The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
athan_chilton
Full Name: Athan Chilton

Re: The Gallery

#551 Post by athan_chilton »

Beginner stuff...posted to encourage those who, like me, are at the start of this complex and amazing journey.

#1 shows my first attempt at lasting using nails (as Marcell taught me) though I confess that I also put the last on a jack instead of hammering all those nails on my lap). This is also my first attempt at patterning/making even a fitter for anything but a simple derby; this is a low heel women's classic pointed toe last.

#2 shows the end result of lasted lining. Upper will be brown bison. If this fitter turns out well, I will buy some pretty (perhaps even wild) leather to make these shoes with. Metallic turquoise, perhaps, or purple!

Beginners, don't be surprised if you feel downright nervous or next door to scared when you tackle this stuff at home--even if you have had the benefit of a great teacher. There's still nothing like taking the tools in your hand and actually *doing it yourself*. I've felt scared every step of the way, but that only makes me feel better--when I do it right. One step at a time. I might never make it to the pro leagues--DW, Lisa, Marcell, Nasser, all the rest of the remarkable artisans whose work I have admired here. But it comforts me to remember that all of you had to do it this way--one step at a time--trusting to your instructor's words and your own good hands!
athan_chilton

#552 Post by athan_chilton »

Oops--it would help if I got the photos posted along with text... sheesh.

/image{lasting-w-nails#1}
/image{lasting-w-nails#2}
athan_chilton

#553 Post by athan_chilton »

10517.jpg
10518.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#554 Post by romango »

Just finished these whole cuts. GN glazed buffalo, French edge (I think that's what it's called), fiddle back bottom.

Still not the clean look I want on outsole stitching, channel and bottom but I'm learning...
10520.jpg

10521.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bootmkr
Full Name: Lonnie Smith

#555 Post by bootmkr »

I'm going to try this again.

Here my latest boots.

10523.jpg

Lonnie
bootmkr

#556 Post by bootmkr »

I just finished these boots.
Astrich and Kid skin.

10525.jpg
bootmkr

#557 Post by bootmkr »

SORRY........ for the very large pic.
Still trying to work out the bugs.

Lonnie
marcell

#558 Post by marcell »

My latest creation. Sorry fot the picture quality.

A "casual" oxford, - French boxcalf, very thick lining, English welt, 7 spi (still not 64 - sorry, I must improve my skills Image ), double sole,

(Message edited by marcell on December 03, 2009)
marcell

#559 Post by marcell »

10529.jpg
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#560 Post by jkrichard »

10531.jpg
10532.jpg

Men's tri-colored derby with more hand brogueing than allowable by law. The bottom finish and stain is close to where I want it to be...but not quite. This was after wearing the shoes for a few hours this morning. Two rows of stitching on a 3/4 welt. This makes for the first handmade bottom welt---hard rolled horse butt.

(Message edited by JKRichard on December 04, 2009)
bootmkr

#561 Post by bootmkr »

And here another pair.

10536.jpg

Lonnie
bootmkr

#562 Post by bootmkr »

I'll try again, Here is a pair I finished awhile back.

10538.jpg

Lonnie
marcell

#563 Post by marcell »

My chukkas. My heart was broken, when I attached the thin rubber sole on them. I didn't became a shoemaker to hide the beautiful leather.. [img]http://www.thehcc.org/forum/images/old_smilies/sad.gif"%20ALT="sad[/img]

(Message edited by Marcell on December 07, 2009)
marcell

#564 Post by marcell »

10560.jpg
10561.jpg
romango

#565 Post by romango »

I've made here a pair of Huarache running sandals. This type of sandal is worn by the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico. The Tarahumara are legendary for their running prowess as described in the book "Born To Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall.

A guy that call himself Barefoot Ted sells various versions of this sandal on his web site but I thought I could improve on the design a bit.

In particular, I wanted a footbed of insole shoulder because of it's moisture absorbing characteristics and because it tends to mold to your feet, over time. Also, I didn't want straps coming out under the sandal.

So I split some Stevenson-Paxton insole shoulder down to about a 5 iron glassed it and brushed it with hot tallow. I ran the latigo straps through holes in the insole and then glued on a 5 iron, rubbery, Vibram.

They took about 2 hours to make but hey, it was my first pair. Think what I could do with a clicker!

Eugene, Oregon (where I live) is known as Track Town USA. You can bet a lot of the runners here have read the Born To Run book. Maybe I'll show up at the next marathon with a box full of Huaraches (or not Image )

romango

#566 Post by romango »

I've made here a pair of Huarache running sandals. This type of sandal is worn by the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico. The Tarahumara are legendary for their running prowess as described in the book "Born To Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen" by Christopher McDougall.

A guy that call himself Barefoot Ted sells various versions of this sandal on his web site but I thought I could improve on the design a bit.

In particular, I wanted a footbed of insole shoulder because of it's moisture absorbing characteristics and because it tends to mold to your feet, over time. Also, I didn't want straps coming out under the sandal.

So I split some Stevenson-Paxton insole shoulder down to about a 5 iron glassed it and brushed it with hot tallow. I ran the latigo straps through holes in the insole and then glued on a 5 iron, rubbery, Vibram.

They took about 2 hours to make but hey, it was my first pair. Think what I could do with a clicker!

Eugene, Oregon (where I live) is known as Track Town USA. You can bet a lot of the runners here have read the Born To Run book. Maybe I'll show up at the next marathon with a box full of Huaraches (or not Image )
10570.jpg

10571.jpg

10572.jpg
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#567 Post by jon_g »

10581.jpg

My latest handsewn work, made from shrunken shoulder, it was really nice to work with.
10582.jpg

An unusual design, it was my customers request and proved to be a very economical way to cut.
ana_santana
Full Name: Ana Luisa Santana

#568 Post by ana_santana »

I made this for a design student, Andrea Kanter, as a volume project. She intends to wear it on New Years eve, with a white ribbon. Since is her design, I didn't sign the shoe. Should I?

Anyway, I got the insole, ok. I hope I manage to get a decent sole this time...Image
10584.jpg
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#569 Post by dw »

Just finished these...one inch heel. Also a photo of the bottom--closer!
10590.jpg

10591.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#570 Post by paul »

Here are my first Alligators.

Skin from Mark Staton, and wide enough to get two vamps, side by side from the "arm pit" area.

The top panels have small diamond shapes of gator and alternating with the Kangaroo, and intended to give the illusion of argyle socks. They're for the same gent as the Mission style Tiffany lamp shade looking boots I posted a couple months ago. Both were his own designs.

I call these Argyle Alligators.
10593.jpg
mmboots

#571 Post by mmboots »

It's been awhile,since I posted any boots. Here's a second pair that I did for the same customer. The frist pair which was the frist overlay I did on the vamp got burned up in a pickup fire. So he asked me to make him other pair. There red water buffalo tops and black burnishable vamps, 2" heel with a round toe.

Mike

10597.jpg
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

#572 Post by jkrichard »

Okay, let's see if I can do this without blowing up the whole screen...
10612.jpg
10613.jpg
10614.jpg

American saddle oxford, decorative brogueing, navy kip, cordovan (colored) kip.

The soles have already seen a couple hours of wear. Image

-Jeff
Member, HCC
mmboots

#573 Post by mmboots »

Here's a couple more pair of my boots which I finished a while back but didn't get on the Gallery until now. The first one is a full quill ost, with a green water buffallo top with ost overlay and inlays. This boot was built on a 1949 western boot last. The second pair is amber shark foot with a wine colored water buffalo top with yellow top and side bead, 2" heel with a wide round toe.

Mike

\image {boot}

\image {boot}
mmboots

#574 Post by mmboots »

Here's a couple more pair of my boots which I finished a while back but didn't get on the Gallery until now. The first one is a full quill ost, with a green water buffallo top with ost overlay and inlays. This boot was built on a 1949 western boot last. The second pair is amber shark foot with a wine colored water buffalo top with yellow top and side bead, 2" heel with a wide round toe.

Mike
10630.jpg

10631.jpg
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#575 Post by paul »

10633.jpg

I finished these a few weeks ago. They are a three piece, or Triad style as it is sometimes called. The forest green calf is from Stevenson Paxton. The tooling leather vamps, collars, and heel foxings have been dyed with Fiebiengs British Tan. There is also a red stitch scroll design, to enhance the "red and green" look, the customer was after.

There's not alot written about the patterning differences for this style, so per DW's reguest, with whom I have consulted somewhat on this, I have done up some pictures and comments of the "How I".
(You'll remember I don't really do "How To's)

If there is any interest, I'll post it over in the Pattern Making topic.

In the mean time, Image

Paul