Sewing machines

admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

Sewing machines

#1 Post by admin »

All messages posted in this topic prior to 25 February 2002 have been moved to the first Crispin Colloquy CD Archive.

Admin--06 May 2002
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

Re: Sewing machines

#2 Post by jesselee »

Hey Y'all.

I have been reading the posts on the 29K subject. Seems a consensus that the 4 is less than reliable when she gets worn.
I have restored a 29K-2 that I found rusted shut, but for 5 bucks, hey, it's repair practice. Anyways, she sews like a dream. Stripper her down to bare after 3 weeks of WD40, cleaned her up and put in a new shuttle. Thats all I did, cept tinker with the stitch. Tom gave me some tension advice and now she's in full production. Thanks again, TomImage
No doubt that seemed ambitious to say the least. I am now restoring a rusted Bradbury. K, I have a soft spot for these old gals..
Question is, when was the 29K-2 around? And does anyone know if she can be ajusted to stitch with a Barbours #3 linen cord, fed through the oil pan? I guess if I had the largest size needle (eye) and reworked the thread hole in the shittle and widened the grove it's possible... I would appreciate opinions.
As for the Bradbury, I have to remake 29K-2 bobbins ie. whitle down the circumference a cats whisker (more cat refrences for future researchers) as well as whittle down the shuttle. I am told by a dealer who consulted a man who still runs a Bradbury, that the 29K-2 needles will work in a Bradbury. If thats the case, all I need is a screw for the main tension and 2 lil bitty tension siscs and spring for the tension on the little arm that pulls the thread. She will use common patcher thread.
If anyone had old machines not in use or can't be fixed, I may be interested.

Jesse
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#3 Post by das »

Jesse,

You sure your Singer patcher is marked "29K-2"? I thought the first ones were just "29-4", and the "K" got added with later models? Anyway, try flushing all the oil-ports with brake cleaner until it comes out clear, then oil with non-detergent 30-weight motor oil. Use a tooth-pick to be sure all oil ports are clear of crud so the oil will flow to the desired moving parts. The gears and cams that need grease are usually happy with wheel-packing grease.

Good luck on the Bradbury. Maybe our English friends have some advice there, as they were an English machine if I'm not mistaken.

I have one of my Singer patchers set-up for linen thread (Barbour's machine twist available from Windmill English Saddlery, OH in white, black, brown). I run 3-cord 18, 25, or 35 on top, but the bobbin balks at anything heavier than 25. I use 100% pure neatsfoot oil in the oil cup, and it spits oil on the work, but this seems to soak in and not show later.

Hope you get yours running--they can do nice finish work if set up just right
jesselee

#4 Post by jesselee »

DA,

Great advice. I will do that by monday and submit a report. Yes, it is 29K-2. She looks smaller than the other 29K models I have seen. I had one of the first 29K machines with the single rod as opposed to the girder rod, made in Scotland around 1972-4. It has a very heavy needle and accepts a Barbour #4 cord linen. All I have is a left hand twist which I ran in my Puritan low post stitcher, best machine I ever used. I also fed the #4 cord through the shuttlr and hole and there was room. Perhaps this machine is rare in that respect ie. heavy cord. The pure Neatsfoot oil in the cup should make the cord smooth. If I set her up that way, that will be her cord for my heavy Peyote patterns.
I am told that needles from a 29K-2 will fit the Vradbury and I can whittle down the shuttle. The Bradbury dates are sketchy but collector sources say they were used during the Civil War, and being English, no doubt if they were, the Confederacy used them. As there were thousands sent to the USA, I would reckon they saw use in the early classic cowboy boot manufacture (my area). But I will run a #2 EE type patcher thread in her for the top bead and plain edge stitch. Thats 2 machines and counting.
I don't know the thread equivalents ie. 18, 25. 35 to the linen cord numbers ie. 3,4,5,6,7.
I will also be making the flat bed wood table. I shall deffinately be in touch with Windmill English Saddlery for my threads.
As usual, your expertise has put me light years ahead and soon, models of my 1800's stuff will be photographed and shared. Just wondering if working cowboys will want the old style boots?
JesseLee
jesselee

#5 Post by jesselee »

All

Just got my old 1878 Bradbury back from storage. It was my shop Master's machine and I cut my teeth on that one. She runs great and never misses a stitch. Still have more machines to collect for my permanent shop.
JesseLee
tmattimore
Full Name: Tom Mattimore

#6 Post by tmattimore »

I have finaly taken a decent pic of my wood pegging machine so I thought I would post it.
8829.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thomd

#7 Post by thomd »

Jesse, do you have some photos of your Bradburry? I seem to recall they are pretty handsome. Be cool to see a survivor.
jesselee

#8 Post by jesselee »

ThomD

Yes I can send you some pictures. They are beautiful ornate machines. Impossible to get parts for, so you learn quickly how to make them. My 1878 model is in use daily, The 1876 still needs a few parts.
Email me- jesseleecantrell@yahoo.com and I will get you some pics asap.

Cheers,
JesseLee
jesselee

#9 Post by jesselee »

Tom,

Is that a modern version of a pegging machine, or something you cobbled together from a McKay type stitcher?

Cheers,
JesseLee
tmattimore

#10 Post by tmattimore »

It was made in italy as a pegging machine. I made the post as the original was set up to do only the shank area on the last. The top is almost an exact copy of the 1870's Davey machine, The bottom of course has tons of electronics and pnuematics just to replace the clutch assembly.
Tom
jesselee

#11 Post by jesselee »

Tom

Thats brilliant. Does it used wooden peg strips? I see the rolls there, but not sure what they are. Sure would love to see the work she does.
Mine is from 1862, very ornate brass and cast steel and is treadle operated. Its been sitting in storage awaiting restoration. I have original peg strips and can duplicate them. These unusual machines are a real inspiration. Beats taking an hour to do a double row of 13 to the inch!
Cheers,
JesseLee
tmattimore

#12 Post by tmattimore »

Yes they are wood strips, from Austria. They are the only ones in the world suppling them So I bought 50 rolls in case they go out of business. When you get a chance post some pics.
Tom
jesselee

#13 Post by jesselee »

Tom

Amazing they are still being made. Then again, the Germans pegged their boots by machine during WWII. Thats the last account I know of regarding pegged boots other than living history. Do the peg rolls come in various sizes? I still have a few examples and there were different length of pegs. I will certainly post pics of my machine when she is out of storage and cleaned up. Its a very simple affair, few moving parts. It does one row ar about 5 to the inch and then you set the spacer for the second row.

Cheers,

JesseLee
jesselee

#14 Post by jesselee »

Tom,

Can you furnish me with the URL/address of the wood strip supplier in Austria? I would like to try them out.

Cheers,

JesseLee