HCC meeting in Oct.

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
tjburr
Full Name: Terry Burress
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 8 times

Re: HCC meeting in Oct.

#351 Post by tjburr »

Here's a few more pictures.

14057.jpg
14058.jpg
14059.jpg
14060.jpg
14061.jpg
14062.jpg
14063.jpg

Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#352 Post by das »

DW,

Naw, I meant Jake coulda head-butted that ol' red-neck, we'd have all escaped without having to run, and I mighta got to keep the Fairlane *sigh*. I noticed a lot of older '60s rolling stock still on the road out there and in Montana too. I guess the winter's road salts eat ours up prematurely back here.

You know the biggest complaint about kilts after wearing them in combat in WWI? Lice hid deep in the pleats and just could not be gotten rid of. Even the symptoms of dysentery did not dislodge the "Scots Greys" (lice).
marika_vchasse
Full Name: Anne Marika Verploegh Chasse

#353 Post by marika_vchasse »

For all the fondue fans(especially Al and Miriam Saguto) out there here the solved mystery over that last bite of cheesy thingy stuck to the bottom of the caquelon that sparks some random wrestling amongst the fondue guests (it was pointed out to me that it seems to be more dominant amongst males - although I remember stabbing for it with my fondue fork as well). In the French speaking cantons of Switzerland it is called "Religieuse" - in the German speaking cantons (well Bern really, where I grew up) it is called "Chruschte".
Thank you all for a fabulous weekend in Redmond - that was just grand!!! See you in Vermont in 2012!!!
Marika
P.S. : Any more Fondue related questions I will be happy to answer...
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#354 Post by dw »

Al,

Oh! Now it comes out...Jake was supposed to head-butt the owner of the Fairlane. Well, that's better.

As for the "cootie-count" on my kilt...well, I haven't really started but perhaps as alarming as any hard numbers, since I hung back it up in the closet, it moves all by itself ever now and again. Image.

We don't use salt on our roads out here I'm not so sure about Montana, though.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dw
Seanchaidh

#355 Post by dw »

Those panoramas are great, Terry. Everybody has a little different perspective...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#356 Post by danfreeman »

Sue and I just got home last night, but the Guild meeting was surely the high point of the vacation. So much was learned--if I had had my conversation with Bill Crary a month ago, I would have saved hours of work on an ill-advised fitting attempt. That's why we go--the Guild is an educational foundation.
Thank you all for coming, old friends, and it is encouraging to see so many new faces.
das
Seanchaidh

#357 Post by das »

Yup, the car owner, not you laddie.

Any cooties must have been bed-bugs lurking the hotel closet--not me Image

My buddy in Kalispell, MT salts they use cinders on their roads, not salts. I guess when it can reach 40-50 below zero in winter, salt melting ice/snow is a chemical impossibility. Lots of cool old vehicles still rattling around out there *drool*
das
Seanchaidh

#358 Post by das »

Marika,

Yes, "Chruschte", that's it! It sounded like "crusty", as in hard crusty bit. Is that a fair translation from Switzer-Deutsch I wonder? My friends in Lausanne, CH, served it once, and I just forgot the name of the prized crusty bit.

Good luck on your "big day" coming soon.
tjburr

#359 Post by tjburr »

Well, it's time for some more pictures.

First; All these pictures are of a reduced size. So if someone is desperate for a copy with a higher resolution, let me know and I can separately email. I did not want to upload multi-meg files. In addition, I have other angles and closeups of some of these if there is a particular interest, let me know.

Second; Thanks Bob for this unique experience. I had never considered the differences of a mining boot. Check out this boot. It has nails to increase wear and a second half sole when built new, all purpose built. Definitely could not be used for riding with that extra sole.
14082.jpg

Several of these shoes had a similar type sole, obviously for the same purpose.

I actually found this pair to be of a very nice quality. And if you look closely the design is a four leaf clover. Maybe an Irish emigrant.
14083.jpg
14084.jpg
14085.jpg
14086.jpg

With the next pair; I am not an expert on this period, but I was surprised that the pulls were riveted, rather than stitched.
14087.jpg
14088.jpg

A few other shoes
14089.jpg
14090.jpg
14091.jpg
14092.jpg
14093.jpg
14094.jpg
14095.jpg
14096.jpg
14097.jpg
14098.jpg

have fun.

Terry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjburr

#360 Post by tjburr »

I did want to mention...if you have any knowledge of when these boots were made, by who they were made, anything about there use, and any other information. Please post it, Bob would love the information and we owe any information we can supply him for this great opportunity.

Terry
tjburr

#361 Post by tjburr »

Here's a few pictures from Al's string crimping demo.

First Al showed off the more modern approach..the board. He displayed this, waving his hand up and down, like it was a particular beautiful piece of artwork.
14100.jpg

A few more from the different stages. Get the video to see the full process.
14101.jpg
14102.jpg
14103.jpg

Terry
tjburr

#362 Post by tjburr »

How about a few pictures of our great host. But a little note; I normally do not take much pictures, but I had a new toy/camera and was having fun. Thanks for all the great photographic moments.

Did I mention that DW and Randee were incredible. Great food, great beer. In addition to the restaurant food, Randee fed us in style. I still need the recipe for the pumpkin soup, I reallllly love pumpkin.

First photo is the final goal. The remainder are some of the stages in making the final product. Unfortunately the pictures do not include subtitles or sign language to get all the facts.
14105.jpg
14106.jpg
14107.jpg
14108.jpg
14109.jpg
14110.jpg

Terry
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#363 Post by homeboy »

At-a-boy Terry! Mucho Gracious!
dw
Seanchaidh

#364 Post by dw »

Several people asked for the recipe for the Pumpkin Soup I made for AGM. Here it kind of is. I started with this recipe from Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill Cookbook and then put my Randee spin on the 2 gallons I made for AGM.

[center]Pumpkin Soup[/center]
3 to 4 c chicken stock
3C pumpkin puree (not flavored pie filling)
2t cinnamon
1t ground ginger
1/2t allspice
1/4t ground nutmeg
2T honey (I used agave syrup)
2T maple syrup
2t chipotle chile puree (I used Herdez Rancho salsa in the can)
3/4C Mexican Crema or sour cream
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Bring 3 cups of the stock to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Whisk in the pumpkin puree, 1t cinnamon, the ginger, allspice, nutmeg, honey, maple syrup, and chili puree. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes. Add more stock if the soup is too thick.

2. remove from heat and whisk in 1/4C of the crema (or sour cream) and season with salt and pepper.

3. Mix together the remaining 1/2C crema and 1t cinnamon until combined (I didn't do this)

I served the soup with Siracha hot sauce thinned with a little water drizzled on top and Cilantro Oil also drizzled on top. The cilantro oil recipe is from the same cookbook.

[center]Cilantro Oil[/center]
1-1/2C canola oil
1C packed fresh cilantro leaves and stems
10 fresh spinach leaves
1/2 t kosher salt

combine all in blender and blend for 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh strainer.
(I used canned pumpkin puree that the recipe called for but also pumpkin and squash from my garden that I roasted. That is the main difference and then the way that I garnished it.)

Enjoy your own version.

Randee Frommer
tjburr

#365 Post by tjburr »

Randee,

Thanks for posting.

Terry
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Been Liked: 5 times

#366 Post by admin »

[center]Save the Date!
October 26-28, 2012
H.C.C. Annual General Meeting in
Middlebury, Vermont!
[/center]

Save the date for this year’s Cordwainers meeting, graciously hosted by Dan Freeman in historic Middlebury, Vermont.

In addition to the New England history nearby, Middlebury is the county seat of beautiful Addison County. It is home to Middlebury College and the Henry Sheldon Museum of Vermont history, with lots to see and do.

More details will follow this summer on hotels and travel arrangements – Keep your eye on the web for more info! Nearby airports include BTV Burlington, VT; Rutland, VT; Albany, NY, and several others, for those planning ahead.

A Call for Papers: More details will follow this summer about speakers and program plans, and anyone interested in sharing a presentation, lecture or workshop is encouraged to contact Marc Carlson at marc-carlson@utulsa.edu or Al Saguto at dsaguto@cwf.org.

A big Thank You in advance to Dan and his wife Susan for what we know will be a great weekend. We look forward to seeing you all in Middlebury!
luckyduck

#367 Post by luckyduck »

Anyone looking to drive out this year? I'll be heading from Eastern Iowa and pretty much taking I-90 all the way.

It would be great to have someone to drive with.

pm me if you are interested, and of course sooner would be better to get the logistics down.

Thanks

Paul
kevin_l
Full Name: Kevin W. Leary

#368 Post by kevin_l »

Paul: E-mail sent

Kevin
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#369 Post by sorrell »

Is the meeting going to be in Dan's shop or at another location?

Lisa
frank_jones
Full Name: Frank Jones

#370 Post by frank_jones »

I am really looking forward to the AGM again this year.

For those who may not have attended before, this meeting is the highlight of my year. Two whole days with presentations from other people who are crazy enough to want to be in the hand boot/shoemaking business or as a hobby. Forty or fifty people all talking the “same language”, well nearly, because there will probably be one or two from overseas. They are a real mixture, young and not so young, female as well as male, newbies and others who have been in footwear for more than a few years.

If you have not been to the AGM meeting before, do come. It is very special event which this year is being hosted by our President - Dan Freeman.

See you in Middlebury VT.

A postscript - following on last year, I have been asked could do another hands-on “thing -ee”. So for those who have asked, everybody attending will be putting together a man’s Blucher/Derby shoe upper and lining. I have never done this style as a demonstration before, so I will be learning TOO!

Frank Jones
frank.jones@noblefootwear.com
marc
Full Name: Marc Carlson
Been Liked: 2 times

#371 Post by marc »

So, how's it all going? I want to see pictures. Are there any hurricane related problems?

Marc
dw
Seanchaidh

#372 Post by dw »

Alright you guys...I know you're literally getting blown away at AGM but as the saying goes:

"Photos! Or it didn't happen."

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#373 Post by dearbone »

OK this meeting didn't happen, until we see some proof!

Nasser
eric_e

#374 Post by eric_e »

I'm a novice and new member and this was my first HCC meeting. Image

But I'd like to nominate a new saying into the record:

Show up! Or it didn't happen for you.

The meeting certainly happened for me and for many more folks than I expected.

So I'd like to thank Dan and Al and Miriam and all the organizers and speakers and venue owners who donated time or place.

Also to Frank Jones for enthusiastically sharing his extensive knowledge and experience in pattern making, and to all the other attendees who shared their insights, experience, and aspirations. It was wonderful to meet everyone and it was a great event!

Eric
hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

#375 Post by hidesmith »

This year's travelogue brings us to Middlebury, VT, where the Hounorable Cordwainer's Company is holding it's annual meeting. Middlebury hosts the famous Middlebury College, which advertises its presence by its mustard-colored historic buildings that grace the road into town.

The Middlebury Inn is another famous historic building, representing the grace and elegance of a past era. The Inn hosts an afternoon tea, which is in keeping with the past era, and costs extra to participate in. Not being aware that it cost extra, I partook sparingly, given my attempts at halting the increase of my girth. I free-loaded.

The meetings were hosted on Saturday by the historic Middlebury Congregational Church. Once the business meeting was successfully completed, we embarked on an educational adventure the likes of which was quite uncommon for Middlebury, Vt. The discussion involved embroidered shoes, guilds in history and today, starting a shoemaking program at Fort Ticonderoga and teaching inlaying techniques.

The discussion during the afternoon was focused on NH, with a visit to the last peg-making factory in the USA and an introduction to a shoemaker and farmer named Samuel Lane.

The afternoon was made even more pleasant by visits to the Sheldon Museum of Vermont History and to the shoemaking workshop of the world-renowned Dan Freeman, both found in the historic Frog Hollow district of Middlebury.

Sunday morning brought more educational adventures during a visit to the Isley Public Library, also found in the Frog Hollow district. During these sessions, we learned of several tips, tricks and techniques practiced by famous shoemakers. We had an ingenious demonstration of shoe upper construction using paper uppers, and learned more of how shoemaking can be accomplished by everyone. Following was a fascinating discussion of how to preserve animal skin using brain-tanning methods perfected by native Americans.

Dining was a treat, as we visited one of Middlebury's former stone-cutting sheds where American Flat-bread Pizza was served. More fine cuisine was provided by Rosie and Mr. Up. The Two Brothers were also visited, providing quality food and drink to all who so desired.

Absent at this year's annual meeting were the fez, the monkey bottle and Highland attire. We were on the lookout for polar bears, but none were sighted.

Old friends were met and new friends were made. Shoes were discussed in a way that can only be accomplished once a year, and must be looked forward to during the rest of the year.

Many members of the group so enjoyed their time in Middlebury that they postponed leaving, opting to stay a few days longer. This was accompanied by the thoughts that departing would occur in a few days "if the good Lord's willin' an' the creek don't rise", to coin an appropriate phrase.

Special thanks to Dan and Sue for making a great weekend in spite of difficulty. More thanks to all who contributed their time and expertise helping set up and provide information to all who attended.