Of interest...

Do you know of a boot or shoe related event that might be of interest? Hear Ye, Hear Ye...
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

Re: Of interest...

#401 Post by das »

Roy,

We'll be getting samples from: http://www.tannerie-garat.com/ this summer, hope they do the weights we need.

Cheers,
Al
das
Seanchaidh

#402 Post by das »

Also, though not veg-tanned nor stout thickness, if you've ever used Freudenberg calf it seems they're back trading as: http://weinheimer-leder.com/en/wl/history/1849/
proxy_posting
Full Name: proxy posting
Been Liked: 5 times

#403 Post by proxy_posting »

CRAFT THE LEATHER WORKSHOPS
LEATHER TOOL + TECHNIQUES
| RISD | Providence, RI |
Oct 28th or 29th
10am - 4pm
Leather Footwear Futures V2
The second iteration of RISD's Leather Footwear Futures. Attendees will be crafting Tuscan vegetable tanned leather with master craftsmen visiting from Tuscany, Italy. These workshops are craft-based within the context of understanding the material, sustainability and cultural values of the leather crafting process.

Each participant will experience an Introduction to the Techniques and Tools of Leather Craft with demonstrations and examples which will give insight into working with this material. Italian master craftsmen lead these workshops as studio based practices.

BOTH WORKSHOPS ARE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

$35 ALL MATERIALS INCLUDED

Workshops are fully partnered and developed by the generosity of
Consorzio Vera Pelle Italiana Conciata Al Vegetale

FUNDING AND SUPPORT MADE POSSIBLE BY RISD DEPARTMENTS OF

Apparel Design, Materials Resource Center, Industrial Design and Furniture

RISD Industrial Design Building
161 South Main St.
Providence, RI

REGISTER HERE

CONTACT
KATHLEEN GREVERS
kgrevers@risd.edu

Friday October 28th
or
Saturday October 29th 10am - 4pm

(The Rhode Island School of Design is a not-for-profit accredited educational institution)
proxy_posting
Full Name: proxy posting
Been Liked: 5 times

#404 Post by proxy_posting »

Just for the sake of curiousity: All three referencing DW.

From Squalor to Baller

Die, Workwear!

Keikari
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#405 Post by homeboy »

Dee-Dubb........ :thumb:
What one man has done....another can do.
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#406 Post by dmcharg »

G'day All,
Does anyone know if the Shoemaker's Competition in Germany is still going? Ref: International competition on the merits of Shoemakers' trade 2016 Host: Central Association of the German Shoemakers' Trade (ZDS)
The most recent hits I can find date from the 2016 comp and I was hoping to try entering. Web pages tend to be in German too.
Cheers
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 1.17.48 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 1.15.53 pm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#407 Post by paul »

Duncan,
Lisa Sorrell has been attending the European shoe shows and competition. She may have some information for you.

And btw, I thought I'd let you know that lately I've been doing a back stitch on my Opanka Soles. :-)
With regards,
Paul
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#408 Post by dmcharg »

Thanks Paul, And wishing you continued success with your hand sewing :beers:
Cheers
Duncan
das
Seanchaidh

#409 Post by das »

Maybe old news, but I just was told yesterday Pilgrim Shoe Sewing Machine, in Massachusetts, is going out of business. No idea is Shoe ReNu will pick up their line of parts. This is not an endorsement, just a heads up for those who've depended on Pilgrim for decades.
paul

#410 Post by paul »

Thanks for the heads up, Al.
homeboy

#411 Post by homeboy »

My-oh-my! Sad!
das
Seanchaidh

#412 Post by das »

A shoe exhibition by HCC boardee Edward Meader, accompanied by a wonderfully illustrated book: http://www.avenuemagazine.com/footwear- ... t_id=12627
das
Seanchaidh

#413 Post by das »

Another shoe-book! For those of you who attended the AGM at Bata Shoe Museum, you'll recall Kimberly's excellent presentation touching on many aspects covered in her forthcoming book: http://www.silkdamask.org/2018/04/treas ... -from.html
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#414 Post by dw »

The World Championship in Shoemaking was held in London this past weekend with Patrick Frei of Germany taking first place and Daniel Wegan taking second. This was a very professional and classy event and all those who entered were among the very best in the world.

Jesper Ingevaldsson's Shoegazing blog has a comprehensive initial write up/overview and a good look at Patrick Frei's entry as well as those of the second and third place entries.

The Frei entry is remarkable on several levels...not the least of which is the shoetree (not judged)... as is Daniels Wegan's entry featuring outsole stitching done at 21spi.

Well worth the reading....well worth the awe and inspiration evoked.

Patrick Frei's Website

And here is a look at the rules and criteria used in the judging, as well as a list of the jurors (some high powered talent there as well).
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
das
Seanchaidh

#415 Post by das »

Wow! Just wow. HCC held Prize Work competitions years ago (same anonymous criteria), Ernie Peterkin devised, but too many members were intimidated by it, so it went by the board. It took a lot of cajoling (like offering to waive the AGM registration fee) just to get members confident enough to wear their own work to meetings, which many seem to do now with no inducement. DW, didn't you win it one year for the Western boot category?
dw
Seanchaidh

#416 Post by dw »

das wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:33 am Wow! Just wow.
I know, right. I see these guys on Instagram a lot (I follow most of them,) but other than there and maybe Styleforum, you don't run across work of this caliber anywhere else on the 'net. It's mind blowing, sometimes. Creates perspective, for certain.
HCC held Prize Work competitions years ago (same anonymous criteria), Ernie Peterkin devised, but too many members were intimidated by it, so it went by the board. It took a lot of cajoling (like offering to waive the AGM registration fee) just to get members confident enough to wear their own work to meetings, which many seem to do now with no inducement. DW, didn't you win it one year for the Western boot category?
Yes, I won it the only year I entered, with a pair of short top, lace-up bootshoes...don't know that there was a dedicated Western Boot category, though. But I wasn't there--seems to me that Dan sponsored my entry that year.

But the thing that bogles me is to think of the courage...and the authentic humility...it takes to put your work out there for inspection and critique (even criticism). From talking to one of the jurors (who has become somewhat of a digital friend) I suspect that the near world-wide support among the people who entered actually fosters courage...or makes it moot...simply because there's so much respect for each other in that crowd. And very damn few secrets.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
das
Seanchaidh

#417 Post by das »

A knock-on article about the Weitzman exhibition: https://www.womanaroundtown.com/section ... ric-shoes/
dw
Seanchaidh

#418 Post by dw »

Jesper Ingevalsson has posted a follow-up and comprehensive review of the top 30 entrants in the recent World Championship of Shoemaking.

To begin, the criteria for the judging is detailed as well as a cursory introduction to the judges themselves.

Each entry is critiqued, highlighting both the things that impressed the judges as well as issues that did not. It is quite detailed. And there are many, many photos of each entry, including photos of techniques of construction--a few eye-openers there.

It is well worth the read....even for those whose eyes bleed easily.

This is in two parts--entries 1-10, and entries 11-30. The link to the blog is below.

Shoegazing World Championship
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
das
Seanchaidh

#419 Post by das »

This is well worth a lingering look I think. Little to quibble with re the judges decisions IMO, except the winners' heel-wheeling is a bit erratic. Wegan's 21 per inch in the welt stitching is superb, but why smother such perfection with blacking! Nice to see uppers properly floating on top the welt at the toe, as if "on a dinner plate". Hard to imagine a 13,000 Euro price for shoes though. Would have been nice to see an entry from Jan Peter Myhre, Oslo, who IMO captures the West End quality/aesthetic of the early 1900s.
dw
Seanchaidh

#420 Post by dw »

das wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 am This is well worth a lingering look I think. Little to quibble with re the judges decisions IMO, except the winners' heel-wheeling is a bit erratic. Wegan's 21 per inch in the welt stitching is superb, but why smother such perfection with blacking! Nice to see uppers properly floating on top the welt at the toe, as if "on a dinner plate". Hard to imagine a 13,000 Euro price for shoes though. Would have been nice to see an entry from Jan Peter Myhre, Oslo, who IMO captures the West End quality/aesthetic of the early 1900s.
Not sure what you mean there. Personally, I don't like to see the toe floating too high above the welt. I think it creates a disconnect. And the welt protects the toe to some extent, so too high exposes it and makes it more vulnerable.

For instance, I like the way the toe on #2 sits better than the toe on #1...and I really, really don't like the toe on #9.

And while we're at it I am shocked at the heel breast on #2. The maker is one of my "heros" but that's not stable, IMO...and my experience.

All of this is admittedly personal preference with zero historical basis I suspect...good thing I wasn't a judge. :cool:
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
das
Seanchaidh

#421 Post by das »

I was always taught, and one of the elder gents in London used the phrase, the toe should sit on the welt "like it was on a dinner plate". Just an aesthetic is all, and one too seldom seen anymore. And like anything, sure, it can be overdone. You sure don't want to see any of the sewing thread "showing its teeth" in that space, but the upper should be burnished up hard against the last's feather-line and therefore distinctly away from the welt.
dw
Seanchaidh

#422 Post by dw »

Traditional Arts Day at the High Desert museum south of Bend, Oregon. Invited exhibitors were chosen from the Culture Keepers roster maintained by the Oregon Folklife Network which is affiliated / associated with the national Endowment for the Arts.

On the porch of a small cabin which could legitimately be called a "ten footer" except it was set up as a cabin (bed, stove, etc.) rather than a shoe shop.
20180623_131744_cropped.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
paul

#423 Post by paul »

Very cool! And of course, you look the part.
homeboy

#424 Post by homeboy »

Paul,

I think Dee-Dubb is in trouble and Randee has put him in the "ten-footer"! Looks like he has all his stuff there. That's Home Sweet Home for DW! ;) :crackup:
melodychia
Full Name: Melody Chia
Been Liked: 1 time

#425 Post by melodychia »

Just got back to Australia from the Footwear Symposium in Savannah and it was an incredible weekend of learning and meeting amazing people! Bo Riddle and Greg Carmack were awarded Master Bootmaker titles by the Footwear Makers Guild. The topics presented at the Symposium were super diverse and included topics like:
  • Foot Function and Shoe Practicality by Dr. Rosemarie Resendez
  • Emerging Technologies and Automated Processes in the Craft of Shoemaking by Mohop founder, Annie Mohaupt
  • US Footwear Marketplace: Prospects, Pitfalls & Policy by Gary Raines from the FDRA
  • American Alligator: Protection Through Collection by Christy Plott from American Tanning
  • A Cowboy Boot Story by Paul Krause
Marcell Mrsan, the Guild President was also very complimentary about The HCC and gave y'all a shout out. Maybe we'll see some of you at next year's Symposium?