The Gallery

This is a photo gallery for members of the forum. Here you can share photos of your latest work for members to view. Like an Art gallery, however, where the exhibits come and go, photos will be deleted on a regular basis to save room on the server. Beauty, like Art, is fleeting.
proxy_posting
Full Name: proxy posting
Been Liked: 5 times

Re: The Gallery

#126 Post by proxy_posting »

For Jesse Lee Cantrell:

soles showing pegging, front and back top showing lining
5157.jpg

5158.jpg

5159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shoestring

#127 Post by shoestring »

5163.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shoestring

#128 Post by shoestring »

5165.jpg

Ok,

Here is a couple of shots of the first"Derbys"I have made.I used Buffalo from Garlin,there is a second pair in the oven.I owe thanks to the Colloquy members for guiding me with the correct answers to my many questions.Critcisms are welcome.

Ed

(Message edited by shoestring on July 03, 2007)
firefly

#129 Post by firefly »

Well Ed,

I don't know if a critique is in order. That is a good lookin' toe on those derbys.

I do have one question...How do you find anything in that shop? Image

Good job,

Mark
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#130 Post by dw »

Ed,

Nice looking shoes. Mark called them a derby...? Looking closely, I guess that's right, but I almost think they are more like a saddle shoe?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
shoestring

#131 Post by shoestring »

Mark,
The toe was done coping the way DW demonstrated his wiping method not quit there but working on it.As for the clutter it grows on ya I do clean up once and a while that's when things are hard to find.

DW,
They are a Derby style,when I first saw them I said Saddle.But according to Koleff it's a derby,that's where I got the pattern.And thanks to you both for the nice remarks.

Ed
firefly

#132 Post by firefly »

I guess I had always assumed that the Balmorals were stylized by only the slit in the vamp. Which was refered to as the "Oxford". The shoe with the two piece construction as Ed's shoe would be known as the Blucher or the "Derby" shoe.

I think we refer to most all shoes here that are lace ups as "Oxfords" ie "Saddle Oxfords" which are really Bluchers or Derby shoes.

I'm not really sure as I failed high school history. So don't take my word for it. I do know that Churches charges a lot for them no matter what you call them.

Maybe Lt. Saguto will weigh in on this one.

Thanks,

Mark
shoestring

#133 Post by shoestring »

Here's the take I've read and observed.Studying what Koleff had in his book all the stitching on top of the vamp were considered "Derby's" and those stitched under the vamp were called "Oxfords".And when looking through the book"Handmade Shoes for Men" that's how they are presented.And in the "Pattern Makers" book the same thing,Blucher/Derby.

Ed
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#134 Post by lancepryor »

I think part of the confusion is an
America vs. UK thing. In the UK, the oxford is as
Ed describes it, and the shoes with the separate facings are derbies/bluchers or, per John Lobb St. James, "navvy cut."

In the USA, many people refer to any lace up shoe as an oxford and distinguish between 'balmoral oxfords'--the simple split vamp -- and 'blucher/derby (oxfords)' -- with the separate facings.
jenny_fleishman
Full Name: Jenny Fleishman
Been Liked: 2 times

#135 Post by jenny_fleishman »

Ed, I am glad to see someone else uses the same organizational system as I do!
5167.jpg

Jenny
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#136 Post by romango »

Just returned from DW's 3 week course in Western Packers. Wow, what an experience. I feel much more confident in my capabilities now. Thanks DW!!!
Here they are:
5171.jpg

5172.jpg

Action shot!
5173.jpg
mrs_hill

#137 Post by mrs_hill »

Paul & Tim,

I wanted to show you the finished result of the billet replacement that you both helped me with. \image {billet}

and here is the origional,
\image {origional}
I am not sure how these pictures will turn out. But thank you for your patience and unmeasurable help! I know I am pretty green at all this, but I hope to someday be able to post some beautiful shoes.
mrs_hill

#138 Post by mrs_hill »

I need to try again on my pictures--sorry...

origional:

and the new one:
mrs_hill

#139 Post by mrs_hill »

I need to try again on my pictures--sorry...

origional:
5189.jpg

and the new one:
5190.jpg
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#140 Post by paul »

Dear Brothers of the Full Cut,

Here they are! Good Grief! I bet you wondered if I had to start all over again. But, no. I just had lots of different stuff to do. I'll post a couple more pair later.

So this is the pair I just made, along side of the pair brought to me by my customer. These were his wife's GreatGrandFather's. They have a picture of him wearing these dated 1906. I may have already told you about that part. And just for fun, here's a picture of my customer.
5193.jpg

And then this one last shot. I'll give myself a B+, just because I had to choose three of many different things to focus on to do better at next time. If you know what I mean.
5194.jpg
paul

#141 Post by paul »

Opps!
Sorry that one was soo big.

Can Emmett fix that?

Here's a better size.
5196.jpg
paul

#142 Post by paul »

Glad you like 'em!

Here's another pair I just finished using a technique I learned from DW. Fabric Pulls.
5198.jpg

These were to reproduce a pair of little old Acme's for Alice. She's in her seventies and this is her second pair from me. She's just so dern cute!
The tops are milled carving leather from WC, swivel cut and speed beveled. The foot is GH French Calf.
5199.jpg

PK
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#143 Post by romango »

Here are a pair of "dance boots" I just finished. This project was a customer concept. A marriage between a dance shoe, with thin suede sole, and an ankle boot. The rainbow design was her request. When I positioned it I didn't take into account the counter stitching. So it could have been positioned better. Oh well, next time Image

The heels are wood, covered with leather. The leather is cow calf from Garlin Neumann. I used the Western Packer pattern design, form DW's book. This worked very well. The last was made by a cast of the customer's foot, as mentioned in previous post.
5297.jpg

5298.jpg

(Message edited by romango on August 09, 2007)

(Message edited by romango on August 09, 2007)
proxy_posting
Full Name: proxy posting
Been Liked: 5 times

#144 Post by proxy_posting »

The boots are 1860's but I took period artistic licence on the soles. 13 pegs to the inch double at the arch, single for the rest at 7-8 to the inch. The stamping was done with the tools I made (posted) from the square iron nails retrieved from the ghost town in NM.

These are the type of boots which would have been worn by a Southern gentleman, perhaps someone elected as an officer for the cavalry.

JesseLee
5319.jpg

5320.jpg
chuck_deats

#145 Post by chuck_deats »

5326.jpg

Pair #7- 2nd pair of 4 piece- vamps from "scraps" of 2 piece- Garlin buffalo tops.
First beaded side welt and pulls. (more care needed here, strip welts much easier).
First toe bug (copy DW instead of developing my own, almost too far down).
First midliner (really like the effect).
First multi-row top stitching (even greater respect for those who stitch tops).
Star from street sign in Cisco, Texas.
Flowers are a poor copy of Lee Miller's tulips. (you can almost smell Lee's tulips).
Solved heel gripping the wood problem by flaring the counter and vamp at the insole per DW's instructions. (straight down before, much better fit).
My list says there are 33 things that need improvement, will keep trying.

Chuck
bill_harris
Full Name: William O. Harris

#146 Post by bill_harris »

These pictures are of the 6th pair of boots that I have made over a 25 year period. The lasts are J & V TLW 0406.

I call this a "Eastern" boot.

Patterns were made using H.J. Patrick's book.

Learned a lot.

Have a long way to go with my sewing
5422.jpg

5423.jpg

5424.jpg

5425.jpg

This is my first try at posting pictures on the internet.

Bill Harris
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#147 Post by dw »

Haven't posted anything here in a while. Here's a photo that was taken in RAW format and processed for white balance and such.

This is the pair that was donated to the High Desert Museum and auctioned at $4500 for a plain, basic boot and then the customer added the initials and the alligator. The customer specifically requested Times New Roman for the initials, BTW.
5429.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
lancepryor

#148 Post by lancepryor »

This is the first pic of one of my shoes.

This is a shoe that I'm almost finished with -- it is made of a blue (!) boarskin, which I picked up cheap to practice with. The skin is actually nice to learn with, since it is very supple and thus is easy to last around the heel and toe.

The last is a slight chisel-toe shape that was very generously made for me by a lastmaker in London.

The outsole was hand-stitched at 10 spi with a square awl and linen thread.

No brogueing or gimping on this shoe, since I don't yet have those tools.

feedback is welcome.
5461.jpg

5462.jpg
lancepryor

#149 Post by lancepryor »

Here are images of the soles, unfinished and almost finished -- I still need to add brass nails to the heel. The bottom finish is mediocre -- that is one of many things I need to improve upon.
5464.jpg

5465.jpg
shoestring

#150 Post by shoestring »

5484.jpg

This is the pair I had trouble inseaming.They are also made from Buffalo from Garlin.Practice is starting to pay off.They were designed using the geometric method,since these are a test pair the toe cap was omitted.I will use a cap on the next pair trying my hand at broughing next.

Ed