin to delete the links.
Andre
hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

#334 Post by hidesmith »

Marc,

I must have jumbled the 95 years from the date of publication together with the 70 years after the author's death. Glad you were able to correct me.

B
last_maker

#335 Post by last_maker »

Who is the HCC Reprint coordinator now? and how can I get ahold of Him/Her???

In a post a year or two ago, Al was talking to someone else about getting this book:
The Tebbutt book is: Last Making and Last Measurement; (London,1889) by Albert E. Tebbutt.

and mentions that one can obtain a reprint from the HCC coordinator??? is this true???

I did a worldcat search and one came up available at British Library, The
St. Pancras However, when calling them, they do not have it on record of having it. I did a google and book search for it too, of no avail. So I am hopeful that the HCC library has it????? and I could get a Reprint if not a PDF???? PDF preferred. That would be greatly appreciated.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Marlietta
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#336 Post by dearbone »

Speaking of books, Here is my new find and there is a jewel among them, A MANUAL OF BOOT & SHOE MANUFACTURE 1893, I am reading it and recommend it if one can find a copy or a download from somewhere,it will be worth it for the bespoke B/S makers,it has a chapter on lasts and last-fitting,very relevant of what Al is writing on subject of last and helpful to the bespoke makers.
12497.jpg

Nasser
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
roy_najecki
Full Name: Roy Najecki

#337 Post by roy_najecki »

On the front page of the January 10, 2011 Wall Street Journal is an article on the Brannock device. Mention is also made of the Ritz stick.
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor

#338 Post by lancepryor »

By Marlietta Schock on Friday, December 03, 2010 - 11:21 am: Edit Post

Who is the HCC Reprint coordinator now? and how can I get ahold of Him/Her???

In a post a year or two ago, Al was talking to someone else about getting this book:
The Tebbutt book is: Last Making and Last Measurement; (London,1889) by Albert E. Tebbutt.

and mentions that one can obtain a reprint from the HCC coordinator??? is this true???

I did a worldcat search and one came up available at British Library, The
St. Pancras However, when calling them, they do not have it on record of having it. I did a google and book search for it too, of no avail. So I am hopeful that the HCC library has it????? and I could get a Reprint if not a PDF???? PDF preferred. That would be greatly appreciated.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

-Marlietta

Marlietta:

See the HCC homepage > Resources > The Guild Library for contact information and a list of reprints available.

I don't believe the HCC has Tebbutt. For what it is worth, when I was going to be in London a few years ago, I arranged a pass with the British Library and went specifically to review Tebbutt. In my opinion, it was of virtually no value to me as someone who wants to learn more about bespoke lastmaking. It was largely about factory lasts, and much of it covered things like the machinery and the wood, rather than much detail around last design. I was in and out of the library in about 1 hour, including getting my pass, waiting for the book to be brought out, etc. In other words, IMO you're not missing much.

Lance
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#339 Post by das »

Lance,

Bill Niemczyk
William Julian
20 Lakeside Drive
Granby, CT 06035
(860) 844-8440

Like is says right there under links off the HCC home page Image
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor

#340 Post by lancepryor »

Al:

Thanks, yes I knew this....

Just thought for longer-term knowledge, I'd show where this information resides so that if the person in charge changes, future readers wouldn't bother Bill. Plus, that link also has the list of reprints available.

Lance
last_maker

#341 Post by last_maker »

Thank you lance for your information and opinion. I wish the Britsh library could make it availalble on line. that would be nice. I find that when I read any shoe making or last making book, there doesn't seem to be one particular book that covers it all. Whereas, one has to take tidbits from different resources to find answers.

On the other hand, Lance, You have a wonderful resource of a friend you can ask. I have read you refer to him often when you get your blanks.

Anyway, once again, thanks both Al and Lance for your replys. I truely appreciate it.

-Marlietta
janne_melkersson
Full Name: Jan-Erik Melkersson
Been Liked: 1 time

#343 Post by janne_melkersson »

Thank you Rick for posting the links.
The tutorial was great and cristal clear, if you read this Marcel, good on you.
Janne
marleneg
Full Name: Susanne Schmidt Luebke

#344 Post by marleneg »

Does anybody have a recommendation concerning a good manual / book on court shoes or women shoes in general? Unfortunaley most of the time mainly the mens part is covered [img]http://www.thehcc.org/forum/images/old_smilies/sad.gif"%20ALT="sad[/img]

thank you so much
Marlene
dearbone

#345 Post by dearbone »

Marlene,

Welcome,Jim knott recently posted a video link on the "pattern making" thread that shows the whole process on how to make pattern for the court shoe,they are 10 short videos and they are on utube under "skomark1". Look it up,it is more helpful in this case than referring a book.

Nasser
marleneg
Full Name: Susanne Schmidt Luebke

#346 Post by marleneg »

Thank you very much Nasser! I know the videos and have watched them a couple if times. Unfortunately unately the dont cover sewing the patterns and the rest if the work. they are great for creating the patterns!!
thank you so much for your help
Marlene
dearbone

#347 Post by dearbone »

Marlene,

You are welcome, For that you have to wait for my videos when they are madeImage.The sewing/closing of the court shoe is most simple,most important a correct pattern/upper, to close/sew this upper of course by attaching the pieces of the upper and making the lining a little smaller(let go the seam allowance for the lining) and allow 5 mm for trimming. Fitting/cutting lining for different uppers in shoe making is a science on it's own,i spent many night hours thinking how to do this the best way possible and it is a good feeling when done correctly, Good luck to you on this amazing journey.

Nasser
tomo

#348 Post by tomo »

Dw I'd like to say thank you for the amazing job you did on Thornton's work. It truely comes across as a labour of love.
Still only part way through reading it but outstanding.

Can you clarify something that astounds me? On page six under Area they mention cattle hides being up to 120 square feet! You must've seen this... What cattle grow this big?? It couldn't have been as a result of how they worked the hide surely. Most of the cattle we have here can be traced back to the UK and Scotland eg Angus and Hereford. Even the exotics like Simmintal and Santa Gertrudis aren't that big. 120 sq ft is huge.
T.

I don't doubt your work, I'm just astounded. Image
Tom.
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

#349 Post by tjburr »

DW,

Thanks very much for posting Thornton's book in PDF. This collection of books you have converted are truely amazing and a contribution to the future of making shoes and boots.

Terry
johnl
Full Name: John Lewis

#350 Post by johnl »

For anyone thinking about scanning in a book or books on shoemaking etc. Saw this today. A homemade book scanner that turns its own pages that they claim can do a 1000 page book in 90 minutes.

www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639016/google-books-scanner-vacuum-diy
John Lewis