In Memory...

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
Tex Robin

In Memory...

#1 Post by Tex Robin »

All,

Jack Reed called me and informed me of the passing of Bob Dellis. He was an artist that tooled tops for bootmakers. There are several examples of his work in "Art of the Boot". He will be missed.....TR
bct

Re: In Memory...

#2 Post by bct »

Today is 15 September 2003
POW MIA DAY
REMEMBER

http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/powday/pow_rec_day_00.htm
bct

#3 Post by bct »

Correction, POW/MIA Day is 19 Sep 03 this year.

National POW/MIA Recognition Day
Friday, September 19, 2003
(Observed each year on the third Friday of September)

This Defense POW/MIA web site contains guidance and background information for 2003 National POW/MIA Recognition Day. Information is posted here to assist local military and civilian event planners in recognizing those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while serving our country.

http://www.dtic.mil/dpmo/powday/index.htm
Tex Robin

#4 Post by Tex Robin »

All,

Very sad news to report. My good friend James Leddy passed away last night. James was an Icon to bootmaking and will be missed by many in the bootmaking trade. They don't come in his caliber very often and his boots will never be filled. Alan Bell informed me this morning. The memorial services will be graveside at 2:00 PM Friday at Elmwood Cemetary in Abilene, Texas. For further information call me at 325-625-5556.....TR
Tex Robin

#5 Post by Tex Robin »

James Leddy . Bootmaker 1937-2003

Click here: Abilene Reporter News: Obituaries
Tex Robin

#6 Post by Tex Robin »

Abilene's Own Bootmaker: James Leddy 1937-2003
By Ken Ellsworth / Reporter-News Staff Writer
October 2, 2003

James Leddy, one of two legendary Abilene bootmakers, died Tuesday following a sudden illness.

He was 66.

The other bootmaking legend is Alan Bell, 56, who some might consider Leddy’s competitor, but was not. Bell is named as Leddy’s "best friend and cohort" in the same obituary paragraph that names Leddy’s family survivors.

"He was just like my older brother," Bell said. "I don’t have a brother that I’m any closer to. I’ve always thought of his family as my family, and I’m glad he felt the same. He was the kindest and friendliest, most decent man I knew. He was honest. He had a hug for everybody.

"We weren’t competitors. We were more like allies. I’m going to miss him. Hell, I already do," Bell said. "He’s irreplaceable."
Leddy was born Aug. 19, 1937, into a bootmaking family in San Angelo and made his first pair of boots without help when he was 12 years old.

"I’m sure they were good ones, too," Bell said.

The friends were listed among the state’s 25 best bootmakers by Texas Monthly last year. Other Leddy family members are bootmakers in San Angelo and Fort Worth. James Leddy learned the craft from his father. His customers included stars in the entertainment business as well as ordinary farmers and ranchers, all of whom were willing to put up with a six-month waiting list to wear his custom boots.

"He enjoyed making boots for celebrities, but his passion and pride and joy was making boots for farmers and ranchers whose work required good boots," said Brent Leddy, 37, Leddy’s son. "Making boots was all he wanted to do. He didn’t fish or hunt or travel. He just made boots seven days a week. When he went home he often went out to the shop there and worked on belts."

Fancy, well-made boots fashioned from exotic leathers of snake, ostrich and other skins attracted the stars who became his customers. They included Mel Tillis, George Jones, Larry Gatlin, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buck Owens and Jane Seymour.

Leddy first went into business for himself in Abilene more than 40 years ago. The business, most recently named James Leddy Boots, at 1602 N. Treadaway Blvd., will continue under the direction of Paula Leddy, James Leddy’s widow, Brent Leddy said.

"He was always very caring," said Debbie Jones, an employee and also the director of Hardin-Simmons University’s Six White Horses program. "He would give you the shirt off his back. He was a sweetheart of a man."

Leddy was a regular at Perini’s Ranch Steakhouse in Buffalo Gap. Tom Perini, the restaurant’s owner, was Leddy’s friend and a regular customer.

"I’m got ‘em (Leddy’s boots) on my feet right now," Perini said. "I’ve got six more pairs in my closet. I’ll sure miss him. He’ll be sorely missed by everyone."

Perini said Leddy was always joking with him and trying to get him to order some boots that were less conservative than Perini’s usual request.

"He tried to get me to buy some hot pink boots," Perini said. "I told James, ‘I’m not tough enough to wear those boots.’"

Brent Leddy said his father has left behind a legacy of kindness and craftsmanship.

"He was very caring. His example is something I’ll always aim for," he said. "That was the kind of man he was. There will never be another like him."

Leddy is survived by his wife, Paula, three grown children, and several grandchildren. Family visitation is 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. today at Elliott-Hamil Funeral Home at 542 Hickory St. Graveside services are 2 p.m. Friday at Elmwood Memorial Park at 5750 South U.S. Highway 277.

You can access photographs and all by going to :

http://www.reporternews.com/abil/nw_obituaries/article,http://www.reporternews.com/abil/nw_obituaries/article
bct

#7 Post by bct »

I was honored when the Leddy Family, ask me to carry a James Leddy boot to the Round up and enter it in the Contest. James Leddy had planed on attending the show with his good friend Alan Bell. Alan said it's all James talked about for the last 6 months. I would like to say Thank You to Eddie and Kathy Kimmel for remembering the Leddy Family with a Memorial plaque from the Round up. And it was an honor for me to present it to Leddy Family on their behalf.

Today I called Alan Bell and he ask that I stop by his shop. Alan shared some fond memories of James Leddy. On Saturday 4 Oct 03 Alan Bell wrote the following letter about James Leddy. With everyone already gone to the Round up Alan did not know where to turn. Alan had hoped to make contact with someone at the Round up and left a message at the Holiday Inn. Alan intention was to fax a copy of the letter and get it to Eddie Kimmel and hoped that Eddie would read it aloud at the banquet. Enclosed is a copy of the letter that Alan Bell wrote.
Brian C. Thomas

October 4, 2003

Dear Friends,

By now you all are aware of the passing of our friend James Leddy -
a Giant in our bootmaking family.

For some reason James was looking forward to this year's Round Up
more than any other. He has been talking about and planning the trip
to Wichita for the last six months. He almost made it. He was very anxious to see all of his old friend and make new ones.

I hope and think I can speak for James when I say to you. - Try
not to let your sadness put a damper on this year's event. I know
he would tell everyone to have a good time and enjoy the Round Up.

James will be greatly missed by those of us who knew him, and
I hope, admired by those of you who didn't!

Hoping for a Successful Round Up,
Your Friend,

////SIGNED////
Alan R. Bell
Bootmaker
rosynay

#8 Post by rosynay »

Walter Joseph Logan Jr

Walter Joseph Logan Jr, 75, of Katy passed away Thursday, October 30, 2003
in a local hospital. He retired from Employers Insurance Co after 37 years of service.

He is survived by his wife, Rosemary Logan; daughters, Lou Jan Nelson and
husband Rick, and Tina S. Logan; grandaughter Randall Nelson; and numerous other beloved friends and relatives. Preceded in death by son, Walter Joseph Logan, 111.

Funeral services will be held at 11:00
AM Tuesday at the Schmidt Funeral Home
Chapel in Katy with the Rev Carl Romer
officiating. Visitation will be held
two hours prior to the service. Interment will be held at Fort Sam Houston National Military Cemetary in
San Antonio, Tex on Wensday at 1:30 PM.
jonathon

#9 Post by jonathon »

Today, Tuesday 4th, November 2003, saw the the passing of Australian bush clothing founder, Reginald Murray (R.M.)Williams,at the age of 95.
A fantastic innings.

Regards.
Jon.
rosynay

#10 Post by rosynay »

I want to thank all of you who have sent me messages of condolences, privately and public, in my bereavment. Your kindness and thoughtfulness is greatly appreciated. Each will receive a reply as time permits.

RL
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#11 Post by sorrell »

I just found out this morning that Tyler Beard's wife, Teresa, has died. I'm sure he would appreciate our thoughts and prayers.

Lisa
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#12 Post by dw »

It is my sad duty to report that Mike Ives passed away on Tuesday the 2nd of October 2006.

I last saw him about ten years ago...he had had a battle with prostate cancer and, from everything I was to learn, had beaten it.

He was a good bootmaker and a generous person. He didn't teach many people but he taught me. And somehow he passed on to me a love of the Trade and of the form that has informed my career for the last 35 years.

Mike had two sons whom he taught to make boots. Like all fathers I am sure that he wanted to pass the torch onto them. But he let me light my own from his flame.

I hope that I have, or ultimately can, can do justice to the faith and dedication that he entrusted to me.

I will miss him.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
tomo

#13 Post by tomo »

DW,
I'm sorry to hear your friend and mentor has passed away, but I'm certain that he'd be proud of your dedication to the craft and your generosity of spirit in sharing with us your techniques and knowledge. It makes his efforts all the more worthwhile.
More power to y'awl
T.
paul_k

#14 Post by paul_k »

DW,

Words, at this time, are always hard to express the feelings we have. But I too want to express my sorrow at your loss. When I was there with you last week, we spoke of the characters in our lives . I know Mike was such to you. And I have a sence of your loss, and the loss his passing is, to all of us in the our trade. He has left you, and no doubt many others, with much to remember him by.

My best wishes and supportive thoughts to you and all who share in this time of sorrow.

Sincerly,

Paul
bultsad

#15 Post by bultsad »

It is with a heavy heart that I report the passing of Monte Birdsall on Saturday evening. He went at home surrounded by his family after a short battle with cancer. He was a true gentleman.
|link url{http://www.legacy.com/rapidcity/Obituaries.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=86727771}
dw
Seanchaidh

#16 Post by dw »

Jim,

I was sorry to hear that. He was your father-in-law, am I correct? I don't know that I ever met him...if I did it was just the once--at Sheridan or some such.

Our condolences to your wife and her family.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
bultsad

#17 Post by bultsad »

Yes,
Monte was my father-in -law. You certainly could have met him at Sheridan several years back. He trained myself and my brother-in-law Jim Birdsall.
Thank you for your condolences. They are appreciated.

Jim
tomo

#18 Post by tomo »

Al and Miriam,
I'm sorry for your loss.
Kia Kaha.
Tomo.
relferink

#19 Post by relferink »

Miriam and Al,

Our condolences for your loss. You will be in our prayers.
May you find peace and comfort in his memory and the good that comes from the lives he touched.

Sonja & Rob
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#20 Post by das »

Sadly I have this obituary to post:

=====Now We Are Three=====

Andrew Caire (far right), Journeyman shoe and bootmaker at the Colonial Williamsburg shoe shop passed away on the night of 9/1/07 after a 5 month struggle with cancer. Andy was a larger-than-life character, in the best sense of the word "character", and not only will he be sorely missed by his colleagues, visitors to the shop, Wally his golden retriever and constant companion, but also by every dog in the city of Williamsburg, for whom he ever kept a pocket filled of Milk Bones to hand out.

Andy had completed his 6 year apprenticeship in March of February '07, and was looking forward to rewarding himself with a long rendezvous-style primitive camping trip up in the Rockies. A great cook, a great humorist, and a dear, dear friend....God bless you "Uncle Andy".
========================
5406.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh

#21 Post by dw »

Al,

I am sorry to hear this and offer my condolences
to you, the others, Wally and CWF.

There ain't none too many of us and it is always sad when someone we know and admire passes away.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
relferink

#22 Post by relferink »

Al,

Very sorry to hear the sad news. My condolences to the Williamsburg makers. I'm sure he'll be sourly missed.

Rob
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#23 Post by paul »

Al,
I too am sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like Andy was an important part of your community, and ours by extension.
Our relationships with people are a good part of why we're here, I believe. And to lose one so dear, and so fast, hurts big time.
My condolences.
Paul
shoestring

#24 Post by shoestring »

Al,

It is always sadden to here of a lost of life but when you are on the same journey as that missing spoke in the wheel you feel it.My prayers go out to the Williamsburg Community,his Family and the animals he took care of.

Ed
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#25 Post by walrus »

Andy was the Best . I am so sorry to hear about his passing.We will keep his family and you all in our prayers .He will be missed at the meeting. My heart goes out to you all.
Larry Waller