Shoe concealments

hidesmith
Full Name: Bruce Graham

Re: Shoe concealments

#51 Post by hidesmith » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 am

While building a house recently, I created, quite by accident, a small space that was unused. It was coincidental and I thought it a good joke to put a child's shoe in it. Whomever found the shoe would surely laugh and wonder why it was put there. I related my joke to some of my colleagues later that week, and they all laughed. Several liked the joke, and decided they's play similar jokes in buildings they were constructing. Some couldn't find shoes, so they said they used a hat in one situation, a shirt hung on a nail in another situation. We speculated on what the finders might say, as well as how long it might be before someone else enjoyed our joke.

This is, of course, a dramatization of a fictional past, based on nothing more than my own sense of mischief. It should not be taken as discounting in any way research done by others relating to reasons for shoe concealments . I just think it might account for at least SOME of the shoe concealments.

dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies

#52 Post by dearbone » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:16 am

Naughty naughty naughty,Bad boy.

kevin_l
Full Name: Kevin W. Leary

#53 Post by kevin_l » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:31 pm

I too have left in the wall of my basement a "time vault" that included among other things a .45 caliber round, a lead bullet, a quarter, a TOONIE from Canada, and a Tandy leather stamp. The stamp was a bad woven wire, but a good 'ETERNITY' stamp. It will bring a question, or two, a few hundred years from now. Yes?

dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies

#54 Post by dearbone » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:55 pm

mcmanning
Full Name: M. Chris Manning

#55 Post by mcmanning » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:10 am

For those who may be interested, my recently completed thesis, "Homemade Magic: Concealed Deposits in Architectural Contexts in the Eastern United States," is available for download on academia.edu:

http://www.academia.edu/2174815/Homemade_Magic_Concealed_Deposits_in_Architectur al_Contexts_in_the_Eastern_United_States

A good deal of the thesis discusses concealed footwear. In case you don't want to read all 473 pages (and I don't blame you), I would suggest reading pages 61-77 in Chapter 2, all of Chapter 4, pages 347-363 in Chapter 7, and looking through Appendix A. I'd love to hear any feedback.

Best,
Chris