The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
holly
Full Name: Holly Embree

Re: The Gallery

#701 Post by holly »

These ladies are of the Edelman Luxe calf. If I had it to do over, I would widen the tab. The ankle wrinkles bug me, but I am told that is the nature of zippered boots. I am not a fan of zippers because they make no aesthetic contribution and am looking to experiment with other closure methods.
The good news is that my stitching(for once)looks like it was done by a sober person with good eyesight! The edge coloring is uneven and my finish work needs work. But, my friend loves them, so I am deeming this effort successful.
Suggestions, advice, criticism are greatly valued, as are all of your contributions to this forum.
11533.jpg
11534.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gshoes
Full Name: Geraldine Rabey

#702 Post by gshoes »

I wanted to show my new purses. Not yet shoes but they are still leather and I am working on rolled edges and hand sewing. The purple purse had some serious issues with respect to the final closing process and I did not invest any time in making a handle but I am proud of the attempt that I made with the green purse.

Geri
11540.jpg
11541.jpg
11542.jpg
11543.jpg
11544.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gshoes
Full Name: Geraldine Rabey

#703 Post by gshoes »

11546.jpg
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#704 Post by lancepryor »

Here is my latest pair of shoes. They are a monk strap, modeled after an Edward Green style. The leather is the Edelman Russian Calf in the dark blue; I am thinking about using some black shoe cream or polish to try to get it to be a midnight blue, almost indistinguishable from black.

The outsole is handsewn, 10spi. Square, non-beveled waist. The outsole is the Belgian pit tanned leather from Milton Sokol, which is not quite as nice to sew as the Bakers oak bark tanned leather.
11560.jpg

11561.jpg

11562.jpg

As always, comments and criticism are welcomed.

Lance
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#705 Post by paul »

Here is another recently finished pair. These have been called the Plainsman by others, with a Cathedral stitch pattern. I like the name 'Cathedral stitch pattern' better than the pattern itself, but whatever...
11568.jpg

16.5" tall stovepipe tops of 5-6 ounce Horween Beaumont. These were no fun to turn, I'll tell you what! I felt like Popeye by the time I was done.
Vegtan Horse Hide for side seams and fabric pulls of the same pattern as I've showed on previous pairs.

Paul
jim_b

#706 Post by jim_b »

As a custom boot maker I have a client who sends me alligator hides he hunts in Geargia. He does not wear boots but did want some golf shoes. I have not made shoes before but thought it couldn't be to much tougher than boots. After asking around about patterns I just decided to make my own. Saddled with some French Calf, here they are...
/image{my picture}

(Message edited by jim_b on August 23, 2010)

jim_b

#707 Post by jim_b »

As a custom boot maker I have a client who sends me alligator hides he hunts in Geargia. He does not wear boots but did want some golf shoes. I have not made shoes before but thought it couldn't be to much tougher than boots. After asking around about patterns I just decided to make my own. Saddled with some French Calf, here they are...
/image{my picture}
jim_b

#708 Post by jim_b »

11576.jpg
jim_b

#709 Post by jim_b »

11578.jpg
jim_b

#710 Post by jim_b »

11580.jpg
hallotp
Full Name: Hallot Parson

#711 Post by hallotp »

Hi. I have only been making shoes for a few months, and I am having a tough time with carving the heels. I keep undercutting the layers. Does anyone have any advice, or is this just a issue that has to be struggled through with experience?
These are my 4th pair, and I didnt know what proportions to use for a chukka, so I sort of faked it. The tongue ended up being about 1cm too short.
I hand stitched the uppers, and made a few crooked stitches there.
Also, should the topline have a stiffener? :
11587.jpg

Thanks.
Hallot
john_woodward
Full Name: john woodward

#712 Post by john_woodward »

Stingray hide just completed...Hate to work with this hide especially with this pattern,but it was worth it.
john_woodward

#713 Post by john_woodward »

john_woodward

#714 Post by john_woodward »

Forgot the pic
11596.jpg
john_woodward

#715 Post by john_woodward »

one more of stingray
11598.jpg
luckyduck

#716 Post by luckyduck »

My latest efforts.

First, the lasts. Red oak boards laminated and made using the Koleff method.
11600.jpg

The boots. Hardke calf, 1" heels.

11601.jpg

The debut as a "dynamic presentation" of my wife wearing them at an art show. We carried a flash light to light them.
11602.jpg

The 3 things I want to do better on the next last.

1. Better high line. This one was a little low for the look I want on the boot.

2. Better transition from ball to waist to instep areas. This pair had a little swale thru the waist. She is happy with the fit and it doesn't really show on the shoe.

3. A more cupped heel bottom.

The 5 things to do better on the next pair of boots.

1. Better lasting to get the tops even and the counters tight to the top of the last.

2. More careful work to have less nicks and scrapes to fix at the end.

3. Run the welting farther back from the tread line, these ended too far forward.

4. Cleaner mounting of the sole. It sort of gaps in the arch area and I want it tight to the upper thru there.

5. Better finish work and polishing.

And things I am happy with.

Lasts:
1. They fit great. She wore them for 7 hours walking around and standing at the art show and her feet felt good.

2. The toes look just like what I planned.

3. The heel shape snaps onto her foot nicely.

Boots:

1. Stitching is getting better.

2. The overall look is what I was after.

3. They are pretty much symmetrical.

4. The heels are shaped a lot better than before. I think carving lasts really improves your heel work.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Paul
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies

#717 Post by dearbone »

A pair of wingtip in Spanish leather,Worthy enough to be worn with a kilt.
11612.jpg

Nasser Vies
HCC-Member
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#718 Post by athan_chilton »

11614.jpg

After my latest class with Marcell Mrsan I am not making shoes for awhile - just practicing hand cutting and finishing of outsoles (homework=30 pair, just quick lasted leather & concentrating on the outsole). So no embarrassingly beginner-esque shoes this time, only sandals. I figured sandals would help me with my 'homework' as they are nearly all 'outsole'! These patterns come from Tim's new sandal making book (thank you Tim!)
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies

#719 Post by dearbone »

Here is another wingtip same class as the previous one except in brown leather and a different toe motif.
11617.jpg

Nasser Vies
HCC-Member
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#720 Post by jon_g »

Been out of the action for a little while, busy converting my garage into a workshop. But I got some photos back recently and thought I'd share.

(Message edited by Jon G on September 26, 2010)
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#721 Post by jon_g »

11626.jpg
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#722 Post by paul »

Before I had my Hip Replacement Surgery 3 weeks ago, I finally finished this pair which were inspired almost 20 years ago.
They are Rough Out French Calf Full Cuts.
11641.jpg

I will continue description of them over in The Art and Mystery.

Paul
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#723 Post by romango »

My latest woman's boot. GN burnishable buffalo, antiqued with an airbrush thne brown shoe polish. Finally Prime Leather Finishes 3 part acrylic top coat.
11652.jpg
fishball
Full Name: Alexander A. W. W. Yu

#724 Post by fishball »

11668.jpg

My first pair of shoes made for my wife.

Shoemaking is fun!
fishball
Full Name: Alexander A. W. W. Yu

#725 Post by fishball »

11670.jpg