The Registry

Introducing...
jkrichard
Full Name: Jeffrey K Richard

Re: The Registry

#351 Post by jkrichard »

Welcome to the forums Francis and Jen, I hope you'll enjoy the wide range of skills and diverse backgrounds here, as much as I do.

Cheers,
-Jeff
Member, HCC
jen
Full Name: Jen Curtis

#352 Post by jen »

Thank you all for your messages. It's good to hear that Nasser had an interest in shoemaking from childhood - I think I was influenced by reading "The Elves and the Shoemaker" when I was quite young.

As Emmett mentioned, making ballet shoes did seem to progress from learning dressmaking. I make all my clothes from organically grown cotton fabric, but I'm not sure if shoes made from this would last very long!

I've discovered that there are shoemaking classes very near the college I attend, but at my college we have to study law, which isn't nearly so interesting!

Best wishes,

Jen
zombo72
Full Name: Scott House

#353 Post by zombo72 »

Hello,
Just getting stated in Shoe/Boot making. I am interested in making Imperial German Service Shoes/Boots from The Great War Period. Currently no one makes an acceptable (IMHO)Low Boot from this period.
I am having trouble finding a source for Prickwood sole pegs. Does anyone know where I might find them, or do folks generally make their own?
Any help or tips on shoe making is welcomed and greatly appreciated.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#354 Post by paul »

Scott,

Welcome to the Colloquy!

I'm not familair with Prickwood pegs. No help here. I've never heard of them actually, but my background is shoe repair, so it's just been lemonwood.

Maintain your determination and enjoy the journey.

Paul
dearbone
Full Name: Nasser Vies
Been Liked: 3 times

#355 Post by dearbone »

Scott,

I buy my pegs from "WARKOV-SAFEER LEATHER LIMITED" out of Winnipeg,Canada. 1-800-665-8619 they have pegs in size 5/8 and 6/8 they are not the best made pegs as i remember them from 20 or 30 years ago and by that i mean,they are not all cut perfect.

Francis,

A belated welcome to you.

Nasser
zombo72
Full Name: Scott House

#356 Post by zombo72 »

Thank you, for the welcome and the info.
tmattimore
Full Name: Tom Mattimore

#357 Post by tmattimore »

Any Goetz dealer will have them(see shoe finders in your yellow pages)they may sell them direct. They all come from a factory in Austria and though my german is rusty they are some type of beech. Welcome to the forum and since I am one of the few makers of Imperial German footwear I await your efforts.
Tom
johnw
Full Name: John Warr

#358 Post by johnw »

Hi

I have been looking over this forum for a while and finally decided to join in. I am not a boot or shoe maker - my wife and I specialize in repairing and altering motorcycle leathers - but we are both interested in the subject and some of our equipment is from the shoe trade. Gwen has made shoes for herself and for friends who are re-enactors but there isn't the time to learn a whole new trade - and there isn't the workshop space :-)
Besides motorcycle Kit we also do some harness repair, a bit of belt making and general repairs & alterations. We are in the UK south of Northampton & hope to learn much more from you guys.
paul

#359 Post by paul »

John,

Welcome to you and your wife. It sounds like you folks are well establised in your area doing what you love.

I put off concentrating on learning to make boots for years while I was raising my family doing shoe repair. What I learned from the inside out was a great help in becoming whatever I am now. I'm sure you can experience the same thing.

Keep up the good work and join in when you can with questions and comments.

With Regards,
Paul
producthaus
Full Name: Nick Hausman

#360 Post by producthaus »

Hi all,

I live in san francisco and work at a design studio called LUNAR. We help clients problem solve through engineering, industrial design, graphics, branding, etc.

At work I often deal with plastics, electronics and screens, and certainly do not manufacture the final product; so in addition to ceramics, I am adding shoemaking to my list of life-balancing hobbies. I currently have half of my books, half of my tools and materials, and met half of the shoemaking supply stores in my area. We have a saying at work, "We are confused so the user isn't". This means we immerse ourselves in the project domain, gaining knowledge and solving problems, so that in the end the user is presented with a pleasing experience that does not harm or confuse.

For shoemaking I am in that chaotic space of partial knowledge and vision, it's scary but also fun and motivating as I make my way towards my first pair of shoes.

I plan to make low and high top street shoes with slim weight and proportions, lower toe-boxes, and a lot of detail and design put towards support and comfort. I am tall and cannot wear “cool” street shoes with flimsy rubber soles for very long, so I want to make my own with the proper support, strength and cushioning I need.

A quick and dirty sketch :
11164.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
last_maker

#361 Post by last_maker »

Hello Nick,

I didn't see that anyone respond to your question about olga down load. As I understand it, olga is not a down loadable program. It is an online program on the global footwear solutions site. You can design lasts in RINO Cad but then you would need a way to out put them. Although rino can be Utilized it is a clunky way of going about designing lasts. If you need lasts, and you can't get a responce from any one Jones& Vining has a catalogue too. if you are looking for a last making set up,there are programs such as lastmaker, Delcam, shomaster & Romans. These all will run in the hundred thousands, dollar wise, not including the CNC Lathe to wip out the lasts.
rubo_g

#362 Post by rubo_g »

Hello folks, name is Ruben. I'm in Los Angeles. I'm not a shoe maker but I work with a lot of them - I do full color printing on leather - and then people go ahead and make shoes, boots, handbags - you name it...Anybody interested can check my web site out
leatherfx.com
michael_nash

#363 Post by michael_nash »

Hello All,
My name is Michael Nash and I’ve finally joined after lurking around the forum for the last month or so. The wealth of knowledge and helpful attitude here is wonderful and the info I’ve gleaned as a fly on the wall has been a tremendous help for this total beginner at shoe making. Becoming an HCC member and participating fully should be even more rewarding.
I’m originally from Port Townsend, WA but now reside in New York city working as a shoe designer for a large shoe company (Jimlar Corp). I travel to China several times a year for prototyping and production and while learning a ton on that side of the business I have a strong desire to make my own shoes with my own hands in a way that is more fulfilling and sustainable than the mass produced overseas approach.
I’ve recently set up a small shop in my Manhattan apartment (shh..don’t tell my neighbors) and have completed my first shoe with laughably rough but promising results. I can’t thank you all enough for the wisdom you share in these discussions as it has helped me greatly. I’m very happy to have found this community and look forward to contributing.
Very best regards,
Michael Nash
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#364 Post by admin »

Welcome Michael.

I am sure that you will have a lot to contribute to the forum.

If you have some time that you can take off in late October you might want to attend the AGM in Delavan Wisconsin, over the Saint Crispin's Day weekend. Larry Waller is always the genial host and this year promises to see a few faces that we don't always see.

The announcement, with details for making reservations, etc., is under the "HCC Bulletin Board" topic.

Yr. Hmb. Svt.
michael_nash

#365 Post by michael_nash »

Thank you,I do plan on attending the AGM next month. It'll be great to put a face to some of these names.
Looking forward to it!
MN
olisicka8
Full Name: Olesya Richards

#366 Post by olisicka8 »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the HCC. My name is Olesya Richards. I'm for Broadway, VA.
I just started to learn how to make shoes and I love it!
I'm coming to the AGM for the first time and so excited to learn from you!

(Message edited by Olisicka8 on October 08, 2010)
admin
Site Admin

#367 Post by admin »

Olesya,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. Good on you for planning to attend the AGM. There will be plenty to do and learn and lots of good times. This should be a good one.

Emmett
olisicka8
Full Name: Olesya Richards

#368 Post by olisicka8 »

Thank you, Emmett!
I'm so excited to come! And everybody is so nice here. I'm amazed how everybody is ready to help and is warmly welcoming!
Thank you!

Olesya
gshoes
Full Name: Geraldine Rabey

#369 Post by gshoes »

Hello all,

I will be bringing my 16 year old son Adam with me. I was wondering if there were any other young adults attending the conference?

Geri
marika_vchasse
Full Name: Anne Marika Verploegh Chasse

#370 Post by marika_vchasse »

Hello all,

My name is Anne Marika Verploegh Chasse and I am new to the forum. I finally decided to join after reading the posts for a while. It has been very encouraging to read and learn from them. I am very excited to come to this years HCC Meeting and think it will inspire my shoemaking in my little studio in Brooklyn, New York.

Marika
admin
Site Admin

#371 Post by admin »

Marika,

Welcome aboard! Sounds like there is definitely going to be some new faces at AGM this year. Glad you could make connections with Olesya.

Soon...

Emmett
paul

#372 Post by paul »

I'd like to express a big WELCOME to the several new ones who have posted.

We are happy to have you here.

I'm so sorry to missing the annual meeting this year, due to my recent surgery. It sounds as if there are so many folks I'd like to meet.

I know you will enjot the warm reception you will receive from the Wallers, and the many other members. It will feed your fires for shoe making.

Enjoy,
Paul
marika_vchasse
Full Name: Anne Marika Verploegh Chasse

#373 Post by marika_vchasse »

Thank you very much for the welcome!

Greetings -
Marika
amy_roberts
Full Name: Amy Roberts

#374 Post by amy_roberts »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Amy. I haven't made my first pair of shoes yet, but, I have some textbooks and a small and slowing growing collection of hand tools. I'm very much looking forward to getting to the making process and would kindly accept any advice, input, pointers, and recommendations.

I will be attending the AGM in Delavan this month.
admin
Site Admin

#375 Post by admin »

Welcome Amy. Glad to hear that you're attending the AGM this month. There'll be lot to see and learn.

Emmett