THE GOOD OLD DAYS?

farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

Re: THE GOOD OLD DAYS?

#101 Post by farmerfalconer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:15 pm

Believe me, I believe you! Thats why I have gone back to trousers!
How can you see the other cobbler images? I tryed navigating the site in english but had a hard time doing searches.

Cody

proxy_posting
Full Name: proxy posting
Been Liked: 3 times

#102 Post by proxy_posting » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:36 am

“A cobbler in his place” :)
cobblers_place.jpg

dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 10 times

#103 Post by dmcharg » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:55 am

My wife just came across this article about a shoe shop that had been closed since the 1960's. Step back in time.
Enjoy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... dusty.html

A sample pic to whet your appetite
1416114535830_wps_11_A_Redditor_by_the_name_of.jpg

Cheers
Duncan

das
Seanachaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

#104 Post by das » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:03 am

From the “FOOTWEAR REPAIRER”, VOL. 2: no 7. London April 1948
” + + NEWS ITEM + BRISTOL AND PLYMOUTH ASSOCIATIONS OF BTA HAVE SENT RESOLUTIONS TO WESTERN D.C. URGING COUNCIL TO ASK NATIONAL UNION OF JOURNALISTS AND ALL NEWSPAPERS EDITORS TO STOP USING THE OFFENSIVE WORD “COBBLER” IN THE PRESS + +
A MORAL libel, or slander, as the case may be, is issued or committed every time the plural noun”cobblers” is used to describe that skilful craftsmen who literally keep the nation on its feet.
I use the term “moral libel” because it is not an actionable libel. It has been held by the courts that you cannot libel a class. You may say with impunity, for example, that all politicians are rogues, but you would be a foolish man indeed if you said Mr. BLANK, who is a politician , is a rogue, for Mr. BLANK would doubtless haul you up before one of His Majesty’s judges, who would in due process of law, order you to pay Mr. BLANK a sum of money calculated to compensate him for the injury to his reputation.
You cannot libel a class, ah ! —but you can libel an individual, as we all know and it would not surprise me the least if one of these days a shoe maker sought redress in the courts because he had been described as a cobbler by the newspaper.
WHAT THE DICTIONARIES SAY
-OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY: Cobbler: One who mends clumsily; a mere botcher.
Cobble : A clumsy mending.
- CONCISE ENGLISH DICTIONARY: Cobble : to botch, to make do clumsily or unhandily,
Cobbler : A mender of boots and shoes; a clumsy workman.
-UNIVERSAL ENGLISH DICTIONARY : Cobble : To do lumpy work, To mend or make, sew, in a rough, clumsy manner.
Cobbler : One who mends boots and shoes as a trade; (facetious) bootmaker, especially one in a small way of business; clumsy, bad workman of any kind.
What a hopeless task indeed confronts our intrepid reformer who would root out a word immortalized in saga and song, literature and legend.
The origin of “cobbler” is unknown. The earliest reference I can trace is from the writings of Thomas Langley (1362), The monk-poet of Norfolk, who ups with his quill and outs with “Clement be cobelere cast off his cloke,” a meaningless piece of alliteration that has somehow wandered into the Oxford English Dictionary. Of course there were shoe repairers thousands of years before friend Clement cast off his cloke, but whether they were branded as cobblers will never be known.

dw
Seanachaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 39 times

#105 Post by dw » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:11 am

:thumb:

:beers:
DWFII--HCC Member
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.

proxy_posting
Full Name: proxy posting

#106 Post by proxy_posting » Tue May 17, 2016 3:05 pm

Interesting link to a pdf book on shoemaking poetry in the 18th century. Can be read free online or downloaded for a small fee.

http://www.jstor.org/stable/41467879

dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 10 times

#107 Post by dmcharg » Thu May 25, 2017 3:21 pm

My beautiful wife, Sandra, came across this yesterday. And, yes, he is a cobbler, but has high talents in 'pin work' on the soles, as well as decorative cuts to the heel breast and 1/2 sole.
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/cobbl ... ry/artists

michael_anthony
Full Name: Michael Anthony Carnacchi

#108 Post by michael_anthony » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:49 pm

1812 APPRENTICE SHOEMAKER ENDENTURE
Pittgrove, 27 August 1812. One page, 8.25" x 13.25"
Endenture between shoemaker Isaac Alderman and apprentice Ananias Nelson.
Apprentice Shoe-maker Endenture.jpeg
Reads in full (with grammatical corrections):
"This endenture made this twenty seventh day of August eighteen hundred and twelve witnesses that Ananias Nelson son of Ananias Nelson of Pittgrove hath bound himself apprentice to Isaac Alderman of the same place to serve him as an apprentice the full term of four years four months. His security keep his lawful command & obey. At cards dice or any other unlawful game he shall not play. He shall do no damage to his said master nor cause it to be done by others without giving his said master notice. He shall not commit fornication nor contract matrimony within said term but in all things behave himself as becomes a faithful apprentice and his said master shall use his utmost endeavors to instruct and course said apprentice to be instructed in the art of shoemaking which he now followeth and shall procure for said apprentice sufficient meet drink and apparel washing and lodging, give him five months schooling and a set of shoemakers tools for the true performance of this endenture. We each set our hands and seals this 27th day of August 1812 in presence of"
Signed by Ananias Nelson with "his mark" and Isaac Alderman, along with John Alderman and Joel Elwell.

(This original document is displayed at my boot shop in order for my apprentices to take notice of how it was in the "good old days.")

das
Seanachaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 7 times

#109 Post by das » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:38 am

Nice!