The Registry

Introducing...
PalmettoMan
Full Name: Curt Hinson

Re: The Registry

#526 Post by PalmettoMan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:29 am

I should start by introducing myself. My name is Curt H. I live in South Carolina, hence the name PalmettoMan. I am 39 going on 12 and work for myself in a non-shoe related field. I am also back in college, working on the degree I should have finished 20 years ago.

I have always found well-made shoes fascinating. I have recently started doing my own repair work on my shoes. Soon, I plan on making my first pair of shoes by hand. I also plan on making a good many of my own tools.

At the time, I am trading odd jobs and war stories with a local shoe repairman for hands-on knowledge. I have access to the usual assortment of shoe repair machines and tools. The man I am working with admits he has instruments to do far more than repair but neither the skill nor desire to do more.

I’ve been a lurker here for a while now and figured I should just go ahead and jump in head first. I have downloaded the books and have read as much as I understand. I have a lot of questions and hope I do not annoy anyone.

Curt H.

paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 3 times

#527 Post by paul » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:53 am

Welcome Curt!

You have a classic start on your "hero's journey"!

Several of us had our start in shoe repair. My first awareness of DW came from one of the Shoe Service of America Conventions, He tell you that his tutorial are aimed at such as us because of the "various assortment of tools and machines" we use.
The service aspect of footwear and leatherwork is where I've found my anchor. The view that what skills I may have were given to be used in the service of others, has been the driving force for the direction my life has gone.

I wish the same for you.

It sounds like a passion lurking around the corner.
Even the most difficult aspects of the trade can be come second nature with good technique applied.
There's a really great podcast by Ira Glass, an NPR contributor. It's entitled "DO a lot of Work" A wisdom, he explains, he wishes he would have known sooner. I've got it saved somewhere if you can't find it yourself.

You'll find great encouragement here as you progress.
It will be exciting to view.

With welcoming regards,
Paul
PK Boot Maker

PalmettoMan

#528 Post by PalmettoMan » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Thanks for the welcome Paul. I think the thing that most attracts me to shoes is the magical simplicity of them. Every job that I’ve enjoyed has been blindingly simple at first glance yet remarkably nuanced once you learn what you are doing. I worked in a cotton mill during my early 20s. The machine I ran would do a perfectly acceptable job on its own, but if you listened to it and paid attention to the vibrations, you could make it sing. Humidity, temperature and cloth type all played their part too. A good operator could triple the output of what was expected of the machine.

Your comment that your skill should be used for service of others rings true to me. I have no doubt I can make shoes for myself. I would like to be able to make them for someone else to enjoy. That would be special. That is a weird way of explaining it but what could be better than being able to craft something of value for someone else to enjoy. By value, I mean appreciated by someone, not in the financial sense. I am neither young nor rich but have reached a point in life where I can work towards what I want. The medium may not turn out to be shoes, but I will never know until I try.

Curt H

dw
Seanachaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 32 times
Been Liked: 3 times

#529 Post by dw » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:48 am

Curt,

As the "official" greeter and host, I apologize for being so remiss and not responding sooner--I've a lot going on in my somewhat secluded and usually sedate life. :greatnotion:

In any case, welcome. As Paul said, it's a journey...one that requires a lifetime. I hope you will find a "home" here and comrades that inspire and motivate.
DWFII--HCC Member
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.

PalmettoMan

#530 Post by PalmettoMan » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:10 pm

Thank you for the welcome DW.

I have certainly found inspiration here. Maybe a bit too much :)