The Registry

Introducing...
tammira

Re: The Registry

#51 Post by tammira »

Hello All,

My name is Tammy R. Clammer. I'm 39 and live in Seattle, WA.
I have two wonderful sons, a goofy dog, and a patient, understanding boyfriend. I have extremely diverse interests that I pursue with zeal. Luckily my family has become accustomed to this... tomorrow I'll start an intro. to blacksmithing class : )

I discovered this guild quite by accident, but immediately registered once I realized it's exactly what I've been searching for. I am not yet a Cordwainer. In fact, I am a very new leathercrafter, with a mere 15 months' experience. I am self-taught from Valerie Michael's 'The Leatherworking Handbook', although I work primarily with oil tanned leather.

I seem to have not only a passion but also an aptitude for creating handsewn leather goods that appeal to others-- to my astonishment, I have already sold several handbags, two custom knife sheaths and a tool belt, all of my own design. I recently moved my workshop from the front room of our house to a rental space for artists, hobbyists, and small businesses. With the additional space and a quiet place to concentrate, the possibilities seem almost endless, if limited by my stubborness to make only handsewn goods, using hand tools.

Initially I became interested in leathercrafting because I wanted to make my own pair of boots. I had completely forgotten this until seeing a pair of dragoon boots made by Sarah Juniper in a friend's Livejournal post a few days ago. This reminder is how I discovered the HCC today.

While it hasn't been easy to find other leathercrafters, it has been nearly impossible to find cordwainers. As a matter of fact, until today I did not know this was the correct term; you can imagine how many recipes for Peach Cobbler I found instead...

I have much to learn! There is so much knowledge and inspiration to gather and to share within this community that I am certain I've found the right place.
shoerepairer

#52 Post by shoerepairer »

What a great site!

My Name is Lee Ffrench & I run the shoerepairer.info forum web site and here is my story

Back in January 2005 I spent some time on another forum for an unrelated subject. And I thought “I wonder if there is a site like this for shoe repairers. I spent some time searching and although I found sites similar to this there where few dedicated to shoe repairing.
I upgraded my hosting account to allow PHP coding in April 2005 and the initial concept was born.
I had quite a few complications to start with getting it all to work (due to my limited programming experience) but spent 2 months getting the site working correctly.
Then on the 1st July UK publication “Cutting edge magazine” kindly printed an article to officially launch the site & I was extremely relieved to see the first registered member!
The site has rapidly grown since its launch and is fast becoming a very credible source of information for the trade as the data base and membership is growing.
I myself have already made many new friends through out the trade, making my one man band feel far less lonely! And making it all very worth the effort.
If you want a look you can find it at shoerepairer.info

Lee Ffrench - webmaster/administration
guy_shannon

#53 Post by guy_shannon »

Hello everyone.

My name is Guy Shannon and I have been lurking for a while now and occasionally come out of hiding to type a coupla words and then put my head back into the sand . It's what lurkers do......I think there's a rule about it.

My 15 year old daughter told me it's called "creeping" Dad and you don't want to be a creep do you?.... Kids!

Anyway I have been working in the trade from the shoe repair side since 1985. I was hired by a shoe repair in Prince Albert Saskatchewan through a student employment job oppertunity and apprenticed under the owner for a couple of years.

My parents wanted something more for me so while I was doing that I was also becoming a E.M.T. with the local ambulance company then I went into the hospital for about 8 years as an orderly. still working casually for the owner of the shoe repair.

Long storey short My Brother died of a long battle with cancer and I went back to shoes.

I now live in Calgary Canada working for The Alberta Boot Company we make aproximatly 40 pair of boots a day . We do the R.C.M.P. High Brown boots and thier Congress boots. We also do movie boots for the companies shooting in the area. Last 2 movies were BrokeBack Mountain and the to be released Brad Pitt movie about Jessie James.

I originally moved out here to work for a shoe repair company that promised way more than they delivered......Long hours poor pay family suffers etc,etc.

I am looking at buying a shop very soon and doing custom boots from it I do about a pair a year on the side for friends and now I have a waiting list of about 15 people who want me to get going with it.

This is getting a little disjointed as I ramble on but I have been married for 18 years this December to Michelle the person who keeps me real 2 daughters Shona 15 and Meghan 9.
I am a Scout leader and a member of The Christian Motorcyclists Association. We have 3 cats mixed breeding 1 dog Samoyed and 1 hourse Standard Breed.

Please accept my appologise for my spelling

Guy Shannon
j1a2g3

#54 Post by j1a2g3 »

My name is Joel. I was a chef in a fine dining restaurant for 20 years. Now I work for a company that caterers to corporate dining. I work Monday thru Friday 6am to 2pm which gives me the time to try and make a living as a bootmaker. I'm far from being even close to that.

I took a 1 week course in shoe making at the ShoeSchool outside Seattle about 3 months ago and have been trying to make a boot I would actually wear.
kaspar
Full Name: Kaspar
Been Liked: 2 times

#55 Post by kaspar »

Hi.
My name is Kaspar Paas and I am a 24 y. old student from Estonia. I study graphic design on a 3`rd course and started to practice handmade shoe making on my own about some 3 y. ago, when urgent wish came to make myself a pair of shoes. Since then It has been an addiction and a hobby that is taking over. Hoping to graduate this spring then I can give more attention to the shoe making.
Enjoying this great craft and hope to gain more info from here and hopefully be able to help other fellow members.

Kind regards
Kaspar Paas
sorcha
Full Name: Sorcha Keepers

#56 Post by sorcha »

Hello,

My name is Sorcha Keepers. I'm 40 years old and married (at least in Canada and several progressive European countries.) My wife and I are in the research and development stages of starting our own business making soft-soled comfort walking shoes based on early European 'bag' shoes and Medieval turn shoe designs. I'm adapting the designs to be able to machine sew them and am interested in studying/talking with any moccasin makers out there and any folks who make Renaissance Festival boots (you know the side button boots.) We'll have sporrans and bags and will specialize in custom fitting and working with fine game leather like elk, moose and buffalo. That's the plan at least.

I've spent a lot of time on Marc Carlson's website and have Sharon Raymond's book. I emersed myself in the Bata shoe museaum and University of Toronto library when my wife and I lived in Toronto last year. I made my first pair of center seam mocs at the age of 9 out of George White's 'Craft Manual of North American Footwear' and have recently started making Anglo-Scandiavian center seam moccasins that are very similar to the first pair I ever made(but they fit much better.)

I have done leatherworking as a hobby for 20 years from making drums, wallets, bags, purses, hats, mittens, sheilds,leather tooling and making historical reenactment gear like bracers. I started making moccasins in college. I realized what I was doing had great potential when I sewed a pair of size 8 women's 5E wide turn shoes for my wife and they were her most comfortable pair of shoes and she wore them everyday.

Happy shoemaking,

Sorcha Keepers
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#57 Post by admin »

In the past we haven't commented on new members who post personal info in the Registry. I think that was a mistake. The only rationale is that in the beginning The Registry was really the only place you could leave a record of yourself. But with later editions of the forum software, members can also create a bio in their profile which is instantly available to all members simply by clicking on the username at the top of all posts.

So I want to initiate new policy and encourage all members to join me in welcoming new members...especially Sorcha, Kaspar, and Joel who have registered in the last week or so.

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy...don't be shy! Image

Yr. Hmb. Svt...

Emmett
rocketman

#58 Post by rocketman »

Hello, My name is Lyle Davis and I live in the US on the east coast of Florida. I'm married and have one daughter. I'm a rocket scientist (structural engineer, yes on rockets) for my day job. I have absolutely no experience in boot or shoe making but have a strong desire to learn how to make shoes and boots. I'm really mostly interested in the fashion side of shoes rather than the western boot world but am savvy enough to realize that western boots are really the only ones that fit well. Unfortunately, my wife will not allow me to wear western boots so I hope to integrate the western fit and construction techniques with more of the Italian or English styles.
I have a pretty good background in machine and tool design and have been playing with building a “simple” 3 ½ axis copy lathe that will allow me to more easily make lasts or possibly heels or even a wooden shoe for my wife. So far, I have gotten the one to one copy down well and am now integrating the left to right or vice versa ability into the machine. I hope to have a prototype finished by early January. I'll post more under tools to make.
I have been lurking on the site for a few months now and guess I should finally register. I see a great deal of experience here along with an international flavor. I have worked in a few different countries so far and have traveled extensively, so I really appreciate the world community as a whole. I hope to take a shoe class in England in the future but going to the moon is keeping me somewhat loaded for now. I am looking forward to working with everyone.
Hoping to learn more and somehow help in the future,

Lyle
admin
Site Admin

#59 Post by admin »

Lyle,

Welcome. Glad to have a rocket scientist on board. Rest assured, though, that this forum is not limited to cowboy boots but instead is devoted to the history, the techniques, and the diversity of footwear--shoes and boots.

Enjoy....
tomo

#60 Post by tomo »

Hey ya Lyle,
I'm so glad you don't need to be a 'Rocket Scientist' to make boots or shoes or I'd be well and truly screwedImage.
It's interesting though that so many of us are from a variety of backgrounds and everyone has some way to comtribute or draw on their experience.
Good luck with the lathe, several of us here have or do dabble in wood turning so it's all good.
More power to y'awl
T.
bbrooks107

#61 Post by bbrooks107 »

Hi and Happy New Year!

I attempted to post here earlier but I suppose I took too much time and I lost my previous post. I will attempt to do better this time.

My name is Bryan and I live in the Denver, Colorado area. I stumbled on this website a little while ago while looking for information regarding shoe lasts. I was then referred to the site by Bill Tippit Sr. when I spoke with him on the phone recently.

My primary interest is in making footwear for myself. I developed an interest in theater which later became an interest in performing. I perform with a group that does Gilbert and Sullivan light opera, so a lot of the costume pieces I wear are from the Victorian era so I have a particular interest in footwear from the period.

I spent a couple days checking the website out to get familiar with its content and I feel like I just hit the jackpot.

I am looking forward to learning more about shoe and boot making. I will thank you all in advance for the time and knowledge you share which I no doubt will benefit from.

Thank you,

Bryan
admin
Site Admin

#62 Post by admin »

Welcome Bryon!

If you wait long enough and are persistant enough, some of the real history trolls will emerge and you'll find out more about Victorian footwear than you ever bargained for.

Of course I've always felt that the Victorian era was the high point of bespoke footwear...or if not, the point where it all started to go to the dogs. It is well to remember that the Victorian Age also included that period of time when western (cowboy) boots were first emerging as a distinctive style.

Anyway, glad to have you aboard...don't hesitate to ask questions (and don't feel bad if you don't get an immediate answer)...and if you have any problems or questions with the way the board functions, just let me know.

Yr. Hmb. Svt.
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#63 Post by jesselee »

Greetings All. I'm Jesse Lee Cantrell, in the neighborhood of early 50's. Been making boots since an apprentice at age 10 during the CW Centennial. I'm strictly old school, by hand, crank or treadle. My interest/specialty is cowboy boots from 1860-1890. I do some all hand stitched (tiny stitches too) and will have a pair finished with making and finished boot pics to show. My machine is a singer 29K-2 (not presently working, she was last week!!!!)And my favorite is the Bradbury A1 stitcher. Just bought one from England. She's pitted and well worn, but I'll give life back to her. Dream machine is a treadle McKay, so if ya gots one, I would be interested. or a Bradbury or parts!
I never done fancy work like I've been blessed with, seeing on here. But i could because I was also trained as a bookbinder in the traditional manner.
I make lasts, pegs, wax leather, make crimping boards and irons, tools etc. it's all a BIG love to me and my primary interest. i think I invented a new last configuration for shoes and boots and straight lasts. I say this cuz I have never seen such before. I'll post pics when my demos are finished.
Currently re-inventing the pegging machine and have created my mechanism and design. It can also convert to a McKay type stitcher.
I only make 'one off's' of 1800's boots and shoes, by copying examples or pictures. Soles are hand stitched blind or pegged. Only my old machines for stitching or do it by hand. I only use cotton or linen threads or cords.
By the way, 64 to the inch is possible. Tho i think impracticalImage
I have gone bug eyed reading every post on this site in the last 48 hours. Hope to meet a bunch of y'all when I do my summer cross country trip.

Jesse Lee
admin
Site Admin

#64 Post by admin »

Jesse Lee,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy.

There are a few of us who, directly or indirectly, have a special place in our hearts for 19th century (or even earlier) boots and shoes. Personally, I think that you'd be hard pressed to name another time in history when the making skills were so high, leather was so valued, and all combined with a fairly robust understanding of feet and how to fit them. I know some of the lady's work from earlier was almost unrivaled but men's work from the time don't seem at the same level.

Have you done 64spi? If so I would really be interested in step-by-step (maybe a photo essay?) description of how you did it.

Anyway, we look forward to hearing from you and seeing some photos of your work.

Enjoy...
firefly

#65 Post by firefly »

Jesse Lee,

I am really looking forward to hearing what you have to say and seeing some of your work.

You sound like a good ol' Southern boy. What are you doing up there on the northern border?

If you do get a chance to wander down as far south as Texas I would sure love to spend some time discussing boots with you.

Thanks,

Mark
jesselee
Full Name: Jesse Lee Cantrell

#66 Post by jesselee »

Hey Mark. Thganks for the reply. I'll be headin to South Texas this year. bringing my old equipment and all. Planning to settle down that way (Home, if you catch my drift). I had the boot bug since I was smaller than a cornstalk during a drought! I don't know how to post pics here, but been sending some to DW. Hope he ain't put out. I'd love to visit and talk the Trade and share some techniques. This is my planned travelling year to meet bootmakers and go to the museums.

I come up here to the 'north' cuz my band lives here.. they are Southern sympathisers, so it's ok.

What styles do you make, interested in etc. I don't think there is much about the 1800's styles and techniques that I have not put a paw on.

Regards,
JesseLee

ps- feel free to email me anytime on this subject, jesseleecantrell@yahoo.com
kadwart
Full Name: susan collard

#67 Post by kadwart »

Hello Everyone out there - just thought I would do a quick introduction. I have just joined this board and know less than nothing when it comes to shoe and bootmaking, but I plan to learn, mostly because I have decided that now I am on the downhill slope of middle age I should have fun in what I do.

Truth to tell, you can really blame my presence here on Sharon Raymond (I would insert a smiley face emoticon here if I had one, just to let you know I am joking) - if only she hadn't had that picture of lasted mocs on her web site - not only lasted mocs but RED lasted mocs... And I have had a love affair with mocs since I was small and I would steal the kits my mother had sent to her and sew them up (with the truly larcenous intent only seven year olds have.)

In truly optimistic fashion, I am expecting your collective wisdom to see me through the process of acquiring shoe knowledge and foot wisdom, not to put you under any undue obligation or stress of course...

Outside of my current involvement with leather, I have worked as a tutor in distance education, done a bit of research, worked in production guitar building for a couple of years, spent a deathly time logging photocopier use for one project where I did a lot of lace knitting, was a Director of a small local animal welfare group for a couple of years, and a few other things besides.

I have one teeneaged son, a cat, a house rabbit, and a loving partner who puts up with my obsessions, and live on the west coast of Canada just outside of Vancouver. My own theory as to why I am here... well, long ago I had a supervisor who told me I had a bad habit of pulling defeet from the jaws of victory. Thought it was time I lived up to his expectations... (oh yes, did I mention my really bad sense of humour?) And my friends call me Sue...
admin
Site Admin

#68 Post by admin »

Susan,

There was a pair of mocs posted in the Gallery a couple of days ago. There aren't many discussions that involve moccassins, but mocs are just another form of footwear...and "all roads lead to Rome," so to speak.

Enjoy, ask questions and don't be a ghost. Image

Emmett
kadwart
Full Name: susan collard

#69 Post by kadwart »

Hey Emmett and all - thanks for the welcome. And to put your collective boot/shoemaking minds at rest, while my journey of a thousand miles might start in a moc, there's no guarantee it will end in one Image Sue.
bcb
Full Name: Blake Sladek

#70 Post by bcb »

I've been a ghost for years, time to come out of the attic. My name is Blake Sladek. I live in
Stratford Texas, in the northern most part of the Texas panhandle.
I married my best friend Marie at the young age of 22 and quickly started a family. We have 2 daughters and a son whom we are very proud of
(most of the time). I also have a 2 1/2 year old
grand daughter Blakelee who under her own accord
has become the "shop foreman"; ask the dogs.
Upon graduating from high school in 1976 I attended T.S.T.I. in Amarillo Tx.; in the saddle making program. No money so I went to work at several differnt cattle feeding operations trying to save enough to buy the needed equipment. I went back to T.S.T.I. in 1986 to the boot making school. Graduated in March of "88" the program closed in June.
My wife and I opened Beaver Creek Boot & Saddle Shop in 1988. With a young family we struggled to keep the doors open. In 1996 I was offered the night position at a local cattle feeding operation working 15 nights on and 15 nights off, how hard could it be? We were the ones to sue Oprah. Our shop has since been moved to a building behind our home.
Our proudest moment as far as the business is concerned came last Nov. when we won the "Novice" category at the Panhandle Leather Show in Amarillo Tx.
Wear your boots like you live; so go big or go home.
admin
Site Admin

#71 Post by admin »

Blake,

I guess when you went through Texas Tech, Ted Truelove was the instructor. I never met him but I had heard good thing about him and the students he turned out.

I hope you will be a regular contributor and will enjoy the members and the discussions here.

Emmett
bcb
Full Name: Blake Sladek

#72 Post by bcb »

Admin,

Ted was the boot making instructor when I was in the saddle making program. He retired before I went back to the boot making program. Ted would drop in on occations; it was a real treat. Dennis Cottle and Dave Mckinney were instructors from Ted's retirement until closing. I did buy Mr. Truelove's 31 15 when he started selling off his equipment. He said he bought it new back in the 30's; it was set up on a treddle. I can't imagine trying to sew tops on that set up.

Thanks for the welcome.
artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme
Been Liked: 2 times

#73 Post by artzend »

G'day,

I was a shoemaker in Far North Queensland and Adelaide in South Australia for 25 years and I taught shoemaking for about 11 years.

I knew that there was a lack of information in the footwear schools about how to actually make shoes, a problem I had encountered when I did my training at Cordwainers Technical College in London.

I set about writing that book about 10 years ago and have finally finished it. The book is called "Bespoke Shoemaking, A Comprehensive Guide to Handmade Footwear" and on it's website http://www.shoemakingbook.com there is much more information, about me too.

If I can help with anything you can always email me.

Tim
admin
Site Admin

#74 Post by admin »

Tim,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. Good to have you aboard!

Having written several books, myself, I know something of the dedication, perserverence, and time and energy that it takes. Sometimes I think it is a little like having children--if we knew what was involved and what it would cost us, we wouldn't even start. Image

I hope you will be a regular contributor and that if you have any questions you won't hesitate to ask.

Emmett
dmcharg
Full Name: Duncan McHarg
Been Liked: 21 times

#75 Post by dmcharg »

G'day Tim,
Good to see another Aussie on board.

Sorry to everyone for being so quiet for some time now. I'm getting very little time for the forum at the moment. Just enough to look at a couple of topics once every week or two.

*But*, keep up the good work everyone.

Cheers
Duncan