Books, Manuals, Publications

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
shoestring

Re: Books, Manuals, Publications

#201 Post by shoestring »

PK,

If you are going to make one like Tim's,why not use an empty jar that " Gracie " had food in.

Ed
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#202 Post by paul »

Good suggestion Ed. ANd she is an eater!

But now I think I'll call McPhersons.

Thanks Dee Dub.
headelf
Full Name: Georgene
Been Liked: 1 time

#203 Post by headelf »

Here's a link to a jeweler's alcohol lamp--glass with a screw advancement on the wick like a kerosene lamp. Less pricey than the previously posted stove.

http://www.nationaljewelerssupplies.com/page/NJS/PROD/ETLMP422

Georgene
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#204 Post by romango »

Now that is a good price. Just ordered one. Image
marcell

#205 Post by marcell »

30 USD? You pay so much for your stuff...
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#206 Post by dw »

That's only on stuff we have to get from over there Image

No, it's true, we probably do pay more for good tools and materials here in the states.

The glass alcohol lamp that Georgene suggested is a pretty good price and better than anything I've seen outside the collice stove from Goetz. But again you need to rig up some sort of scaffolding to support your tools.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#207 Post by romango »

It was only $7 USD, not $30
erika
Full Name: Erika T.

#208 Post by erika »

Hello,

Can someone help me and maybe send me al hole list of enlisch SHOEMAKING words and/or little illustrations/pictures? EVERYTHING that is related to shoemaking (tools, preparations,all about leather, shoe parts, names of materials). The dictionaty doesn't give any or no good translations.
I also would like to find on the internet a website where I can find and download for free(a lot of)little illustrations/ pictures of shoemaking tools, shoe making manners like for example glued underwork, flexible, "canasta" (NL),good-year, Zwiegenaaid (NL), names of leather parts,names of leather sorts, names of all shoe parts, names of all kind of shoe material??????? My searching wasn't successful.

I want to make an international list of shoemaking words with illustrations
and want to translate dutch into enlish (and german and french as well). I hope someone can help me with a list or translations or refer me to a website.
Also I would like to find a website with (old) professional SHOEMAKING words/language how it was used in former days.
headelf

#209 Post by headelf »

Hello Erika,
Welcome.
Those are great looking shoes and boots you make.
Everyone should click on your profile to see them!
"The Dictionary of Leather-Working Tools, c1700-1950" by R.A. Salaman has a lot of tools and techniques listed. Written in English ISBN 1-879335-72-7. Search on Ebay in English. It is often offered there for sale. Might be able to get it through Amazon.com although I didn't look there before starting this post.

Hanna Kainulainen, another new member of HCC has had some luck finding shoemaking info on line through her library system. Go to the user registration/profiles section on this site to contact her.

Regards,

Georgene
headelf

#210 Post by headelf »

Erika clicking on user profiles won't get you to Hanna's address.

Click on the discussion topics for the Last Week, she posted under patternmaking on this date and you can click her name for the contact info:

By H. M. Kainulainen on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 07:02 am:
headelf

#211 Post by headelf »

Erika clicking on user profiles won't get you to Hanna's address.

Click on the discussion topics for the Last Week, she posted under patternmaking on this date and you can click her name for the contact info:

By H. M. Kainulainen on Sunday, January 13, 2008 - 07:02 am:
marcell

#212 Post by marcell »

Yes she posted a very useful link to EXACTLY what you need Erika!

ON the other hand google translation can autpmatically can translate English to Dutch.

(Ja ze gepost een zeer nuttige link naar PRECIES wat je nodig hebt Erika! OP de andere kant google vertaling kan autpmatically kunnen vertalen Engels naar het Nederlands.)

http://translate.google.com/translate_t?langpair=en|nl
btippit

#213 Post by btippit »

Erika,

Two great links I think I found on the Colloquy a few years ago are:

http://glossary.01shoes.com/ and http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/shoe/RESEARCH/GLOSSARY/bdefjl.htm

The second even has an International Language cross reference link at the top of the home page.

I hope this helps.

Bill “The Last Man Standingâ€
erika

#214 Post by erika »

Hello Marcell,

I have emailed Hanna. I hope she can help. Thanks for the tip for translation. I have filled in some words in google for translation from dutch into english. (For example schoenenliefhebber -NL, someone who loves shoes but not a fetishist- and the word: schalmen (making leather thinner with knife or machine) Unfortunately I am not satisfied with any translation site till now, google included. Much of the shoemaking words I fill in are not translated or very bad. I am satisfied when I have a professional shoemaking list/dixionairy by preference.

Again I have looked at your website and saw your video how you make the shoes. Its very nice and clear to see. Your shoes look luxureus.

Regards, Erika
kenkähahmo

#215 Post by kenkähahmo »

The Complete Footwear Dictionary by William Rossi is quite a good book, and available for USD 73 in Amazon. If you want to make an investment, that is.
marcell

#216 Post by marcell »

Thanks Erika!
john_ralston
Full Name: John Ralston

#217 Post by john_ralston »

Erika,

Here is the best I can do for you:

schalmen - "Skiving" is the English term for tapering the leather from full thickness down to a thinner edge. "Splitting" refers to thinning the entire piece down to the same thickness.

schoenenliefhebber - I don't think we have a single word. I would guess "Shoe Fancier" or "Shoe Admirer"
headelf

#218 Post by headelf »

On the continuing thread of footwear dictionaries:
The Dictionary of Leather Working Tools by Salanan
can be purchased consistently and at a lower price than ebay from our own Larry Waller at walrusshoe.com

I bought a great dictionary "Concise Shoemaking Dictionary" from Frank Jones that covers with copious pictures shoemaking materials and procedures. Extensive appendix includes email and web pages for footwear-related firms such as schools, trade organizations,machinery and component suppliers, bespoke makers, etc. Reach Frank in the UK at
email: frank.jones@noblefootwear.com
erika

#219 Post by erika »

It's great that there is so much help on this forum. I downloaded all the files of Hanna and unzipped two which look very good.

The referrings to books and a glossary and dictionaty site will help me further. The international list/schedule on Glossary of Footwear terminology is exactly what I mean. I only want it more extensive of all terms related to shoemaking plus with shown little picture.

Thanks to you all, Erika
kadwart
Full Name: susan collard

#220 Post by kadwart »

You might also want to try Shoe Trades Publishing at the following link as they appear to have a number of texts where terms are translated into a variety of languages:

shoetrades.com/dev/glossary.php

Hope it helps,
Sue
erika

#221 Post by erika »

That's a good website and also comprehensive.
I would love to buy more of the interessting books but owing to the costs I am not able to buy yet, maybe later.
relferink

#222 Post by relferink »

Erika,

The dictionary I used most is Concise Shoemaking dictionary. I also have Dr. Rossi's dictionary but in my opinion it's a little more dated (even the 2000 reprint) and geared less to the shoemaking trade. When you are looking for terminology and like to see in more of a context it may be your better option.

I like the idea of a dictionary with good translations and illustrations. You'll find some terms to be controversial. meaning different things to different people or multiple terms for the same thing. Never the less it would be great to have.
You'll be hard pressed to find images that do not have a copyright. The safest option would be to take your own pictures and / or drawings.

For the rest of the terminology:
Canasta: Can't think of it from the top of my head. Draw a cross section and someone here will help you out with the appropriate name.
Good-year: same, Good-Year welted when sewn on a rib attached to the insole.
Zwiegenaaid: Norwegian or alpine welted. Someone may be able to clarify if the terminology changes when sewing with or without a welt. I'm not clear on that myself. Image

If you ever have questions on how to call something just post a drawing and/or picture and you'll most likely receive more than one reply.

Hope that helps.

Rob
erika

#223 Post by erika »

Rob, I want to add a ms paint drawing of the Canasta construction here but I see no possibility in "Add a Message".

How can I do this?

Erika
artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme
Been Liked: 2 times

#224 Post by artzend »

Erica,

on the left hand side of this page under Documentation, is "Formatting", the instructions are under that. You will need to save in either gif or jpg format.

Tim
erika

#225 Post by erika »

6749.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.