Announcements

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
shane
Full Name: shane deeter
Been Liked: 2 times

Re: Announcements

#26 Post by shane »

I'd wish everyone a happy turkey day, but I am smoking a prime rib for dinner. So happy smoked beef day. I am thankful for God, my family, my friends, my freedom, my country, and so much more. God bless us all.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#27 Post by dw »

Several announcements of particular interest to all registered users of The Crispin Colloquy...

The Crispin Colloquy is a "moderated" forum. It has been a moderated forum since its beginnings roughly five years ago. One of the major "top level" topics is a set of Posting Guidelines entitled "All Users Read this!" These guidelines have been in place, with virtually the same content and format, for at least the last four years. Nevertheless, in an effort to make these guidelines more accessible, I am changing the title of the topic to "Posting Guidelines--All users Read This." I urge every member and every user of The Crispin Colloquy to read, or re-read, the Posting Guidelines and familiarize themselves with the rules and procedures for using this forum. Virtually all uncertainty, and most misunderstandings, can be resolved or avoided with a simple reading of the Posting Guidelines.

Additionally, on, or about the first of January 2004, the top level topic, "Rants, Rationales and Suppositions," will become a private posting area. "Rants..." will no longer be accessible to the general public and may require a separate registration in order to read or post there. "Rants..." will retain its fundamental character as an area where off-topic issues may be discussed. This includes politics, religion, movies, the merits of good whiskey, etc....and any issue not directly related to boot and shoemaking. Some subtopics (within "Rants..." ) may be archived and/or deleted.

Within "Rants...", the subtopic, "The Conundrum of the Workshops," will be designated as the "official" suggestion box. Bear in mind that the preferred method of communicating with the administration of the Crispin Colloquy is, and always has been, private email. That said, this topic is envisioned to be a place where members can make, and discuss, suggestions for new subtopics; take up grievances with the management staff; or discuss chronic problems with forum structure. All, with absolutely no guarantees that anything will be automatically done about it. But you will be heard, perhaps replied to, and the Open Forum will hopefully be kept open for the trade-related discussions for which it was created.

Finally, this is the last "system" post that I will make in two places. There is a top level topic entitled "System Announcements." Announcements such as these will, in the future, be restricted to this topic. Registered users are strongly advised to enable email notification of System Announcements...again, to avoid uncertainty or misunderstanding.

Beyond that, the administration and moderators of The Crispin Colloquy would like to thank each and every member of the Forum for their invaluable contributions during the past year and to wish each and every one a Happy Holiday...a Merry Christmas...and a safe and prosperous New Year.

Yr. Hmb. Svt.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#28 Post by das »

Miriam and I recently hosted Denis Houel and his charming wife Lorraine here in Williamsburg. Denis is from Normandy, France, and the founder of the ACC, the Amicale [friendly society]of leather-workers and shoemakers.

We had a great time, and got some good photos, which I'll try to post this weekend. He even showed me a few tweaks to try on my Landis L. But in the mean time, here's an interesting link Denis just sent:

http://fr.groups.yahoo.com/group/formationdesmetiersducuir/
crispinian

#29 Post by crispinian »

The theme of the handcrafts' section of the Lowell (Massachusetts) Folk Festival this year is Footprints: The Art and Craft of Making Shoes. If you're into traditional music in any of its various forms you're probably familiar with this annual event, which is the largest free folk festival in the US. Among the eight artisans who are lined up to demonstrate their craft are myself and Peter Oakley. Said demos will be on Saturday, July 24th and Sunday, July 25th. You can follow this link to a really goofy-looking photo of me along with info on all the craftspeople and the rest of the festival:

Lowell Folk Festival Shoemakers

Rusty Moore
Cape Cod, USA
relferink

#30 Post by relferink »

Rusty,

Thanks for the heads up on the Lowell festival. Had not heard about it but I'm very interested in coming by. From the web site I figured that the crafts area is along the merrimack canal, not to familiar with the area, where is that in relation to Hanover Leather? Anywhere close?
Looking forward to meeting you there.

Rob
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#31 Post by das »

An interesting site that links the HCC. Looks like plenty of sources for stuff:

http://www.theleatherconnection.com/index.htm
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#32 Post by walrus »

Al thanks for the link.
I have spent the last few hours going through the site.Way cool.
Too many sites too little time. LOL .Wonderful reading .
Larry Waller
Walrus Shoe & Leather co.
shoestring

#33 Post by shoestring »

Merry Christmas to All,& Wishing each one a good New Year..............& thanks for all the help.

Ed
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#34 Post by admin »

Global Footwear Solutions will be announcing on their website soon that, beginning today and running until the end of the year, they will donate 10% of the gross (not net) sales of all custom lasts to The American Red Cross relief fund for the victims of Hurricane Katrina and they are encouraging their customers to match or exceed this donation. More information including a link to the donation page of the Red Cross site will be posted on www.globalfootwearsolutions.com later this weekend.

Emmett
Lisa Cresson

#35 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Looking for Paul in MA who sent me the old Singer manuals:

Please note that II do not have an emal address for you and the one you use to reach me, Suzanne Martin's email address is no longer working

You did send me an email saying you were making copies, but I can return them to you if you please send me your address by email so I can return your paperwork.
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#36 Post by lancepryor »

Lisa:

Paul only gets on-line infrequently. I'll e-mail you his shop phone #, in case you just want to phone him.

Lance
dw
Seanchaidh

#37 Post by dw »

All,

I don't have much truck with all this "politically correct" nonsense...so I'm just going to brazenly wish all of you...

a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.

Thank you for making the Crispin Colloquy a comfortable and helpful source of learning and growing.

"God bless us...every one."

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
tomo

#38 Post by tomo »

A message from the future - well GMT+12 actually...

I hope you all have a FANTASTIC Christmas and New Year.

Thanks for all your collective wit, wisdom, waxing and welting; I've learnt a lot, thought about a lot more, and thought more about my lot.

You're a great bunch of unselfish, unstinting and unusual people to be associated with, and I'm grateful for that.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all

More Power to y'awl
T.
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#39 Post by sorrell »

Competition Contact: Ben Hilton
918-647-2085, driftwoodcustomboots@yahoo.com

Silver Dollar City Press Contact:
417-338-8207

New ‘Best of American Bootmakers Competition’
Set for Silver Dollar City’s Festival of American Music & Crafts
With a Salute to the Great American Cowboy

Competition Set for September 14 – October 28 in Branson, Mo.

(Branson, Mo. 2/06) Custom bootmakers from around the country will compete for cash prizes and the opportunity to display their work at the First Annual Best of American Bootmakers Competition hosted by the popular 1880s-style theme park Silver Dollar City in Branson, Mo. this fall. Over $5,000 in cash prizes will be awarded during the competition set for September 14 – October 28.

Categories are Work Boots, Office Boots, Stage Boots, Best Shop Effort, Novice Class, and Best of Show. The first 12 entries in each of the five categories will be accepted for the competition. Applications and entry fees must be received by April 1. Boots will be displayed during Silver Dollar City’s Festival of American Music & Crafts featuring a Salute to the Great American Cowboy. First, second and third place winners will be determined by ballots cast by park guests throughout the festival, which is expected to draw more than 350,000 guests.

Known as the “Home of American Craftsmanship” for its resident colony of more than 100 demonstrating craftsmen, Silver Dollar City brings in 125 visiting craftsmen during the Festival of American Music & Crafts featuring a Salute to the Great American Cowboy. Craftsmen include Western artists such as boot makers, silversmiths, leather crafters, spur makers, furniture makers, hat makers and knife makers. Gunsmoke's Buck Taylor brings his watercolor art and also hosts celebrities from America's favorite Westerns, including Clint Walker, James Drury and Ben Cooper. Western themed entertainment includes performances by Riders In The Sky, Roy Rogers Jr., and a special concert by country star Ricky Van Shelton on Sept. 16. Trick riders, ropers and rodeo stars perform throughout the festival and hundreds of musicians play country, gospel and bluegrass.

For details on the Best of American Bootmakers Competition, contact Ben Hilton, driftwoodcustomboots@yahoo.com or 918-647-2085.

Silver Dollar City opens for the regular season with World-Fest, presenting performers from around the world, beginning April 6. For schedules, festival and ticket information, call 1-800-831-4FUN or visit the website at www.silverdollarcity.com.
sorrell

#40 Post by sorrell »

To all,
As you can see by the above posting, Silver Dollar City in Branson, Missouri will be hosting a national bootmaking contest this fall. They will also be setting up a bootshop area and it will be staffed by pairs of demonstrating bootmakers during this event.

I'm so excited about this opportunity to present our craft to thousands of new people. We'll have the opportunity to demonstrate our craft and also get people involved by voting in the contest. That's the greatest thing about a contest like this--it invites people to participate. They don't just walk by and think "pretty." They stop, look at each boot and form an opinion. I had never even heard of a cowboy bootmaker before I got a job with one. This event will produce people who will become better educated than I was!

Applications for the contest are being mailed today and tomorrow. If you're interested and don't receive one after a few days, please contact me or Ben.

Lisa
guy_shannon

#41 Post by guy_shannon »

Hi Lisa.

I was wondering if the contest is open to all boot makers or just American boot makers. I'm from Calgary Canada and I am interested in the competition.

Guy Shannon
Ben Nobody

#42 Post by Ben Nobody »

The contest is open to any one who would like to participate as you do not need to be present to win. We would need you to contact us with mailing info to send you rules of categories and an application. If any one has questions you may call or E-Mail Lisa Sorrell, Greg Carmack or myself. We are mailing out info to all that are interested.thanks to everyone for their direct or indirect assistance with this oppurtunity that will benefit all in this trade.
Ben
jake
Full Name: Jake

#43 Post by jake »

Welcome Ben!

Hope the show is a big success. Branson ain't that far from me. Maybe I'll make it up that way.

Tell Bo Jake Dobbins said "hey".
Ben Nobody

#44 Post by Ben Nobody »

Hey Jake, Bo Has Spoke of you a number of times.He is currently at the Big leather and machinery show in Leone, Mexico. He calls me two or three times a day to keep me updated on his latest discoveries I will tell him you said Hey
Ben
dw
Seanchaidh

#45 Post by dw »

Lisa, Ben,

I'll second Jake...I too hope the show is a big success. These kind of events always promote the Trade and help everyone...kind of a "trickle-down effect."

One small quibble...from a purely personal point of view--now that I've seen a copy of the rules, I don't think there's a proper category for someone like myself. No big whoop I suppose, but I had thought of entering a pair of Navy French calf full wellington boots with white stars and crescent inlay. Some may have seen them in the Gallery.

They won't fit in the work category...too fancy and the leather is definately not intended for work.

In the office category they don't have any exotics on the foot(required) and while inlaid, there's only two lines of stitching (six is the minimum).

And in the stage category...they're too plain. My intention was a quiet elegance and the Navy Frog (French) Calf is very dark and the ornamentation spare.

Maybe a "catch-all" dress category next year?

Oh well, if Lisa's work is any indication of the what to expect, it ought to be a great show.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
sorrell

#46 Post by sorrell »

DW,
I see your point and the thought had actually occurred to me that there were no real categories for a boot like what you've described. On the other hand, this is the first year for this contest. I really hope that the contest not only continues but grows. I'd love to have so much interest that we need new categories. I'd like to see more inquiries like the one above from Guy Shannon as well. I wouldn't mind taking the "American" out of the title...

Lisa
btippit

#47 Post by btippit »

This is great news!!! If I can pull myself away from my new (and first) grandchild, who will just be 2 weeks old when the contest starts, I think I'll just drive to the Roundup this year and stop by Branson for a few days on the way back. In addition to Jake, JP, and Bo, there are a number of other bootmakers in the area. Maybe if I barter some lasts with them I can sleep on their porches at night. If not, there's always my mentor and friend, Wilson and he's got a big barn and two shaggy dogs to keep me warm.

Seriously, this is a very unexpected treat and will be great exposure for the craft. Who knows, the next Lisa or DW might just stop by out of curiosity and presto, a bootmaker-to-be is born.

Hope to see everyone there and I'd advise going easy on the funnel cakes.

Bill “The Last Man Standing” Tippit
www.globalfootwearsolutions.com
sorrell

#48 Post by sorrell »

Bill,
You've obviously been to Silver Dollar City a time or two. Those funnel cakes go quickly from "Wow, these are good!" to "Oh, I wish I hadn't eaten the whole thing!"

Lisa
sorrell

#49 Post by sorrell »

Back to the more and different contest categories...Silver Dollar City is committed to hosting and promoting bootmakers and the contest. They've expressed an interest in hosting it indefinitely. So we have a great opportunity here, but we all need to make sure this first year is a rousing success.

I would encourage anyone who's at all interested or would like to see another category to try to choose one of the existing ones and enter a boot. We need lots of participation this year. The rules are made for this year, but everyone involved is eager to hear suggestions and see how the contest will evolve. If you join in this year and help make it a success, it will continue next year and your voice will be more likely to be heard because you participated.

Lisa
Ben Nobody

#50 Post by Ben Nobody »

I thought I would post categories,for everyone to see until their applications arrive.

Rules and Categories for the "Best of American Bootmaker's Competition"

All boots submitted for entry into this contest must have not been publicly displayed or entered into any other show or competition.

All boots submitted for entry into the contest must be functional, wearable footwear.

"Boots to Wear to Work"
Boots must have been completely built by only one bootmaker. Boots must be built of durable type leathers such as (calf, bullhides, oiltans, etc). Boot design can include brands or initials not both and/or collars on tops only.

"Boots to Wear to the Office"
Boots must have been completely built by only one bootmaker. The foot must be an exotic leather-no pig, horse, cow or kangaroo. No inlays or overlays on tbe foot of the boot. Inlay or overlay is allowed on the tops, but the boot can feature no more than three colors, including foot, inlay and stitching. The boot must have no less than six rows of stitching.

"Boots to Wear on Stage"
Boots must have been built by only one bootmaker. One additional person can contribute to the boot by tooling, beading, etc. Bright colors and elaborate designs are encouraged.

"Novice Class"
Boots must have been completely built by only one bootmaker. This bootmaker must have been in business for two years or less. Other than kangaroo, no exotic leathers are allowed.

"Best Shop Effort"
Boots that are built in a shop with 3-20 employees. Category is open to any leathers or designs.
Any Questions CALL LISA or GREG HA! HA!