Lasts

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: Lasts

#451 Post by dw »

If you have a last model on record with GlobalFootwear or Jones and Vining, you can ask them to digitally grade up to an 18 and turn you a last.

If you don't have a last model, you might be able to adopt one that they already have in their database.

In the absence of either of those alternatives, maybe you can make one using Koloff...?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
btippit

#452 Post by btippit »

Rick,

We can grade to a size 18 and have gone larger than that in the past. What type of shoe would you be making (style/hh/toe shape, etc)? Contact me directly if you want to discuss this.

Bill “The Last Man Standing” Tippit
www.globalfootwearsolutions.com
bill_harris
Full Name: William O. Harris

#453 Post by bill_harris »

Rick,

I have a 17-1/2 W in a J &V style 6933.

Bill
jnewburry
Full Name: jimmie newburry

#454 Post by jnewburry »

Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone had an extra pair of boot lasts around a size 9.5, and don't want a fortune for.
Jim
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#455 Post by jkrichard »

Jimmy,
Give Panhandle Leather Co. a call, 1800-537-3945, Aaron, Nathan, or Mr. Jim Blaine will help you out. IIRC their used lasts run about $20.00 USD (+shipping), and they are really good about getting shipments out their door the same day.

-Jeff
Member, HCC
jim_b

#456 Post by jim_b »

Any one know where to get a run of lasts and patterns for english riding boots?
btippit

#457 Post by btippit »

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT CONCERNING LASTS FROM GLOBAL FOOTWEAR SOLUTIONS

I have some important news for last customers of Global Footwear Solutions. I want to begin by saying that your ability to purchase lasts from GFS will only be affected negatively if you are involved in the athletic industry in any way. Earlier this month, I accepted a position at Nike as their Master Last Maker. My wife Juel and I will be moving to Portland, OR soon and I will begin working for Nike on February 15th. Due to the competitive conflicts involved, I will be pulling the only two athletic lasts I have from my list of available styles. I will also be pulling any hiking boot or walking shoe lasts. All three of these categories represent a very small percentage of the lasts styles we offer.

Juel will be taking over GFS, which will be scaled down to a business that offers single pairs of lasts on existing styles to custom boot and shoe makers. No other products and services will be offered except for the POSSIBILITY that existing styles can be combined to offer other variations (one toe placed on another backpart, heel height adjustments, etc.). We are in the process of converting OLGA to an actual online store where you will be able to purchase your lasts directly from the site using major credit cards or PayPal.

The turnaround time on lasts should actually improve once all of these changes take place. As most of you know, I have often taken much longer than the 3-5 weeks I strive for in delivering your lasts. This is because, as much as I have wanted to focus on the custom last segment of the business, the harsh reality is that it brings by FAR, the smallest return on investment of time and money. I was always forced to focus more on things that provide better bill paying income such as developing new styles for shoe companies, helping with the development of and selling the lightbeam® foot scanner, consulting, and wearing every hat in the workflow process, including order processing, CAD/CAM operator, international communications, customer service rep, shipper, OLGA data entry person, bookkeeper, janitor, and cat sitter.

Juel’s work ethic is second to none and since she will not be taking a job outside the home in Portland she will be able to devote the appropriate time to processing these last orders. In fact, Juel is a very competent CAD operator and I don’t expect it will be long before she is doing all of the grading herself. I fully expect you will find the service you get from GFS to be MUCH better than what I was able to provide while juggling all of those torches, chain saws, and cats. And I will still be around, just not as your point of contact on orders.

I appreciate the patience and loyalty so many of you have shown me over the years (especially those of you who go back to the days of The Last Word). Please continue that patience as we transition from Missouri to Oregon and as Juel becomes more accustomed to the business. She has been to The Roundup with me, scanned feet, and listened to me babble about lasts for ten years. Personally, I think you will not only NOT miss a beat, but you will probably be wishing we had been done this much sooner.

Thank you,

Bill Tippit, Sr.
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#458 Post by romango »

Bill,

Portland is one of my favorite cities anywhere in the world, although it's a bit rainy.

Great Argentine tango there Image

Welcome to the neighborhood!
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#459 Post by paul »

Bill,

I'm really happy for you and Juel. This has been a long process for you. I wish you lots of luck with this move.

As one who has experienced delays in getting last orders in the past, I know it's been a struggle for you to do all those hats. I'm happy that Juel will be taking that part over for you.

I guess we should be thankful to Nike, for being cooperative in allowing you to keep GFS for our benifit.
Good Luck to you guys, and stay in touch with the Colloquy.

All the Best,
Paul
john_woodward
Full Name: john woodward

#460 Post by john_woodward »

Bill, Congratulations on your new job.I appreciate all your work over the years.Nike is lucky to have you......... Sincerely, John
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#461 Post by dearbone »

Bill,

Congratulations, Please come and visit us little big people here once in a while now that you will be rubbing shoulders with gods of shoe productions,I am very pleased to hear that Juel will continue the GFS. All the best.

Regards
Nasser
bootmkr
Full Name: Lonnie Smith

#462 Post by bootmkr »

Bill
Good Luck in your new job...
I've done buisness with you when it was the Last Word and I will continue do so now.
Good Luck again..
Lonnie
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#463 Post by jkrichard »

Bill,
Congratulations, I hope this all works out with awesomeness and 'win!'
As far as catsitting is concerned--- I think it's a deep and underlying conspiracy somewhere within the shadowy world of Naugahyde that these felines converge in plotting their revenge against their 'masters.' My cat is a horrible apprentice, and does nothing much more than chase waxed ends.

-Jeff
Member, The HCC
djulan
Full Name: David Ulan

#464 Post by djulan »

Bill,
First, I congratulate you and wish to celebrate your new, well deserved position in Portland. Your singular appreciation for the relationship of the foot and last may be unique in today's world. Especially in mass shoemaking. And though I have never owned a Nike before, I'll be looking to purchase some made on your last designs soon.
You've paid your dues, buddy, with great training, cultivating a personal and corporate following of your expertise, and delivering a great service, in spite of a few days late here or there. But your work with us custom makers has given you a unique view, and I expect has already helped improve the mass produced footwear-and now the best to come..........
You have generously shared time, feedback, and advice with me on many occasions (I'm not one of your most profitable clients) and I am, and will always be appreciative of that. thanks, and good luck.

Cheers!
btippit

#465 Post by btippit »

Many thanks to all those who posted or sent privately their congrats and good wishes. It's been a whirlwind of activity and I simply haven't had time to respond individually. My itinerary the past several weeks has included teaching new CAD and fit techniques to the model room in Leon for 2 weeks, getting food poisoning in Leon, being examined by a doctor who didn't speak any English at the hotel in Leon (bellman interpreted), having a flight home canceled, missing a standby flight by one seat, and having a third flight delayed a few hours. That was followed by one day home and then off to Portland with Juel on a house hunting trip (we fly back to MO tomorrow). Once things settle down I'll be able to kick start the last machine and start responding to everyone more appropriately. We both DO appreciate all of the support however and I just wanted to be sure to acknowledge that.

Bill Tippit, Sr.
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#466 Post by danfreeman »

Bill
Welcome back, many have wondered if you were still with us, it's been so long. We look forward to more lasts from you.
last_maker

#467 Post by last_maker »

hey all, I posted in the wrong place on this forum under machinery for sale oops!!, so i will post here,

I am looking for Jones and vining catalogue does anyone know where I can get one. I tried an internet search for jones and vining, and I found thier site but not a catalogue to download. i tried calling them. No one answered. I tried emailing them no one got back to me. Can any one send me a link as to where I can download a catalogue or send away for one snail mail. If you have one on hand and do not want it anymore please contact me. designstudios@hotmail.com

I am also, looking for ANY last company catalogues from differnt companies Including TLW Catlogue.

Thanks a bunch for any help.
Your links, phone numbers and resources are greatly appreciated. thanks much

-marlietta
luckyduck

#468 Post by luckyduck »

Marlietta,

Here is the contact people tell me is the right person.

JONES & VINING AR - Model & Production
1 Compu Last Drive
Walnut Ridge, AR 72476
Tel: 870-886-6621
Fax: 870-886-1847

This is with the disclaimer that I have never gotten a response, but on the boot forum people have claimed they will talk to you.

Paul
dan_hickman
Full Name: Daniel Hickman

#469 Post by dan_hickman »

I just received a catalog from J&V. They don't give them away. I had talked to them a few times about getting a last. Nice people to talk to to. Very informative. If you want to order lasts, talk to Allen 1-870-886-6621 ext.18.
last_maker

#470 Post by last_maker »

Hey all,

Thank you soo much for your welcoming replies. I am new to this forum and feel like I have found a home. Every one has been so helpful and informative.

Tia, thanks so much for Allen's phone number at jones and vining. I spoke with him and although they do not give the catalogues away for free I went ahead and ordered one.

For anyone else who wants to know the proceedure is as follows:send a check for US $20.00 for the catalogue (shipping expense is included), They will in turn send a copy to you. You can send the check to Jones & Vining, Inc. P.O. Box 779, (or 1500 NE Front Street) Walnut Ridge, AR 72476-0779.

They do not have a PDF of it nor do they accept credit cards. So the best thing to do is send them a check an a letter requesting their catalogue.
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#471 Post by romango »

Marlietta,

Did you find out if they will sell you individual lasts and what they cost?

- Rick
last_maker

#472 Post by last_maker »

Hey I have another question,rather odd really hopefully someone can answer it, does anyone own a gilman last lathe?

I am designing a modern miniture form of this lathe and would like the measurements of the lathe area. No worries, don't come back at me with your doubts, I have experience in machine design & making and 20 years of experience in carpentry. So this sort of thing IS up my alley. Image

So my question is,On the gilman, there is a frame, that the model last sets in and then the block of wood on the other side is clamped to. I need the total distance between one side of the frame to the other horizonally, and the measurements of the oscilating frame vertically. I would also appreciate measurements of the frame which holds the model and it's gears, and the frame area that holds the last being turned.

If I could figure out how to up load a pic of the area I am speaking of, I would post it along with my question, but because I am new, I am not sure how to go about that. Thus, I have to rely on the discription above.

When finished, I belive this sort of machine would be very helpful to us bespoke community. Imgine beiing able to duplicate your own lasts?

Your help and imput is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Marlietta.
You may contact me at designstudios@hotmail.com
last_maker

#473 Post by last_maker »

Rick, I didn't get that far. right now, I want to see what they have. Frank tells me they have an inventory of over 5,000 last styles. That is dizzing amount of inventory. Allen informs me that they have a collection of over 100 years of last examples and models.

You may call allen at 870-886-6621 ex, 18. Allen admits that he is never at his desk, but will return all calls. He states that his best way to contact him is to email him at :Jasmith@jvlast.com
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#474 Post by dearbone »

Marlietta,

A good description of the Gilman lathes can be found in Golding vol, 1 chapter IX page-246
The book can be downloaded from the HCC home page.

Nasser
last_maker

#475 Post by last_maker »

Rick, I do belive that J&V sell lasts one at a time, however, I was on the road when speaking to allen, thus, i neglected to ask. When reading the forum under lasts, it does imply that J&V does sell individual lasts. Many bespoke individual have been very pleased with J&V service. you order one day and 10 days later your last is sent to you.

Nesser:

I have the book golding Vol.I in hard copy. I saw a discription but if there were actual dementions I didn't see it. I also have the patent discription. However, in the two patents one the orginal the other an updated form, they were so intriged with the on and off switch that there were no measurements or dicription of the ocelation mechanizm other than there is one. Additionally, because it was a modified gun stock lath, they didn't find rediscribing it's inner working necessary. To them it was nomenclature. To us 150 years later it is: What?

In the patent , they do not show where the knifes are or how the pentegraph feature works. You'd think they were proud of such and want to discribe it. But they didn't. I do understand how this pentegraph feature was troublesome but I still wanted to understand what they did to then improve upon it or leave it out in my design.

For you cad operators who responded, thank you. I know you are an expert model makers and Cad designers, and belive in it and so do I. I think many of us wish we could aford such a thing but think of it this way, Who can aford a 150,000 dollar software plus a CNC lathe?

What if someone had a duplicater that is 1% percent of that cost? I think it would make our bespoke jobs easier, don't you think?