"The Art and Mysterie..."

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: "The Art and Mysterie..."

#451 Post by dw »

Oh BTW...looks like you got your bug exactly in the right spot.

Not many in the world (bluster aside) know how to do a full wellington...and you're definitely becoming a master. And someone who understands it theoretically and aesthetically. That's evident from these boots.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#452 Post by paul »

I don't see a blush smilie, so I'll just say Thank You.

Of course we all know the proof is in the putting (on).

But it sure feels like I'm understanding well enough. Especially after the confusion of the heel draft and hoisting were addressed. Thank you for that. As for the toe bug, it positioned well enough, but will be on my list of 3 for a long time. see below

This Torino was interesting, Cheryl talked like it's been a problem for them because it was more than $7.00 per ft. What's with that! It's is a full calf skin, and being from the bottom of the pallet wasn't #1 clean. But it sure felt nice before it was lasted. Interesting thing is how dry and course it is after. I'm thinking of a product for it, spoken of on the Shoe Repair International Facebook page. I think it's called Tenderly. I'll have to do some more research, but ones who have used it say it brings a like newfeel back to old leather. Thinking of some stain for color too. Should be inseaming them tomorrow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh

#453 Post by dw »

Paul,

Did you mark and position your toe bug before closing the side seam? Getting the toe bug correctly located on a FW has always been a bit problematic for me.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
paul

#454 Post by paul »

DW,

Yes I did. I had made a fitter and used the break {more or less the High Instep line) as a point of reference, measuring down from there.

Maybe it was beginners luck. I don't know where the variables would be. I do so few toe bugs, each one is like doing it for the first time all over again.

Paul
dw
Seanchaidh

#455 Post by dw »

paul » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:45 am wrote:DW,

Yes I did. I had made a fitter and used the break {more or less the High Instep line) as a point of reference, measuring down from there.

Maybe it was beginners luck. I don't know where the variables would be. I do so few toe bugs, each one is like doing it for the first time all over again.

Paul
Did you make a full cut fitter's model!?
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
paul

#456 Post by paul »

Nope. I made a triad fitter for 'er.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

#457 Post by homeboy »

It's been a long time since I picked up the long boards. Let's see where this leads us....both front liners on the "easy" boards.
What one man has done....another can do.
homeboy

#458 Post by homeboy »

:thumb: Front blocker on the "easy" board!
homeboy

#459 Post by homeboy »

Fast forward...and here they be! Only the second pair of full wellingtons since making a pair with D.W. Frommer, II 20 years ago. All in all, I'm fairly pleased with them. Fun project with many learning points. For one, I have too sharp a blade on my boards. Don't know why I haven't noticed it before. Horween leather (seconds) took a hell of a beating. Finish came off in several places. Honestly, I wouldn't use this leather again. What would I use? Good question! Still looking! Stitch pattern is a D.W. Frommer variation....guess it's somewhat borrowed. 14" tops with a 1 5/8" heel. Like I said, I tried to bring back the finish, but it just doesn't look the same.
dw
Seanchaidh

#460 Post by dw »

Jake!!

You sure lived up to your signature "What one man..."

Great looking boots! I'm proud of you. You've got it, seriously.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
homeboy

#461 Post by homeboy »

"I stand on the shoulders of those who came before me!" I could not of accomplish this without your guidance and expertise. An apprentice is always looking for approval from their mentor. Your satisfaction is worth more than you can imagine! But Dee-Dubb....I ain't through. I will do better! Thank You! :bowdown:

Full Wellington boots will sure push you. It ain't for the meek and timid. I enjoyed the trip!