The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
mmboots

Re: The Gallery

#151 Post by mmboots »

5511.jpg

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I've posted any photos of my boots on the forum. This is a second pair that I made for this customer. The frist was a packer. This on has my new design for the vamp tounge. I've been using DW's from school for years. Still working on the templates. Would like any feed back. Thanks

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmboots

#152 Post by mmboots »

5513.jpg

Here's a second picture of the whole boot. I think the frist went ok.

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#153 Post by dmcharg »

G'day All,
Sorry I've been rather quiet for a while.
Hope this works Image
A boot I made 2 or 3 years ago (on a last,how's that?) Due to inexperience with these wooden contraptions,this one was an antique scoop last, I pulled it out rather too fast creating a fair amount of suction causing the wrinkles you see.

The whole thing is hand sewn with hand rolled threads and pigs bristles; sole at 10spi, upper at approx. 18spi .I say approx as I was doing the stitch spacing by eye. I had found out a couple of years earlier that I could do 8spi by eye reliably, so I wanted to find out if I could do fairly fine work also.
It was a success Image

Kangaroo upper and welt, sewn and pegged stacked heel. All veg. tanned.

Cheers
Duncan

Childs Balmoral:
5537.jpg

Sorry about the size. My wife Sandra scanned these for me at the Uni. (she's much better at this than me) and I've just discovered that I forgot to tell her to save at 100dpi. My Fault.

That's my thumb in the bottom picture.

(Message edited by DMcharg on October 10, 2007)
mmboots

#154 Post by mmboots »

\image

Hi All,

Here's a pair of packers that I just finished this week. The leather is bull hide from Charles Hardtke. The custmer wanted a rubber sole on them. I think they would have been just great with leather.

Mike
mmboots

#155 Post by mmboots »

5539.jpg

Sorry no picture. I'll try again.

Mike
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#156 Post by paul »

Well here's them Buckaroos.

PK

(Message edited by paul on October 11, 2007)
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#157 Post by paul »

Well now here's them Buckaroos.
5541.jpg

Over all I'm really happy with them. I wish I didn't have to send them to him for delivery, but he went and moved to Texas, of all places (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Thanks to help from DW and Spider I was able to get them to stand up straighter with just a slight intentional lean forward as per Sam Luchesse. ANd actually that didn't appear until I put the last lift on the heel base. They're built on a GFS-214 last with an 18/8 heel from our friend Bill Tippet. Isn't this a great looking last?

The vamp and counter are waxed horse hide, with casual water buffalo tops. They're lined with veg calf. The flutterby is all kid, and I used black veg roo for the collar. The thin little pulls are roo too. Hoo Hoo.

The shanks have one row of brass nails (this is the Southwest, after all), and one row of wood pegs. The heel base lifts are jacked, glued and pegged. Number one on my list of three things to improve, is the cutout on the butterfly. For some unknown reason, I chose to cut these out by hand. Actually I think the choice of leather is what's responsible for the rough edges. The w/b was too fiberous to get a good crisp edge. But I probably could have done a little better. I will resist the temptation to use this leather for such inlays in the future. I had the color, he liked it, I went with it.

A little tip to share. I got some black wax on the threads with rubbin' on 'em and all, and I remembered I'd bought a bleach pen to try. So I got it out and ran a small bead of the stuff along the thread and went over it with an old tooth brush. After I wiped it down and rinsed and wiped it again, it came out beautiful.

I don't get a chance to make this kind of boot too often, and I actually way undercharged him for all the work those flutterbys were. But I really wanted to make this pair of righteous Buckaroos. Now I have.

Now I have to await word of how they fit.

PK

(Message edited by paul on October 11, 2007)
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#158 Post by dearbone »

(Message edited by dearbone on October 15, 2007)
shoestring

#159 Post by shoestring »

Nasser,

I did not see your shoes posted as of yet.

Ed
dearbone

#160 Post by dearbone »

Ed
I tried to upload some pictures, but I could not work it, I can upload on the User Registration/profile area, But nowhere else, so I will ask some one to help me with it.
dearbone

#161 Post by dearbone »

5580.jpg
dearbone

#162 Post by dearbone »

5582.jpg
dearbone

#163 Post by dearbone »

5584.jpg
dearbone

#164 Post by dearbone »

5586.jpg
dearbone

#165 Post by dearbone »

5588.jpg
mmboots

#166 Post by mmboots »

Here's a pair of boots that I made for a customer that came into my shop with a pair of boots that were made 50 years ago by Hyer Boot Company. The customer asked if I could reproduce his boots. So here's the finished boot. They're made from water buffalo from Garlin Newman, inlays and trim are from white cow.
5594.jpg

Mike
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#167 Post by dw »

Well Gang,

In honour of St. Crispin's Day, I wanted to share these with you.

These are my very first pair of shoes made in the traditional manner. Since they are made for my foot I don't know whether you could call them "bespoke" or not...maybe, if you think that talking to yourself is perfectly normal.

I also want to dedicate these to the Brotherhood of the Full Wellington...kind of...because these are one piece vamps. I took on a lot when I started these and while not everything turned out perfect (still not ready for prime time) A lot of it went better than I hoped.

I also did a beveled waist on these shoes and while it may not be the weakest technique it is dern close.

Anyway...tan veg water buffalo, dyed d. brown (because I used blue water-colour pencil on it and couldn't get it to wash off). Inch and a quarter heel, extended toe, veg tan lined.

More photos in Outsoles
5627.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#168 Post by dw »

Here's a pair of boots I just finished. These are my "mission" style boots--they look kind of "Arts and Crafts" to me..

Inch and one-quarter heel, brown Fr. calf vamps, 12" glazed water buffalo tops, kangaroo and kid inlays.
5633.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#169 Post by sorrell »

These are the boots that I entered in the Western Design Conference. I won Best Artist, "Art to Wear".
5655.jpg
sorrell

#170 Post by sorrell »

These are the boots that I entered in the Master's Category at the Boot and Saddlemaker's Roundup in Wichita Falls, Texas.
5657.jpg
erickgeer

#171 Post by erickgeer »

Definitely not competing with Lisa's beautiful work. I finished these a couple of weeks ago for a colleague. Made in my usual semi-stitchdown construction. Glazed Veg-tan vamps and her materials for the boot shafts.
5661.jpg

Erick
sorrell

#172 Post by sorrell »

Rob,
That's a hilarious photo of Dale doing a yoga pose in his cowboy boots! Here's a photo of the boots. I think I've posted these before...they won at the Southwest Design Conference in Santa Fe.
5663.jpg
mmboots

#173 Post by mmboots »

In the sprit of stepping outside the box for boot makers. Here's a photo of my frist pair of golf shoes which I made last year, after taking up the game a couple of years ago. The shoes are black over blackcherry kangaroo, with a square toe,with a spikeless sole.

The second photo is a second pair I made this year. The shoes are bull hide with blue water buffalo, soft spikes. Both of these shoes were done as prototypes.
5699.jpg

5700.jpg
headelf
Full Name: Georgene
Been Liked: 1 time

#174 Post by headelf »

Mike, great looking golf shoes. Did you use a sole with the spike sockets already installed? If so, where did you obtain them?

Regards,
Georgene
mmboots

#175 Post by mmboots »

Here's a pair of boots I just finished. The bottoms are amber shark and the tops are burnish tan water buffalo. The top bread, side welt and pull holes are all made from shark. The customer wanted the heel and sole edge all finished natural. The gain in the shark pulled out during the cripping and lasting stages which I didn't like but the customer said he was okay with it.

Mike
5710.jpg