Books, Manuals, Publications

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
relferink

Re: Books, Manuals, Publications

#251 Post by relferink »

DW,

Not to take away from you point or the hard work you put into restoring the Golding series but the Google scanned books can be searched based on their text.
If you choose to download the book you can not search it yourself, only the on-line version and it takes some getting used to the interface. For those interested use the advance search on the Google book page. By filling in the fields in the lower half of the screen you can narrow you search to just a single book, or if so desired a single or multiple topics.

The scanned books are not nearly as clear or easy to read and can not be searched when not on-line. I very much prefer the "rebuild" books. I can only imagine how nice the volume is going to be that DW is currently working on, re-drawn illustrations and all. As Terry suggests, the images are the first to suffer from duplication but often hold the most information.
It is however unrealistic and unfair to expect from DW that he restores any and all books that cover or are of interest to the gentle craft. The scanned books are a nice alternative all be it of a much lesser grade.

DW, I don't know if the ISP has tracked downloads of the currently listed volumes but I see links to the HCC library, where they are hosted all over the Internet. Your efforts are greatly appreciated even if they are not always expressedImage.

Rob
amuckart
Full Name: Alasdair Muckart
Been Liked: 5 times

#252 Post by amuckart »

DW,

Firstly, thank you for the work you've done on digitising these editions of Golding. I've done largeish typesetting jobs before so I have some idea of the vast amount of work that job entails. I'm horribly behind on another writing job at the moment or I'd offer to help if I could, but perhaps once it's done there are some bits that could be shared out?

Can you share some technical details of how you're doing it? Presumably you're scanning the text, OCRing it and typesetting it. Are you using LaTeX to do the typesetting?

Thanks.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#253 Post by dw »

Alasdair,

Nothing too elaborate...I simply scan it in (the worst part about that it that it damages my copies of Golding somewhat) recognize it (OCR) correct it and then drop it into Ventura Publisher where I have a "Golding" Style set up that defines the page sizes, spacing, kerning, fonts, etc..

When it comes to straight out lithographs, I scan them in and drop them into Ventura as a jpg.but I clean them up a little.

The illustrations, I open in Coreldraw and trace. Since Ventura is a Corel product, CorelDraw and Ventura place well together.

When all is done I print/export to pdf and use Adobe Acrobat to set up links between the TOC and the Chapters/Sections, etc..

That's it...the result is not small but small enough to download for someone with broadband or a goodly amount of determination.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#254 Post by romango »

Just finished reading the 2007 book: "Faux Real - Genuine Leather and 200 Years of Inspired Fakes", available here (for cheap!) http://www.amazon.com/Faux-Real-Genuine-Leather-Inspired/dp/0309102367/ref=pd_bb s_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207454501&sr=8-1

This is an excellent history of leather and leather substitutes. It delves deep into the subject of why we are drawn to real leather and other products of nature.

I highly recommend it.
petemosley

#255 Post by petemosley »

Hi! - I'm an artist living in the UK. I made shoes for a while back in the 80's, and have a wonderful 4 volume set of the Boot and Shoe Maker, published 1936. These 4 300+ page volumes are a complete guide to the UK boot and shoemaking industry back in the 30's and have wonderful illustrations and plates. They could really use a new home with somone who is into boot and shoemaking - details and pictures can be found here: http://www.melt.me.uk/#/books/4528963552

Best wishes - Pete Mosley
petemosley

#256 Post by petemosley »

The books mentioned in the above article have now found a new home in the UK - many thanks to those of you that contacted me regarding this.
relferink

#257 Post by relferink »

Frank Jones or anyone else in the know,

Roomers about the updated and improved pattern cutters handbook have floated around for some time now. Does anybody have an update on when the book may be available?

Thanks

Rob
frank_jones
Full Name: Frank Jones

#258 Post by frank_jones »

Robert and several others

I am very pleased indeed to say the new pattern book arrived from the printers yesterday.

Perhaps a little more information might be OK here.

The new book is called “Pattern Cutting, step-by-step patterns for footwear”. It covers all the ground included in Sharpe but has been completely rewritten. This has been a big job and has taken much longer than I had expected.

The page count has increased from 134 to 170 and there are three new ‘style’ chapters - a women’s Aerobic Shoe, a Derby Boot and a women’s Monk Shoe. There is now a chapter covering Bottom Patterns, a new chapter on Grading and a section called Additional Notes covering - linings, complex springing, tongue length on a Gibson style, staggered seams, spacing between facings, generic patterns and even the sequence of closing

Further information is probably best sent by private email.

Frank Jones
frank.jones@noblefootwear.com
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#259 Post by romango »

Many of us are familiar with the book Handmade Shoes for Men by Laszlo Vass and Magda Molnar.

Although it is mostly a coffee table book, it is generally excellent and inspirational. It was the first book I saw that got me interested in shoemaking.

There is this one illustration, however, that stands out almost humorously in the number of mistaken labels. How many mistakes can you find in this picture from page 163?
7916.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#260 Post by paul »

Rick,

I agree it is a beautiful and informative book. But yes, there does seem to be several errors here. I count 7 or 8. Some of the labels seem to be just floating w/o pointers.

I wonder what happened? Mischeivious editing elves?

Paul
joey
Full Name: Joëy Beauchamp

#261 Post by joey »

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you all know that I found a secret stash of "The pattern cutter's handbook" by Michael H. Sharp. I've been told for the past couple of months that it was out of print and impossible to get, but I found a few at FIT fashion institute in NYC today. I paid 81$ + tax.

I'm not sure if they ship, but here's their #: (212) 633-9646
and URL: http://www.fashiondesignbooks.com/

Joey
btippit

#262 Post by btippit »

Rick,

Here's your problem with the picture from Handmade Shoes For Men....
7918.jpg

....it's got a bug.

Bill “The Last Man Standing” Tippit
www.globalfootwearsolutions.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frank_jones
Full Name: Frank Jones

#263 Post by frank_jones »

Joëy Beauchamp

Speaking as the person who produced and sold the “Pattern Cutter’s Handbook”, what you found is the remains of an order purchased by Barnes & Noble at FIT in early 2006. As you say the “Pattern Cutter’s Handbook” is now out of print but if you roll up from your posting you will see that the new book is available. As I said then :-

The new book is called “Pattern Cutting, step-by-step patterns for footwear”. It covers all the ground included in Sharpe but has been completely rewritten. This has been a big job and has taken much longer than I had expected.

It has since been taken up by three college/university courses in footwear.

This is not an appropriate place for me to say more. If anybody wants more information or details please email me privately.

Frank Jones
frank.jones@noblefootwear.com
joey
Full Name: Joëy Beauchamp

#264 Post by joey »

O, then my bad, I'm sorry I had no idea, I don't have time to read everything on the boards unfortunately. I was just trying to helpImage

JOey
tmattimore
Full Name: Tom Mattimore

#265 Post by tmattimore »

Bill
Could be a lost baby toe bug.
marc
Full Name: Marc Carlson
Been Liked: 2 times

#266 Post by marc »

Just to nte, We announced this weekend that not only did the HCC have a library, that it was available on Librarything.com for people to take a look at. The URL is http://www.librarything.com/profile.php?view=HCC for the profile, and http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=HCC for the catalog.

It is currently being housed at the University of Tulsa, McFarlin Library, Department of Special Collections and University Archives; and may be viewed by anyone who happens to be in the Tulsa, Oklahoma area.

For those of you who are not in the Tulsa area, or are not expecting to be here any time soon, we are looking at various options. I will keep you posted.

Marc Carlson
HCC Guild Librarian.
big_larry
Full Name: Larry A. Peterson

#267 Post by big_larry »

While I am thinking about "Books, Manuals, and Publications" I thought I would give a brief critique of the book that I have been reading, eating, sleeping with for the past few dsays. This publication is available and in my opinion, worth much more than it is marketed for.

Most folks who follow the colloquy, know that I really like the look of the "full Wellington." This book is arthored by a true Master Bootmaker and I suspect it was or could by used for a Doctoral Dissertation.

It includes patterns, sources and very excellent formulas an instructions. Mine also had a goodies section. (all right!) It included much much more than I ever expected.

While I am on my soapbox I thought I would tell you all that the highway 89 project is now finished that borders the bottom of our hay field. We had so many folks run into our fence that my son put in several wooden railroad ties just to keep the crashing cars from totalling out the fence. I owe a lot to the railroad for their surplus stuff. I even have an anvil made from a piece of steel railroad rail that I use sometimes instead of the regular anvil.

I think my bootmaking level of quality and eye appeal is definately going to improve with this new information contained within the 400 or so pages and illistrations of this book.

I do appreciate the tremendous amount of effort that has been put into it's preparation and production.

Thank you,

Larry Peterson
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#268 Post by das »

Larry,

Does this book you've been reading have a title or author's name you could share? It sounds like it might be a good one.
big_larry

#269 Post by big_larry »

D. A.,

Oh yes! The name of th book is "Bootmaker's Choice Making the Full Wellington by: D.W. Frommer

It comes in the form of a DVD/CD and requires a computer to seperate into the goodies and then the printed pages.

I am reading it for the second time and making patterns. I am having to rethink how I am presently making boots and up-grading my standards. In the past I have been focusing on a sturdy and well built product. The information in this book has "raised the bar" and this journey is nothing short of "Great!"

Mr. Frommer is a bit resistant to compliments but from where I am, compared to where he is, he is a giant! Between you and me, I don't think he realizes just what an "international treasure" he really is.

You are right, this book is a good one.

Best Wishes, Larry Peterson, (HSBM
Humbled Srudent Bootmaker
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#270 Post by dw »

Larry,

Thank you for that review and for the kind words.

I'm not really resistant to compliments...nothing I like better than compliments and presents. I just understand...at a gut level...that no matter where you stand in this business it's always on the shoulders of real giants. Almost everything I have ever done...useful as it may be...is derivative. Almost everything I have ever passed on/shared was given to me.

And more, that the worse thing a feller can do is to take comments that are meant kindly and sincerely as universal acclamation or holy writ.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
hydeandheddle

#271 Post by hydeandheddle »

How can a copy of the afore mentioned Bootmaker's Choice Making the Full
Wellington by: D.W. Frommer
be obtained?
Ron-Aspiring wannabe.
Rock Hill SC
big_larry

#272 Post by big_larry »

Ron,

I sent to D.W. Frommer II, Bootmaker, 827 N.W. Birch, Redmond, Oregon 97756. He lists a telephone number in his ad' on the internet under "D.W. Frimmer II, Bootmaker." Just google that and it will show up.

My only regret is that I didn't get this one a year ago. The colloque does not allow us go give pricing.

Best wishes, Larry Peterson
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#273 Post by admin »

It is possible to click on the username (in green, at the top of the post) of any member and get a profile sheet for that user. One of the items listed on that profile sheet will be an email address/link. Generally you can just click on that email link and a compose window will open up from which you can send an email to the party you wish to contact.

There is also an option to send a PM (private mail) to the member...this gets sent from the forum itself along with other messages sent to other members.

FYI...D.W. Frommer II's username is DWFII

Yr. Hmb. Svt.
marcell

#274 Post by marcell »

NEW FREE VIDEOS!
It is a kind of "how to", so I post it here. I made a two parts video about the slipper making I posted before. This shows every step of slipper making - even for beginners. No special experience needed (or even lasts) for it, but gives pleasure of crafting (and good christmas presents). Enjoy!

First part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0OapjlpKwk

Second part:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7momiWcq71o
mmboots

#275 Post by mmboots »

Hi, All

I'm in need of a manual for a Sutton 29-6 chain stitcher. If anyone could point me in the right direction, It would really help. Thanks

Mike