Tools of the Trade

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: Tools of the Trade

#976 Post by dw »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe this tool is used for "string wiping" of celastic or synthetic toe puffs.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#977 Post by paul »

I've been curious about how those work.
Dick makes something like this doesn't he?
PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#978 Post by dw »

Paul,

Yes, he does.

I, myself, have not been curious---I don't think they can be used with a leather toe box, for one, and I really feel that celastic (as well as any tool that might aid in using it) is a false economy in a bespoke shop.

But celastic's big in the factory world, so you inevitably see these adaptations.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
paul

#979 Post by paul »

DW,
I get that.
But my curiousity relates to a repair shop.
Toe changes I've done in the past have often been celastic. And I've used just plain thread to wrap them up tight.
It's an interesting tool.
PK
jake
Full Name: Jake

#980 Post by jake »

Fellers,

You can, and I have, use this tool to last leather and synthetic toe boxes. Works prety darn well if done correctly.
dw
Seanchaidh

#981 Post by dw »

Jake!!

Good to hear from you homes!

I guess I got to be the old "stick in the mud" about this issue. In my personal opinion, it's still a false economy.

Ask yourself...about this as well as every other aspect of the boot...What does it cost? How long does it take to implement and/or how difficult is it to master or use?

Don't tel me the answers...it may not make any difference because the way we perceive these kinds of issues are very personal.

But let me tell/remind everyone of this...a leather wiping strip costs nothing. Just as a leather toe box costs nothing. Nothing extra...you've already paid for it. And to use a wiping strip is dead simple....and fast.

Now...the real question...how do the results from using a leather wiping strip or a string wiper compare? Is there a significant difference? Are the results produced by the string wiper so much better or so much faster it warrants the expenditure?

This is what I mean by "false economy." It's like buying bottled water when you live right next to a spring. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
jake
Full Name: Jake

#982 Post by jake »

Dee-Dubb,

Can't argue with your reasoning one bit! I would have to agree also. A nickle strip of latigo does the trick!
dw
Seanchaidh

#983 Post by dw »

Jake,

Derned right! But you don't even need to use latigo. I get wiping strips from all sorts of scraps...and believe me I generate lots of scraps. Almost any leather that is not too stretchy, not too brittle, and not too thin will work, If you make work boots out of heavy (5-6 oz.) oil stuffed leather...you've got an endless supply. Sometimes I'll cut some wiping strips from scraps of horse strip that I use for outsole welting. In fact, almost any upper leather will work...at least once...and some of it will last through literally hundreds of boots.

And...since I've been using a bit of Horween Latigo for vamps and full cuts, I think it makes a wonderful wiping strip.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
firefly

#984 Post by firefly »

All,

I have notice that some of you use a strip of soling leather attached to the bottom of your crimping boards. How is that attached? If glued what is the best glue to use?

I am using Dick Anderson's Poly boards.

Thanks,

Mark
dw
Seanchaidh

#985 Post by dw »

Mark,

All-purpose and some long nails in about three places and the ends. I can't remember what nails I used but they're shoe nails...a long threaded nail will work...mostly that they don't have a huge head.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
firefly

#986 Post by firefly »

Thanks DW,

I am going to try to crimp up my first pair this week and I did not want to destroy a pair of Dick's nice crimping boards.

I'll try to take some pictures so you guys can see what is like for a real hack to try this.

Thanks,

Mark
kaspar
Full Name: Kaspar
Been Liked: 2 times

#987 Post by kaspar »

I remembered with the lasts, this weird tool (IMO at least) Got it a year ago. I know what it is thought I have never seen this kind of a lap version, and I don`t know the english name of this.
4836.jpg
4837.jpg
4838.jpg

Cheers
K.

(Message edited by Kaspar on February 13, 2007)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
paul

#988 Post by paul »

Kaspar,

Sorry no guess from me. However I'm curious.

Mark,

Before I glued my soleing strips on my boards, I scratched the edge with my sole ruffer. It helped alot.

Good luck with your crimping.

PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#989 Post by dw »

Mark,

I roughed mine up same as Paul. Sorry I forgot to mention that.

I might add that on the rare occasion that I get a customer with a calf that exceeds the dimensions of my patterns and/or the dimensions of the boards, I will use soling leather and make a narrow stack which I then simply nail onto the edge with 10/8 wire clinching nails.

After all is said and done, I can pop it right off and save it for another day.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
firefly

#990 Post by firefly »

Paul/DW,

Thanks that's a good idea. I am assuming that Barge would be a good choice for "all purpose" adheasive.

The soling bends that I have are about 11/12 and they are not very pliable. Do either of you guys soak them before applying them to the bottom of the crimping boards.

I know these are remedial questions but all I have is Western Bootmaking: An American Tradition and blind determination.

Thanks,

Mark
paul

#991 Post by paul »

Mark,

I just scratched the back of my strip, to remove the fluff and applied two coats of Barge, just one coat on the board. I can't see any benifit in wetting them as they're just layin' down flat.
Then I did some lip knife practice and sanded it the rest of the way. I didn't do a close follow of Dicks camber, but I did some. I needed my German Pincers to fit over the edge for leverage.

I'm puttin' front blocker #2 on the cruel board today. I could be assembleing next week, were it not for hotter irons on the fire.

DW,

Whatever works, that's great! I used to say I was always flying by the seat of my pants. Now I come to this point in my life in the pursuit of mastery, and find out that's how it's done. How 'bout that!

PK
firefly

#992 Post by firefly »

Thanks Paul,

I will get on fixing these up tonight so I can get to crimpin'.

I'm excited already.

Mark
relferink

#993 Post by relferink »

Kaspar,

How big is the tool? (it's hard to get a sense of proportion in the picture) Describe how and what is it used for and I'm sure one of the smarter readers here (that rules me out) will get you the name.

Rob
kaspar

#994 Post by kaspar »

Robert.
Those handstitching needles You posted are as far as I am told Russian origin. We have one shoemaker here who is making them and I also have those. Old shoemakers here told that this style and needles came from Russia here Well they`r actual origin could be somewhere else of course.

Cheers
K
kaspar

#995 Post by kaspar »

Hi all.
I have question about pincers. I have mostly and what I am using- two size`s Berg pincers 503 and 502 as I can recall ( I don`t have them now near me). But one lady told that she have a very large pincers left from shes dad. And they were used in bootmaking when stretching thick and sturdy leather. She cant `find them at the moment and the shoemakers in Estonia that I have told about these , said that they have never seen these kind of LARGE pincers ( more larger than regular ones)
Have anybody seen something bigger?

Cheers
K.
kaspar

#996 Post by kaspar »

Robert
My late answer to Your question. Just got home and the "ironfootlaptool" or what it is named is 67 cm tall and the metal footplate is 20 cm.

Cheers
K.
tomo

#997 Post by tomo »

Kasper,
perhaps it was made by the local blacksmith out of what he had available, ie the cobbler/shoemaker/bootmaker had to make do. Look at how many of our tools were formed from worn rasps or from other bits and pieces.
4847.jpg
I've just bought these tools from a chap and I'm waiting on them to arrive. But you can see some of the tools have been made at the forge.

More power to y'awl.

Tom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shoestring

#998 Post by shoestring »

Sharping instructions needed.I have a couple of "Sole Planes"that can't cut butter with they feel sharp but need an edge.Can someone tell me the best way to go about sharping them for use.Thanks in advance.

Ed
dw
Seanchaidh

#999 Post by dw »

Tom,

I missed your post of the 17th. I don't know what you paid for this cache, but if it wasn't too dear, you got a treasure...

Two bulldogs, three Bergs and a nice USMC style Whitcher!! If the teeth on these are sharp and clean, you got a heck of a deal in just those six tools alone. The other four English style Whitchers are good, as well...clean them up a little and sell them off if you can't use them--sell one and you might pay for the whole schmeer.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
kaspar

#1000 Post by kaspar »

Kasper,
perhaps it was made by the local blacksmith out of what he had available, ie the cobbler/shoemaker/bootmaker had to make do. Look at how many of our tools were formed from worn rasps or from other bits and pieces.

Hi Tom. Again my late "speech". Busy with the school and trying to do shoes also. My apologizes.
I think You`r right about the blacksmith. I have two hammers that are forged by a blacksmith.

Cheers
K.