The Registry

Introducing...
jhstewart
Full Name: Jenny Stewart

Re: The Registry

#151 Post by jhstewart »

Hi Sean & Nasser
thank you for writing. Thank You Nasser, but my father is actually alive and well, he's just off in his own chosen world, of which we shall not speak here. Sean, you and anyone are very welcome to visit if you are in NS, or if you can't make it to my area I'll heh heh tell you where to go.... The General's place is just a littl further down my own road, actually. I thought that was where the Southern couple with the horses and the lady who SO loved chocolate pie lived. Things you learn in the village cafe.
http://www.bearriver.ca/introduction.htm I get to Cape Breton 2-3-4 times a year, my best friend lives in Howie Centre near Sydney, I do show up there, and we also go to Louisbourg to play in the 18th c. My Aunt in NB has some shoe buttons (and parasol handles frames!) she'll give me when I'm there next; i've been collecting other suitable buttons for practice in the meantime, and I have button hooks. I have more big paying jobs lined up this Jan & Feb than ever before, which is good, but this used to be my own R&D & Play Project time. I did put a pic of one shoe on my profile page, a style typical in the 1750's, typically made from fabric from a decade or 2 earlier.
back to work, hand hemming a few miles or so of silk. Oh, and your GF's Sister inlaw is who?
nice to meet you all
Jenny in NS - not used to there being more than one Jenny on a list!!
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#152 Post by admin »

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy, Jenny. I apologize for being so late with this--up to my hipboots in teeth gnashing squirrels and rabid rabbits.

I see that you are already making yourself at home. Good on you!! Be welcome, be active and thanks for joining us.

Emmett
admin
Site Admin

#153 Post by admin »

Jenny, Nasser,

moved this conversation to Boots and Shoes in History>The Gentle Craft

Emmett
dboard
Full Name: daphne board

#154 Post by dboard »

Hello All-
I am an infrequent ghost here on the forum, and thought I would take a moment to do the correct, the formal thing:
I am another shoemaker in the great state of Massachusetts...I am hoping that one day Massachusetts will become known as the US state with most shoemakers per capita, or maybe per old abandoned shoe factories, or some other such market-able slogan. At any rate, it is so nice to have a couple of local shoe people around, and it is very nice to have been able to read this forum for knowledge, insight, etc.
I have been making shoes for the past six or seven years; I was lucky to have studied with Fred Longtin and Janel Warmington before being given "the boot" and sent out on my own!
Cheers-
Daphne
kenkähahmo

#155 Post by kenkähahmo »

Hi Daphne -

Nice to see you here. I was lucky enought to find Fred, Janel and Jon thanks to you, if you remember!

Hanna
admin
Site Admin

#156 Post by admin »

Welcome to The Crispin Colloquy, Daphne. I guess you might know our aged Image but beloved leader, as well--Dan Freeman.

It used to be that I thought there was nothing east of the Missisippi but in my dotage I find out that there are lots of skilled craftsmen floating around somewhere in the ocean between the Mississippi and England. Image Hurrah!!Image

Welcome again.
dboard

#157 Post by dboard »

There is land west of the Mississippi Ocean?

And, hello, Hanna--I do remember you! I hope you had a lovely time in N.S.
-D
ekarr
Full Name: Eli Karr

#158 Post by ekarr »

Hello Everybody,
I thought I would introduce myself. I have been a lurker for a few months reading about boot and shoe making and have become very interested in the process as a whole. I’m a complete newbie so please forgive my ignorance! I’m looking forward to learning the process with DW and Randee (I hope I spelled her name right!) next month and starting the long road from ignorance to awareness in the world of bootmaking. This is such a great network of unique craftsmen I look forward to getting to know everyone.
-Eli
admin
Site Admin

#159 Post by admin »

Eli,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. Like most journeys, this one is fraught with potholes and detours. We're like the AAA of shoe and bootmaking--here to help. Image

Emmett.
elstoof

#160 Post by elstoof »

Greetings everybody,
I'd like to introduce myself to you all, I've been a keen follower of this forum for a while now so I guess it's only fair I pop out from the shadows. My name is Nicholas and I'm currently serving my apprenticeship in the West End. I look forward to getting to know you all finally!

regards,

Nicholas
admin
Site Admin

#161 Post by admin »

Nicholas,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. I am glad to see that there's a growing contingent of "West Enders" reading and contributing to the forum. Personally, I think the work being done in, and for, some of the West End shops sets the standard for the Trade not only because it is so well done but because it is grounded in the best, and most traditional, practices of the Trade. As skilled and knowledgeable as many of our regulars are, I know of at least one or two who wish they themselves were serving an apprenticeship in the West End--and some of those folks already have literally decades of experience and knowledge.

In my experience, however, anyone at any level, can take away something from The Crispin Colloquy--for some of the more experienced, it is the sweet nectar of sharing and helping someone else to love the process and the materials as much as they do. For others, it is learning from masters (and we have a few) techniques and insights that they might never otherwise be exposed to.

Welcome again...don't be a stranger.

Emmett
mack
Full Name: Jim McCormack

#162 Post by mack »

Nicholas,
Glad to see you here,you can give a different perspective about the West end trade from me. You will get a lot of questions for sure Image
Where are you apprenticed and what are you learning, how is it going ?
We may well know some of the same people.
Regards Mack.
relferink

#163 Post by relferink »

Nicholas,

Welcome to our little corner of the web. I'm curious about your apprenticeship, is it an all round training? Lasts, closing, making etc. or are you already specializing?
How did you get into shoemaking? Did you enjoy any formal footwear training before starting you apprenticeship?

Make yourself at home here and don't forget to jump into discussions wherever you feel like it.

Rob
elstoof

#164 Post by elstoof »

Hello again everyone, thank you for the warm welcome and I'd be happy to explain a little more about myself!
In answer to your question Rob, I got into this line of work by sheer good fortune really. I first got 'the bug' when I was at studying a Fine Art degree a few years ago, I had an idea for a project that involved shoes so I started some research which never stopped really. When I decided to pursue a career, I got in touch with John Lobb who just happened to have an apprenticeship available. Taking this as something of a sign, I handed my notice where I was working and that was that! I hadn't had any formal training prior to starting, but I've always enjoyed being 'handy', every job I've ever had has been with my hands so that's given me something to build on (I hope).

As I mentioned above, I work at John Lobb as an apprentice lastmaker. As seems to be the norm in the West End you only ever work in your appointed field and won't be formally trained in any of the other departments, although because we have clickers, makers, pattern cutters etc. all under one roof it's a wonderful place to be apprenticed as I'm able to watch some of the worlds best at their given profession while on lunch breaks etc.

As you said Mack, I think we do know some of the same people and as spooky as it seems I've also been fortunate to have seen some of your work firsthand, and would like to take this opportunity to doff my hat to you. Great stuff indeed.

Again, great to meet you all, and I look forward to future conversations.

Nick
dboard

#165 Post by dboard »

Hello Nicholas, and all-
I had a longish layover in London a couple of years ago, and went into the city. I poked my head into Lobb's and looked at some samples and eventually got around to telling someone there that I made shoes. I then was given a wonderful tour of the inner workings--a great experience! It did seem like such a great place to work, watch, etc.
Cheers-
Daphne
hydeandheddle

#166 Post by hydeandheddle »

Hello, I have been lurking here for a while and probably should introduce myself. I'm Ron. I'm previledged to be a friend of Ed Shirley's. He gave me the shoe making bug. I've been working with leather for twenty year or more, mostly tooled leather chess boards , scottish sporrans, cases, and other small items. I made the belts, sword sheaths, canteens, Horse face barding and other leather props for the horrible Martin Lawrance movie "Black Knight". I have repaired a bit of saddlery and tack but not much. I am currently making my first shoe. I expect to make many before I make a pair that I will wear. Those of you that have made videos make it look far easier than it is! Thanks for allowing me to join in .
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#167 Post by paul »

Welcome to you folks!

Golly, I just love the diversity we have been getting here.

Hope you all absorb and share as chance permits.

Paul
admin
Site Admin

#168 Post by admin »

Ronald,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. Well, now you gone and done it! Once you start taking on the challenges of shoe or bootmaking everything else pales by comparison. Well...maybe not everything Image

Emmett
shoestring

#169 Post by shoestring »

Ron,
Glad you came out of the box, welcome,I still say you should post your first as an introduction to a journey to come.And welcome everyone else.

Ed
hydeandheddle

#170 Post by hydeandheddle »

Ed, I will, Only let me get it finished first. I should have it by Saturday
ada

#171 Post by ada »

Hi everyone. My name is Anna (Ada). Im from St.Petesburg, Russia. I was working as graphic designer for several years,after finishing art school, but about a year ago I got a crush on boots and shoes. Mainly cowboy boots. So I've designed a few pairs. Im not making it all with my own hands (Id like to learn, though), I just do the designs and pattern works and then Im having them built by real bootmakers. Anyway, last week I got a first pair of my size, so Im trying to wear them and i kinda like it.

Here's the link to my boots:
http://www.bootsbyada.ru/

Right now Im working on a totally new thing. I want to make a pair of high heel shoes dedicated to my favourite movie character which is King-Kong. They will have the heels in the shape of inverted Empire State building. I'll post some sketches, if someone explains me how to upload images to this forum.

Ada.
marcell

#172 Post by marcell »

Hi Ada. Nice to meet you again! Image
michaelbeeman

#173 Post by michaelbeeman »

Hello to all. I have just joined up today and wanted to introduce myself.
My name is Michael, I'm 45 and a true beginner! I have been fascinated with shoes since a child, and am a little embarrassed it's taken me this long to start!
I've just started a video/internet apprenticeship with a fellow making custom moccasins. I will be starting my first pair next week, hopefully. It is my intention to use this as a way to start in Cordwainery, and as I go, learn more and varied techniques and styles. I hope to set up a business within a year or two, I know I have a lot to learn!
artzend
Full Name: Tim Skyrme
Been Liked: 2 times

#174 Post by artzend »

Michael

Good luck with the moccassins. It doesn't matter when you start, it's where you end up that's more important.

Tim
relferink

#175 Post by relferink »

Michael,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. You found a great place to learn about shoe making, no matter if you are a beginner or a master shoemaker. Never mind you got a late start, you're starting now and that's all that counts.

I do have a question on the apprenticeship you are starting here.

Rob