HCC meeting in Oct.

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
dai
Full Name: David Kilgour

Re: HCC meeting in Oct.

#101 Post by dai »

Lovely to read about and see pictures of all the people and activity at the AGM. I'm in New Zealand so am slightly inconvenienced in getting to the USA; but Frank manages it from UK, so one day ... Thanks to everyone who has posted on this topic.
regards David Kilgour
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#102 Post by danfreeman »

Thank you all for coming. The value of the meeting is the hands-on experience sharing, and the more to share, the more we all gain. A larger-than-usual attendance this year made it especially worthwhile: I learned four completely new things, for example. Welcome, new members attending for the first time; we all hope you'll return. Welcome especially members attending for the second time--it gets to be a habit after that.
jenny_fleishman
Full Name: Jenny Fleishman
Been Liked: 2 times

#103 Post by jenny_fleishman »

More photos:

Georgene McKim
5682.jpg

Lisa Sorrell
5683.jpg

5684.jpg

Rob measuring Georgene's feet.
5685.jpg

(Message edited by Jenny Fleishman on November 01, 2007)

(Message edited by Jenny Fleishman on November 01, 2007)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#104 Post by romango »

Larry demonstrates finisher technique.
5690.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

#105 Post by hidesmith »

Crispin,
I wanted to say how much Penny and I enjoyed visiting with you. I also had fun with you at the mexican restaurant. It is official - you are a pretty cool kid!

Bruce and Penny

PS we saw Bigfoot playing checkers with Moth-man at the airport.
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#106 Post by walrus »

Good morning All!

We are just getting out of bed after a two-day sleep, HA HA. We wish we were just getting up after a two-day sleep.
We would like to Thank You all for coming to Walrus Shoe and Leather Co, and for being a part of this years HCC AGM. It was a good time for all, we do believe. Special thanks to this years presenters, Dick Anderson, Lisa Sorrell, Bill Harris, David Ulan, Tim Skyrme, and Georgene McKim. Thanks also to our Sunday impromptu presenters, Sharlott Batten, Dan Freeman, Rick Roman, and Jenny Fleishman.
A Special note:
I didn’t get a chance to address you all at the meeting so I would like to take this time to Thank My wife Cindy without her this would be impossible I wish everyone could have a partner in life like her. And then there are the others that helped get things together in the shop. To them I owe much and a heartfelt thanks, Dick Anderson, Ken Holmstrom, Pegeen Rozeske, Bruce and Penny Graham.
The meeting is always a special time for me. It renews my enthusiasm for the craft. Each and every one of you brings something special to the group. I am deeply moved by your comments. When we are all together it is a special time of sharing and brotherhood a real sense of family. There are no judgments only the feeling of giving and learning, I always come away with new tricks that help me on my journey to be a better shoemaker. The collective knowledge in the room was awesome. The sharing of that knowledge was awesome. Where else could you immerse your self in such a large pool of knowledge? I was truly blessed to have you all come and share what you do with all of us. This kind of Brotherhood/Sisterhood is what will keep the craft going.
We had a lot of new people this year and a lot of old friends I think I got around to every one to welcome you. This meeting was like going to a wedding you see all the people and you think cool I will have a chance to talk to everyone, and then its over. If there was a down side that would be it, not enough time to spend with you all. Well there’s always next time. Remember if you are in the area please stop by it gets lonely here on the farm. Shoe and boot makers are always welcome, come see us.
Hope you all got enough to eat and enough info to fill your “soles” till the next time we get together.
Bruce,
We also heard rumors of polar bears, but don’t they need water? We did not have a body of water; maybe it was the Big Foot sign put up by Crispin maybe it was the bonfire?

Thank you all for coming, and to the rest of you, don’t forget all members are welcome to come to the HCC AGM meetings. Hope to see you there.

We love you all
Larry Cindy & Crispin

P.S. Its hard to go into the shop after you all leave, at first its like a tremendous vacuum. Then I start to feel the energy and good vibrations that you all brought. Such gifts.
I am blessed.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#107 Post by paul »

Larry,
We love you man.
Paul
starmaker
Full Name: Sharlot Battin

#108 Post by starmaker »

Hi All,
A little belated here but still spinning from such a great weekend and fabulous people. I DO plan to get info sent off to all I spoke to---but even (or especially) in the fast lane in NYC it always takes longer than one would wish to get things done!
Thanks again to everyone for "sharing" and especially the Waller family for all the hard work they did to make it a truly fabulous weekend.
Sharlot
zoe_rios
Full Name: Zoe Rios

#109 Post by zoe_rios »

Hi All,

I just wanted to thank you all for welcoming me to the group. I really appreciate your patience answering all my questions and all the help you gave.

Also, for those of you interested in the custom wood heels, the maker is

Bob Saxton
Bob Saxton Woodworks
bob@bobsaxtonwoodworks.com

Ok. Now I must get back to fixing my shoes and arranging them in picture frames.
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#110 Post by admin »

[center]Save the Date![/center]

[center]October 24-26, 2008

H.C.C. Annual General Meeting in Guthrie, OK!
[/center]

Save the date for this year’s Cordwainers meeting, graciously hosted by HCC member Lisa Sorrell in Guthrie, Oklahoma, a beautifully preserved Victorian city which features the largest urban historic preservation district in the United States! More details will follow this summer on hotels and travel arrangements, and earlybirds can contact Lisa at customboots@aol.com. Oklahoma City looks to be the closest major airport, for those planning ahead.

A Call for Papers: More details will follow this summer about speakers and program plans, and anyone interested in sharing a presentation, lecture or workshop is encouraged to contact Marc Carlson at marc-carlson@utulsa.edu or Al Saguto at dsaguto@cwf.org.

A big Thank You in advance to Lisa and her husband Dale for what we know will be a great weekend. We look forward to seeing you all in Guthrie!
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#111 Post by sorrell »

Dale and I are excited to be hosting this year's Cordwainers meeting and we're looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

I've reserved rooms at the Sleep Inn for the weekend. That weekend is also a big event at the Lazy E rodeo arena in Guthrie. All hotels in Guthrie will fill up that weekend so I'd recommend that everyone go ahead and reserve their room! The room rate is $79.49 per night including tax. The phone number for the Sleep Inn is 405-260-1400. Ask for the Cordwainer's rate, or just the boot and shoe maker's rate.

On Saturday we'll be meeting at the Oklahoma Territorial Museum. This is one block from my shop. Our meeting room is in a historical building so we're not allowed to bring in food. We'll take a break and walk to my shop for lunch.

Everyone is welcome to stay around on Sunday too. I hope to have some speakers and demonstrations on Sunday. We'll do that in shop so we have access to any tools or equipment needed.

I haven't made firm dining plans for the weekend yet. We have a wonderful Mexican restaurant in Edmond that I want to make sure to include. Their meeting room only holds 35 people, but they also cater. I'd appreciate it if everyone who's planning to attend in October would call or email and let me know. I won't know how to plan with the Mexican restaurant until I get a head count.

Lisa Sorrell
Sorrell Custom Boots
405-282-5464
customboots@aol.com
proxy_posting
Full Name: proxy posting
Been Liked: 5 times

#112 Post by proxy_posting »

Correction from The Crispin Courier:

Please note the correct room rate for the AGM, it was listed incorrectly in the latest Crispin Courier– with apologies from your humble treasurer, M. Saguto.

Sleep Inn and Suites

414 Heather Rd
Guthrie, OK 73044-0908
1-405-260-1400

Rate is $79/night ++taxes, double occupancy

We're looking forward to a great weekend in Guthrie, and thanks again to Lisa and Dale for being our hosts!
frank_jones
Full Name: Frank Jones

#113 Post by frank_jones »

I am really looking forward to the get-together in Gutrie OK next month.

Do we have a program listing the speakers please?

If you have not made arrangements yet, this is a “must-attend” - ask anybody who has been to previous AGMs. This grey-haired Brit is travelling all the way from Manchester. No, not the one in New Hampshire, the original Manchester in England.

See you in Guthrie, but it would be nice to have a program listing who will be speaking, posted up on the Colloquy now.

Frank Jones
frank.jones@noblefootwear.com
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#114 Post by das »

Frank,

So glad to learn you're coming to Guthrie, yes, it ought to be a fantastic meeting. We're firming-up the presenters and presentations as I type this, and once everybody is confirmed, we'll post the preliminary schedule.

BTW, there is still some room if anyone wants to give an talk, illustrated lecture, hands-on demo, or lead a round-table discussion. It just needs to be non-commercial, and educational...and to do with footwear, it's history, making, etc. of course, as we video the presentations and distrubute them as HCC educational materials. Drop a PM to me, Lisa Sorrell, and Marc Carlson with a breif description as well as any high- (or low-) tech equpiment you'll need.

See you in Guthrie!
fred_coencped
Full Name: Fred Coen;Foot Comfort Center

#115 Post by fred_coencped »

All,
I am planning to arrive in Guthrie on thurs.Oct.23rd.leaving Santa Fe,N.M.by car.
I will offer a ride or even a pick up at the airport for anyone en route.
I do not have a room reservation and so far plan to ad lib it,trusting in our wonderful universe to land where I am meant to be,sort of.Anyway if there are any of you who do wish or have available space to share could you please let me know.
Of course I am excited about this years event with Lisa and want to say that last year was my first AGM meeting and I left it exhilarated and inspired!
I look forward to seeing you all.
Thanks,Fred
sorrell

#116 Post by sorrell »

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone in October!

Here is a current speaker and topic list:
Rick Roman will be giving a presentation on CAD Pattern Making
Bruce Graham will speak about a find of Concealed Shoes in Massachusetts
Larry Waller will explore the beauty of Small Scale Manufacturing and Machine Production
Marc Carlson will give a presentation on the HCC Library
Nasser Vies will demonstrate Thread Preparation (waxing/twisting) for Boot and Shoemaking
Georgene McKim will offer Sneaky Tricks for Women's Shoes
Tour of the Oklahoma Territorial Museum
Frank Jones will speak on From Manufacturing to Teaching the Trade

There will be seminars on both Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's speakers will be in the museum with a slide projector available, and Sunday's speakers will be in my shop with my machinery and tools available for demonstrations.

Here also is a list of the restaurants for each evening:
Friday, October 24, Stables Café, 223 N. Division, Guthrie, OK, 7:00 PM
Saturday, October 25, Lucille’s Restaurant, 106 N. Main, Mulhall, OK, 7:00 PM
Sunday, October 26, Ted’s Café Escondido, Edmond, OK, 6:00 PM

Lisa
marcell

#117 Post by marcell »

I wish I could be there. Have a nice meeting!
frank_jones
Full Name: Frank Jones

#118 Post by frank_jones »

I am really looking forward to seeing Lisa and Dale again, but in Guthrie this time. The program looks good and if previous events have anything to go by - should be stimulating. I am very much aware that the economy is going down the toilet but this is not an event to miss!

On a practical note - if anybody needs a ride from/to OKC Airport, my movements are below. Please let me know by email, so that I do not miss you.

NEED A RIDE:-
I arrive on Friday 24th from Dallas/Ft.Worth on AA1630 at 13.50 and will be collecting a bag before going to Hertz Car Rental.

I will be flying out on Tuesday 28th at 12.45. That means I will have to be at the airport around 10.30 but could go earlier if needed.

Frank Jones
frank.jones@noblefootwear.com
sorrell

#119 Post by sorrell »

I'm finally home from my travels and am beginning to focus on the upcoming HCC meeting. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone! If anyone has any questions or special needs please let me know.

Lisa Sorrell
customboots@aol.com
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#120 Post by dw »

I wish you all a great time. I was all set to slip into town (quietly and mysteriously, of course) at the last moment and just show up. But when I went to make reservations at the only motel in town that takes pets, I was told the weight limit was 20lbs. Twenty pounds!? What kind of pet is that? Nutria? Gerbil? Maybe a pet chicken. Anyway Rosie the racer was not allowed.

Have a good time, you all, and take plenty of photos for us stay-at-homes.

Slainte'

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
sorrell

#121 Post by sorrell »

The "Meet and Greet" on Friday will be at my shop. I've made a sheet that contains directions to everywhere you'll need to go during the HCC weekend, starting with directions to my shop. I'll leave several of those at the front desk of the Sleep Inn.

If you'd like me to email you the directions, just let me know and I'll do that.

Go ahead and check in, ask for your direction sheet and then come on over to the shop. Bring your swap, trade and display items and I'll have a table set up. I'll have registrations materials and name badges for everyone here rather than leaving them at the hotel.

See you soon!

Lisa
dw
Seanchaidh

#122 Post by dw »

For whom it may hold a passing interest...

I have reservations in Guthrie for the AGM...

Oh well, there goes my air of mystery.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Membe
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#123 Post by romango »

Anyone still interested in sharing a room can contact me directly.

That is, I have a room reserved but only me in it so far.
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#124 Post by homeboy »

Dee-Dubb,

Are you gonna bring your dress? You can leave your stick at home! On second thoughts, you might ought to bring it!

Seriously, that's great news! It's gonna be a great gathering!

Drive careful!

Jake
dw
Seanchaidh

#125 Post by dw »

Jake,

I wasn't gonna bring my kilt (it's called a "kilt" because that's what happened to the last person who called it a skirt/dress) but now that I know you're coming, I might...just to to get your opinion on whether it makes my butt look big. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC