St. Crispin's Day

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

St. Crispin's Day

#1 Post by admin »

All messages posted in this topic prior to 25 February 2002 have been moved to the first Crispin Colloquy CD Archive.

Admin--06 May 2002
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: St. Crispin's Day

#2 Post by dw »

Today is St. Crispin's Day. Since the middle ages this day has been known as "The Shoemaker's Holiday" and traditionally shops were closed for a day of merrymaking and revelry.

My shop is closed today. I've closed my shop on St Crispin's day for nearly thirty years...and I'm a better man for it. Image On the other hand Dekker says in his play "If it be not good, the Devil is in it" (1612) that Monday is the shoemakers holiday.
"This is not St. Crispin's Day," remonstrated somebody, one Monday, to a shoemaker who was sitting at his cups. "Sir," was the arch reply, "the anniversary of St Crispin is the first Monday in every week."
So, just to be safe I take Monday afternoon off as well.

From "The Romance of the Shoe" by Thomas Wright:
In olden times St. Crispin's Day (Oct.25th) was kept by the shoemakers almost everywhere as a holiday. the morning saw a grand procession of cordwainers with banners and music, some being dressed to represent Crispin, Crispianus, the Princess Ursula, and other personages of the legend. The cordwainers of London, however, outdid those of all other towns in gaity. The whole livery assembled in the hall (which was spread with rushes), every man in a new gown, and then proceeded to church, led by singing clerks chanting as they went. On their return they seat themselves to a banquet. A log fire in which is thrown a scented Indian wood called sanders burns on the hearth. All the freemen of the company are present, with their wives and sweethearts. They have met to have a good time, and they have it. The table groans with beef and game pasties. Sausages are served sizzling. Gispens and peg tankards are emptied. Metheglin, piping hot, is drunk from "jolly bottomless cups." the noisy jest goes round. They "birle" to one another (drink one another's health). The women blush and giggle when they are sprinkled with sweet water (scent). The loving cup, filled with generous wine, goes round. Feasting over, the officers for the year are elected. Speeches are made. there is animated talk regarding the condition of the trade. It is clear that in this world nothing really matters except leather. Suddenly there is a braying of trumpets. In come the mummers in comical dresses--some of them, as might be expected at a cordwainers' feast, wearing goats' heads--they perform a hundred queer antics. So droll are they that the women, ceasing from their affectation and simpering, cannot restrain themselves from screaming, while the men rock with laughter and roll off their settles. The players are begged to desist. It is too excruciatingly funny. The musicians make ready. citterns and citoles are tickled. Rotes, lutes and rebecs drone, violins wail, songs are sung and when all is over the revellers turn, laughing, shrieking and joking into the street, where linkboys are waiting to light them home.

For those of you who have never been to the HCC AGM, something very like Wright's description is happening as we speak.

I give the birle to those feasting and celebrating in Delavan, and to all our members and collegues in the Trade:

"Trowl the bowl, the jolly nut-brown bowl,
And here, kind mate, to thee;
Let's sing a dirge for Saint Hugh's soul, and down it merrily."

Happy St. Crispin's Day.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#3 Post by dw »

All

To every member of the Forum, I want to extend my wishes for a happy Saint Crispin's Day. I hope everyone is taking this day (or another work day) off in remembrance, and in respect of the Trade and its traditions.

To those at AGM, especially, I extend best wishes and thank you for keeping the traditions alive. Too much cannot be said on that score.

To all members of the CC let me share the tradtional toast (as passed on to me by Al Saguto):

"...may they flourish in harmony and unanimity together forever...".

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#4 Post by paul »

'To harmony, unanimity and amity'

PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#5 Post by dw »

It's that time of year again...

Happy Saint Crispin's Day to all. I hope everyone took the day off and rested, not coming it "Jack's A-shore."

God bless us...every one.

"...may they flourish in harmony and unanimity together forever...".

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
tomo

#6 Post by tomo »

Morning DW, Paul,
Tuesday noon here. We celebrated St Crispin's day here with a national holiday only they call it 'labour day' - It's actually a celebration of the introduction of the 8 hour working day, but St Crispin seems like a better reason too me.Image
Have a good one guys.
T.
More power to y'awl
dw
Seanchaidh

#7 Post by dw »

Ah! The Shoemaker's Holiday! A welcome day off from the travails and toil of the bootshop...a day to celebrate and indulge in unbridled exhuberance and deeply reflective contemplation....Image

Another year...Today is St. Crispin's Day and I extend my heartfelt wishes of joy and prosperity to one and all.

I can't wait to open my St. Crispin's day presents!

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
tomo

#8 Post by tomo »

DW,
let me know if you get that time travel thing sorted, Heck, I've got a 13½ hour trip just to get to LA let alone the internal travel, perhaps next year.

Have a great day guys

More power to y'awl.
T.
dw
Seanchaidh

#9 Post by dw »

Well, Gang...what with the forum's move and all I didn't get a chance to take a day off this year but tonight the quaiche is out and the Laphroig is "opening up" with the help of just a few ice cubes.

A toast to all of you and a belated happy St. Crispin's day to all.

The Candleblock is lit and I'm hoping the Great Cordwainer will leave a few toys under its waxen skirt!

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
tomo

#10 Post by tomo »

DW, don't you go burning that candle at both ends now, you hear.Image
More power to y'awl.
T.
admin
Site Admin

#11 Post by admin »

All,

Today is St. Crispin's Day--the Shoemakers Holiday. I trust that all of you are kicking back and enjoying a much deserved rest from your labours.

Since a good proportion of the forum membership is, even now, feverishly packing bags and hailing cabs, beginning the annual pilgrimage to Delavan for AGM, I wanted to wish you all a Happy St. Crispin's Day before you set out.

Tonight, I will light the Candleblock and raise a toast to all of you--colleagues, comrades, and fellow students of the Gentle Craft.

When the toast is done and the Candleblock is burning low, don't forget to write your deepest and most secret wishes on a little slip of parchment and feed it to the flame. Thus will your prayers be sent heavenward and directly into the ear of the Great Cordwainer.

May He bless us all...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#12 Post by paul »

DW,

Thank you soo much for the Saints good wishes! And mine to all of you, as well.

You know, that little slip of parchment is just the place on which to put my journal of my activities today.
(The toasts will follow, believe me)

Today, I will be disassembling a pair of full cut's and praying that my efforts to save the boots, (with your contribuions to the solution), are fruitful.

As I do so, I'll be thinking. I'll be thinking about our common traditions, and that since it appears that the road to craftsmanship is littered with mistakes learned the hard way (the proverbial box of shoes and boots in the corner), I'll be doing so with a connection to you all, and those who proceeded us. No doubt even our Patron Saint.

As I was chewing this over in my mind last night, preparing for what I was going to have to do today, it occured to me that this is good for what you are refering to when you teach to find only three things on which to improve, with each pair made. It's like objectivity gives us a place to put the rest of the errors that may exist.

I think if we look at our lessons in terms of the greater picture, it not only lessens the disappointment of the error, but also raises the conciousness to a higher level.

Or, at least that's how it occures to me this morning. We'll see how I feel at the end of the day.

Back to the bench.

PK
relferink

#13 Post by relferink »

I'll raise the glass for a toast to all Cordwainers, may our meeting be fruitful, our travels safe and our work blessed.
moonpai
Full Name: Terrance Pai

#14 Post by moonpai »

Good morning and happy Saint Crispin's day.
relferink

#15 Post by relferink »

A happy Saint Crispin's day to all the readers and contributors on the Colloquy as well as all Honourable Cordwainers' Company members. With this Saint Crispin's day falling on Saturday, (THE Saturday of the AGM) may we all find the time to reflect on the joys and inspiration the gentle craft have brought us.

Terrance, thank you for your early morning wishes and welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. No better day to join than on the birthday of our patron saint.

Rob
admin
Site Admin

#16 Post by admin »

For all the shoemaker's, bootmakers, snabs, souters, and cordwainers...as well as devotees of the Gentle Craft...here's to you--a wee dram--Happy St. Crispin's Day!

"Here's ta us...whas like us? Damn few and they're all deid."

Slainte'.

Emmett
admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by admin »

post deleted upon request of author

Yr. Hmb. Svt.
dw
Seanchaidh

#18 Post by dw »

[center]The Honourable Cordwainers’ Company
Annual General Meeting – October 21-23, 2011
Frommer Boots
Redmond, Oregon
[/center]

Schedule:

Friday

3:00–5:00PM...............Registration at Comfort Suites Motel 2243 SW Yew Ave. Redmond OR
7:00PM.......................“Feasting and Drinking” at 900 Wall Restaurant 900 Wall St. Bend OR
PM..............................Open

Saturday--Bend Fire Department – 341 Northwest Dogwood Avenue Redmond
8:00-9:00AM..............Annual General Meeting
9:00-9:15AM..............Break
9:15-10:00AM............Bill Tippit Last Development: Custom Versus Production
10:00-10:45AM..........Marlietta Schock Where the Last Bends
10:45-11:15AM..........Brett Walker Simple in Their Manners: Style and Construction Differences of English & French Footwear in North America ca. 1740-1790
11:15-12:00PM...........Bob Boyd Who You Were Was What You Wore
12:00-1:00PM.............Lunch
1:00-2:15PM...............Lisa Sorrell Crimping Alligator for Full Wellingtons
2:15-3:00PM...............Georgene McKim Sneaky Tricks for Women’s Shoes Part 3
3:00-3:15PM...............Break
3:15-5:00 PM..............Frank Jones Oxford Closing Sequence—Hands-on Tutorial
6:30PM.......................Saturday Evening Group Dinner at Johnny Carino's Italian Restaurant 63455 N Hwy. 97 Bend OR
P.M.............................Open

Sunday

8:30AM.......................Group Farewell Breakfast at Red Rooster 1857 NW 6th St. Redmond
10:00AM.....................Informal Hands-On Presentations and Demonstrations Show Swap and Trade at Frommer Boots 827 NW Birch Ave. Redmond (Bring your tools work samples shoes and stuff to show and trade.)
12:00..........................Lunch at Frommer Boots
1:00-4:00PM................Informal presentations networking and general swap meet
  • D.W. Frommer II—using shrink wrap for making men's dress shoes.
  • Rick Roman—DIY Tabletop last scanner.
  • Al Saguto—Bracing an 18thc Boot Tongue--Crimping w/ String Before the Age of Wood
  • T.B.A.

7:00PM........................Night Owl Dinner – Amalia's Mexican Cuisine 915 NW Wall Street Bend OR
PM..............................DW's bootshop open til 10:00PM
hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

#19 Post by hidesmith »

Fellow Footfitters,
I am forced to send regrets, in that this years' AMG will be minus Penny and me - funds do not allow attendance. We will miss the interaction with old and new friends, not to mention the education so generously provided.
Randee and DW - I am sorry not to be able to accept your hospitality, but thank you for it. It looks like it'll be a great weekend.
Carry on, all!

Bruce and Penny
dw
Seanchaidh

#20 Post by dw »

St Crispin's Day 2011...

This year the Great Cordwainer left a bottle of Oban under the candleblock, a promise of a long sought after pattern, the first of a series of one-a-shilling booklets first printed in 1934, and large procession of new members and old friends at my door birling and jesting, attending the groaning tables and passing the bottomless cup.

Thank you St. Crispin...and thanks to all who came and made the past weekend such a joyous occasion.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#21 Post by homeboy »

To All,

Happy Saint Crispin Day!

Glad to hear everyone had such a great time in Redmond. Sorry I wasn't able to attend.

Hope all returned to their families safe and sound.

Here's a bend to the elbow to Everyone!

Take care!
admin
Site Admin

#22 Post by admin »

Happy St. Crispin's Day to all HCC'ers.

those of you attending the AGM at the Rhode Island School of Design are particularly blessed.

:beers:

"Stay Calm, have Courage, and Look for Sign."
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#23 Post by homeboy »

OK Guys & Gals, raise an elbow in respect for St. Crispin Day! Have a good one, because Dee-Dubb & I are going too. Be safe!
What one man has done....another can do.
dw
Seanchaidh

#24 Post by dw »

Lagavulin 16 (despite the brandy snifter) -- Slainte', y'all.
st.crispinsday21014.jpg
(Click to enlarge)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#25 Post by das »

What? No kilts?