Bristles

admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

Bristles

#1 Post by admin »

All messages posted in this topic prior to 25 February 2002 have been moved to the first Crispin Colloquy CD Archive. Those interested in obtaining a copy of this CD need to contact admin@thehcc.org

Admin--06 May 2002
martin
Full Name: Martin Moser
Been Liked: 17 times

Re: Bristles

#2 Post by martin »

Hi all,

my first posting after reading quite a bit :-) ... as I search didn't turn up anything for me, I'll go and ask: what is the oldest known reference to the use of bristles (of whatever kind) in shoemaking that you know of. I have heard people saying it was common in the middle ages, but never actually found anyone substantiating this with a reference.

My interest comes from the fact that I am building mostly Roman era shoes and am keen to ifnd out as much detail as possible about technologies in use.

Thanks for all replies!
Martin
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#3 Post by dw »

Martin,

You might start at Footwear of the Middle Ages

And if you wait long enough someone will surely post a more "Roman era" specific answer.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
martin

#4 Post by martin »

Ah, yes, Marc Carlson's site :doh:
Thanks!

Oh, btw., how do you start a new topic/thread, I'm too blind to find the button it seems ...
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Been Liked: 5 times

#5 Post by admin »

martin wrote: Oh, btw., how do you start a new topic/thread, I'm too blind to find the button it seems ...

You don't. That's the beauty and the caveat of The Crispin Colloquy. In a regular forum topics come and go and sometimes come again.

But more often they are lost to the weeks and months that go by and if the subject itself is ever raised again it is raised in yet another new topic that either get's ignored because it is rehashing information that has already been discussed or has no reference to material that was previously contributed.

Because the mission statement is to archive and preserve the knowledge, Admin has, over the last 15+ years, determined that almost any subject that is boot and shoe making related can be appropriately discussed in topics that already exist. If a member is certain that they have a subject for discussion that is not already covered by existing topics, they are welcome to PM or email Admin and suggest a new topic.

Emmett
martin

#6 Post by martin »

Ok, understood. Thanks for the explanation!