Lasts

Got any great sources for leather? Tools? Machinery? Looking for sources?
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

Re: Lasts

#551 Post by romango »

Also, you can use Apoxie, which is a 2 part epoxy clay. I use this for radical toe changes.
ccs
Full Name: Chris Stratton

#552 Post by ccs »

I wonder if the polycaprolactone plastic I'm using for lasts would stick to to the existing plastic of your last. It's a bit pricey for the whole last, but what's nice about it is you just get it hot (hot water or heat gun) and then bulldoze it around to whatever shape is of interest. Heat it back up if you don't like the result.

(Message edited by ccs on January 25, 2011)
bluecarpenter
Full Name: Mark Tucker

#553 Post by bluecarpenter »

rick,
what type of apoxie are you using? And chris can you get me more info on the poly your using. thanks mark
ccs

#554 Post by ccs »

Apoxie sounds like it might be a filled epoxy?

Polycaprolactone is sold under many names. Cheapest in large quantity (8 lbs - not quite enough for two pairs of complete lasts, but easily 3 individuals plus some extra) is instamorph, in smaller quantities for additions friendly plastic, shapelock, polymorph plastic, etc. It does not glue well beyond its own tendency to adhere when hot though - would probably be most secure as an addition with some mechanical capture. Or you could drive a few wood screws part way in and mold it around the heads.

(Message edited by ccs on January 25, 2011)
romango

#555 Post by romango »

Apoxie Sculpt. I use it quite often and it works well on wood or plastic lasts. The only limitation is that it doesn't nail well. This is usually not a problem, I just have to set the nails slightly farther back when lasting.
romango

#556 Post by romango »

Apoxie is a brand of what is pretty commonly available 2 part epoxy clay. It is non-toxic (compared to Bondo anyway).
ccs

#557 Post by ccs »

The polycaprolactone does nail, but probably won't stick onto a different base material as securely as the epoxy without some mechanical aid - without which nailing into it may not be advised.
kevindeleon
Full Name: Kevin deLeon

#558 Post by kevindeleon »

Anyone know if Allen is still the person to contact at JV? I'm just getting started in my adventure into custom shoe making, and trying to determine where to order my first pair of lasts.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#559 Post by dw »

Allen is a good one to talk to but the go-to guy is Spencer Bruce...and you'll never talk to a more gentlemanly individual.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
kevindeleon

#560 Post by kevindeleon »

DFW,

Thanks! Will look into getting in touch with Spencer.
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#561 Post by athan_chilton »

DW has beat me to it - so I'll just second what he's said. I just got two pr of lasts from J&V and dealt mostly with Spencer Bruce, indeed a most gentlemanly chap with a delicious semi-Southern way of speaking...what a change from rude, hasty sales people!!
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#562 Post by jesselee »

I have 3 pairs of plastic lasts I don't need.

10 1/2D- marked M824 on side. Barely used.
9C- marked Vulcan WR Oct 1980 and L-22
8B- marked the same. I can send pics to anyone who is interested.

Cheers,

JesseLee
kevindeleon

#563 Post by kevindeleon »

JesseLee,

Sent you an email.
kevindeleon

#564 Post by kevindeleon »

Anyone have any experience with these guys?
Shoe Last Shop on eBay stores

Obviously they aren't custom, but might be good for people starting out? Still seems like JV might be the way to go considering you can send in measurements.
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter
Been Liked: 1 time

#565 Post by kemosabi »

I've never heard of them. Looks like they're asking way too much for these lasts, since used production lasts can be had for $20.

If you're looking for a few pairs of lasts (vs. a whole run); it's hard to beat Panhandle Leather.

Cheers,
-Nat
kevindeleon

#566 Post by kevindeleon »

Nat,

Thanks so much. I looked on their site and didn't see anything in regards to lasts. Also, at this point I am mostly interested in shoe making, and it looks like they mostly deal in boot supplies (not to say there isn't any crossover). Do they shoe lasts as well?
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter
Been Liked: 1 time

#567 Post by kemosabi »

They have many things not listed on the website and I've found it works best to give them a call. Most of the lasts I've bought from them are shoe lasts. They prefer to call them "Roper Lasts", but they're actually shoe lasts (with curved heel vs. straight).
If you want to be really clear, you can ask for "5/8 heel, 5/8 toe spring". They'll know what this means.

-Nat
kevindeleon

#568 Post by kevindeleon »

Nat,

Thanks again for the heads up. You have been very helpful!
dpetrzelka
Full Name: Daniel Petrzelka

#569 Post by dpetrzelka »

Do any of you have experience with BootLast.com's model GC-400 developed by Greg Carmack.

I've read that their boot lasts are based on the work of the Krentler Brothers who seems be be quite highly regarded.

I've also noted that they've worked to create lasts with a more slender volume to support building up to fit (rather than grinding away) - as a totally new shoe maker I do not have experience with this yet, but find the approach of building upon the lines of the last makes the most intuitive sense.

I'm looking to make both low cut Chukka style boot, as well as dress style oxfords (my hope is to find a last that can be built upon for both if possible - and starting with the longer slender tow fits the style I have in mind)

Can anyone speak to hands on experience with the GC-400 lasts?

Images of shoes created on those lasts that you can share?
kevindeleon

#570 Post by kevindeleon »

Daniel,

I was wondering if you heard anything regarding the GC-400 as I have also been interested in that last. It looks like a pretty versatile/modern shape. Would love to see some shoes made on it.
jim_b

#571 Post by jim_b »

I use a full run of the GC-200 and am well pleased. I think the 400's major difference is an 1/8" lower heel and slightly less volume. I also have two runs of the 975 which I know aren't what you are seeking but am also happy with results.
jim_b

#572 Post by jim_b »

PS
I think you will easily be able to do both shoe and chukka on them...
dpetrzelka
Full Name: Daniel Petrzelka

#573 Post by dpetrzelka »

Jim - thank you for the feedback. Are there any photos on your website of boots you've made on the GC-200? ( Some beautiful work on your site, http://leatherfabrication.com/ )

Kevin, I'll keep you posted if I hear off-line from anyone specifically about the GC-400.
jim_b

#574 Post by jim_b »

All the roper style boots on my site are on the GC-200 including the tall orange and brown pair. Thank you.
adam_j
Full Name: Adam Jimenez

#575 Post by adam_j »

message deleted...Reason:
The Crispin Colloquy is sponsored by The Honourable Cordwainers' Company--a 501, C-3, non-profit, tax-exempt, educational Trade Guild. As such, posts that solicit sales that may be construed as being for personal profit may not quote prices. The item may be described, its provenance detailed, and a contact address included. But, at risk of jeopardizing the tax-exempt status of the Guild, no prices may be quoted.

(Message edited by admin on March 02, 2012)