The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
headelf
Full Name: Georgene
Been Liked: 1 time

Re: The Gallery

#626 Post by headelf »

Holly,
Don't beat yourself up. These shoes look very well made. The challenges of making women's footwear include working with very thin, often finiky materials and executing the assembly so the results are professional and esthetically pleasing. The topline issues probably require pattern adjustment. Now the next challenge is to make the shoe from sheet materials where everything is not premade for assembly. That's when the bespoke shoemaking begins and boy does neatness count. You're off to a great start. Is this your first pair?

Regards,
Georgene
j_johansen
Full Name: J Johansen
Been Liked: 2 times

#627 Post by j_johansen »

This customer wanted black french calf and a stitch pattern that "had something to do with a star".
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#628 Post by paul »

J, I hope you will excuse me while I squeeze in front of you here.
11038.jpg

These are a recent finish for a Kansas Cowboy.
ROughout Waxed FC, from GH. 390 Burgandy from GN.
Don't git to do many o' these.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
j_johansen
Full Name: J Johansen
Been Liked: 2 times

#629 Post by j_johansen »

apparently the problem is with safari, the Mac browser.
11042.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#630 Post by athan_chilton »

J. Johansen, you might try using Firefox rather than Safari. I'm on a Mac & find Firefox to be more reliable than Safari.
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

#631 Post by athan_chilton »

Something silly to get me started after 2 mos. of moving and w/my work area not yet organized (sewing machine not even plugged in yet!). Still on the last, obviously, not sure what sort of sole or heel to make. Something equally silly, I expect!
11054.jpg
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#632 Post by romango »

Dance shoes. Glue construction. GN glazed buffalo uppers.
11056.jpg

11057.jpg
sorrell
Full Name: Lisa Sorrell
Been Liked: 10 times

#633 Post by sorrell »

These are boots I made a few months ago and never posted.
Burgundy Italian kangaroo from Hardtke with Peyote flower inlay on tops, Burgundy alligator from Mark Staton
11092.jpg
sorrell

#634 Post by sorrell »

Customer-inspired design of flowers, hummingbirds and dragonflies on a boot that used up the last of my Rust Italian tanned kangaroo from Hardtke. If I didn't like the boots so much I'd be very sad.
11094.jpg
sorrell

#635 Post by sorrell »

This is what happens when a customer turns me loose and says I can do anything I want. Overlaid top design in Olive Italian kangaroo from Hardtke, Chocolate Australian kangaroo from Sheridan Leather and Militaire kid from Shrut and Asch. High vamp style foot in Cognac alligator from Mark Staton.
11096.jpg
luckyduck

#636 Post by luckyduck »

Yikes, why did I have to finish these the same day Lisa posts 3 pair?

Anyway, here is my second try at western boots using DW's book. Those directions made a lot more sense after hacking thru the first pair. Image

They are Ecopell cow with veg tan liner. It is veg tan with no finish, great to work with except that any glue you slop around soaks right in.

My 3 things to work on are:
- Alignment of pieces during assembly.
- Cleaner workmanship, esp. cement and glue.
- Cleaner bottoming work.
11098.jpg

Paul
HCC Member
gshoes
Full Name: Geraldine Rabey

#637 Post by gshoes »

This is my first boot. Not my first pair of boots. Just my first boot. I made 23 little maple boot lasts to share with my leather guild for a keychain demonstration. It was refreshing that the fit will never be an issue.

(Message edited by gshoes on March 14, 2010)

gshoes
Full Name: Geraldine Rabey

#638 Post by gshoes »

11108.jpg
11109.jpg
ana_santana
Full Name: Ana Luisa Santana

#639 Post by ana_santana »

This is my first pair of oxfords. I think the proportions are odd, the sides look too high, and the lace area too short. What do you think?
Anyway, the next one will be better - and less gaudy...
11115.jpg
11116.jpg
paul

#640 Post by paul »

Hello Brothers and Sisters,

Afer a couple of weeks of life's distractions, between the last dang snow of the year (I hope) and a week of upset over surgery for my wife (she's mending well, thank you) I finally got these done.
11127.jpg

This pair of Hardtke Red Calf and Mark Staton Black Alligator boots with 13" tops, are the pair for the fellow with the flat feet I was on about over in Correcting Common Foot Problems. Again, I see now it was a better subject for the Fitting The Foot thread.
ANyway, here they are. I love what the red does to the bronze kid. The customer is a heart surgeon with two groups here in AZ as I understand it, and the Phoenix Bird image is his logo. I love the way my photographer Chris Marchetti, http://marchettiphoto.zenfolio.com/, lit the shot to illuminate the heart inlay.
11128.jpg

The flame-ish stitch pattern surronding the bird, is a three row representaion of the wings. The back panel has the entire bird image rising from the counter covers, a little play on the Phoenix Bird rising from the ashes, you know.
11129.jpg

The collars on these are intended to be a "deconstructed" heart. The scallops on the side areas of the collar are like the top of a heart and the center is to give the idea of the bottom, or tip of the heart. Just a little creativity that came to me, you know?

I didn't do an arch cookie on these, I chose to listen to DW's warning. But I do want to try that on a pair of boots for a flat foot sometime.
However I did extend the welt from Breast to Ball, in a 3/4 look, tho we don't call this that. What should we call this?
11130.jpg

The arch wrapping under the foot on the medial side is really what boots are about, to me.
11131.jpg

I deliver them tomorrow, and that'll be the real judgement on them. I'll try to remember to take a picture of how they fit and share it over in the other thread, just to close that story.

Thanks to those who contributed and those who enjoy the photos.

Best Regards,
Paul
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#641 Post by jon_g »

(Message edited by Jon G on April 02, 2010)
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#642 Post by jon_g »

A few photos of my work from Budapest
11137.jpg
11138.jpg
11139.jpg
sorrell

#643 Post by sorrell »

Well, I made it to Germany and back. We had a great time and I have my gold medal. These are the boots that I sent to the competition in Wiesbaden. The tops are gray rough-out kangaroo with kangaroo leaves, flowers and butterflies, and the foot is black Missouri calf. All of the leather is from Charles Hardtke.
11147.jpg
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#644 Post by dw »

Here's another pair from me...believe it or not I do have other boots and shoes in process besides chukkas...

Horween latigo, topy'd soles, 5/8" heels.
11166.jpg

11167.jpg

11168.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
jen
Full Name: Jen Curtis

#645 Post by jen »

This is the right ballet shoe to the first pair that I have made. Unfortunately, my photography skills need as much work as my shoemaking skills, so this is the best picture I can manage.
The shoes are entirely sewn by hand, without the use of glue or nails, and they are made from the synthetic material Lorica, and lined in organic cotton fabric.
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#646 Post by jkrichard »

11176.jpg

These were made while I was in Budapest...
11177.jpg

7-eyelit wingtip Oxford, English welt construction, hidden channel, etc etc
wfowks
Full Name: William Fowks

#647 Post by wfowks »

Well, after 4 or 5 months of teaching myself boot making and 9 right feet, finally a pair. Thank you Crispian Colloquy, Custom cowboy Boot and Shoe Discussion Board numerous books etc,. for all the help. I give myself a C- on the boots and a B on the fit. Not too bad for the first pair. Nothing fancy here, just wanted to get a pair that works and they do. All you guys, and Lisa S., are an inspiration. Lisa, I live in Joplin, Mo. and would love to visit you in your shop.

Bill

oversize photos deleted by admin

(Message edited by admin on April 15, 2010)
wfowks
Full Name: William Fowks

#648 Post by wfowks »

Sorry about the size.
11196.jpg
11197.jpg
paul

#649 Post by paul »

Here's something a little different from me.

These Romeos are made of Hockhauser Taurus Oxidado.

Only one pair thrown in the corner before I got a keeper.
11199.jpg
11200.jpg
mack
Full Name: Jim McCormack

#650 Post by mack »

11202.jpg

Recently finished job.I post these because there was a chat about working with suede recently.These were made with plastic covers which are removed after making.