Bootmaking books?

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

Bootmaking books?

#1 Post by admin »

Roughly 100 messages posted prior to 25 February 2002 have been moved to the first Crispin Colloquy CD Archive. Those interested in obtaining a copy of this CD need to contact admin@thehcc.org

Admin--06 May 2002
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: Bootmaking books?

#2 Post by dw »

For those interested in expanding their knowledge of boot and shoemaking, I have just finished digitalizing volume VI of Golding's eight volume set Boots and Shoes. It is available as a free download on the Guild's website in the Library section. It is in .pdf format and faithfully reproduces the original text almost to a fault. It requires that you have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your computer. [Acrobat Reader is a free download from Adobe but many installation programs...for printers, video cards, and even software...offer to install a copy during set up so you may already have Reader on your computer.]

Golding's eight volume set dates from the turn of the century--the 20th century--and is, admittedly, dated...but only in the most trivial respects. Volume VI is in two sections--Bespoke Bootmaking by J. Ball and Handsewn Bootmaking by H. Rollinson--neither of which is, strictly speaking about 'bootmaking,' but rather about shoemaking. That said, Bespoke Bootmaking is a nice overview of the Trade and what is needed to set up a shop, and it's particularly suited to beginners.

Handsewn Bootmaking is as complete a tutorial on making a man's shoe as can be found in any of the early texts. Anyone, beginner or old hand, looking to expand their knowledge will find it a fascinating read.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
jake
Full Name: Jake

#3 Post by jake »

Dee-Dubb,

Let me be the first to Thank You for all your hard work. This was no easy task! Work done for the love of the Trade and loyal devotion towards the teaching of others. Qualities limited to only a few. We are lucky to have you among us!
dw
Seanchaidh

#4 Post by dw »

Jake,

Aw, shucks...I mean really, now I'm blushing.

I guess that now I look back on it, it was a pretty long job. Not particularly hard, just tedious. I may do one other...out of eight, so you know it's not particularly fun...but it may be a while.

Thing is knowledge is the most important tool we have, bar none. I've never understood those folks who parade their ignorance like Macy's was burning books.

Anyway, thanks Jake. You've got broadband so I hope you'll be the first to download it. Because if the truth be known I do it for folks like yourself who are always willing to learn and open to knowledge.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
plugnickle
Full Name: Steve

#5 Post by plugnickle »

DW,
I offer my thanks as well. I appreciate your taking the time to make this available to people such as myself that would not have otherwise had the opportunity to aquire a copy.

Steve
jake
Full Name: Jake

#6 Post by jake »

Dee-Dubb,

I was downloading it the second I finished my last post!

Listen Folks! I scan everything from tax documents to magazine articles.....it IS a big thing! We're all busy, and it speaks volumes on D.W.'s behalf to take the time to do this. Once again, a deep tip of the hat Ol'Buddy!

Steve,

I hear ya! I don't know if I would have had the opportunity to acquire a copy myself. On the other hand, upon Dee-Dubb's demise, I'm suppose to get ALL his valuables! ;)
mekhaus
Full Name: Mike

#7 Post by mekhaus »

I just downloaded a copy and viewed all the
pages to check that it transfered completely.
D.W. has done an unbelievable job copying the
pages. Crisp and clean ... just like his boots.
WOW! Thank you for all you have done.
dw
Seanchaidh

#8 Post by dw »

Steve,

Glad to do it. Enjoy!

Jake and all,

Just for your information....the book is scanned and then "recognized." So that it is actually text--as if I had written the thing using a word processor (which I didn't). But the thing is, see, you can copy text and paste it into an email, into a Forum post, into anything. You can print this book (if you want to spend a fortune in paper and consumables). It searches, it links to the TOC and the photographs are .jpgs that can be copied and pasted, or exported as jpgs or pngs (I think).

Scanning it was only about 1/4 of the job--if that. All the photos and lithographs had to be imported into a graphics program (depending on their format) and "cleaned up." This means that spurious "noise" and broken letters had to be either removed or re-drawn. Remember this was printed a long time ago and the reproduction of captions was especially problematic...readable but not always clear. And all the photos had to be likewise cleaned up, and in most cases "lightened" up as well, then brought back into the book.

And, to top that all off, I had to visually scan--essentially read--the whole book, as well, to complete the "OCR" process and correct errors and "unknown" words or letters.

I mention all this (and maybe I shouldn't) because someday...maybe...someone else will want to pick up where I left off. It took me....what was it six months?...half an hour (plus) every morning and several hours each weekend. I think I appreciate the Gutenburg Project now, by an order of magnitude. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#9 Post by walrus »

DW I would like to add a big thank you for all your work on Golding's book . That is a wonderful gift for us all. Thank you again for "all" your efforts .
Larry Waller
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co. LLC
dw
Seanchaidh

#10 Post by dw »

Larry,

Hey, I've gotten back a lot more, from the HCC, from the Forum, from good folks all over the world, than all I've contributed put together.

It's not always been comfortable but if nothing else, I've learned (and not just about shoe/bootmaking) and I keep learning. Knowledge is power, as they say. Learning about different approaches to common problems we all encounter in shoemaking; learning about how to use a computer or about how to deal with photos and photo editing software; learning about people and the dynamics of dealing with folks from all walks of life...if nothing else, it's a good way to stay young. The brain is like a muscle...if you don't exercise it, it loses mass. Image

But heck you...you *all*...know that. I'm just making conversation 'cuz I feel a bit embarrassed to be thanked for what, in the end, turns out to be outrageously lop-sided in my favour. Like I said I've gained more than I've given.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
shoestring

#11 Post by shoestring »

DW,
I second everybody you have done a fantastic job
this proves your love for the craft both pass,present and future.Unselfish efforts like this will carry a long ways............

Jake,
you to are in the same boat with DW anytime I call on you ,you never shy away.I can only be glad to do the same for another.

My hat's off to you both.
relferink

#12 Post by relferink »

Only had a chance to glance at the awesome job DW did. I can only imagine all the hours involved. I already saved it to my drive and will start reading shortly. By just browsing over it I know there is a lot of useful information in there that will in the end make my products better for my customers and add to my craft skills. I only hope I will have a chance to give back to the HCC and DW all that I have gained from the forum.
DW thanks a million! Don’t be shy about taking in the praise, that’s the least you can get for all those hours a bootmaker spends not making boots.
dai
Full Name: David Kilgour

#13 Post by dai »

DW

Thank you for making Golding's volume VI available here. It looks so bright as though Golding had just presented it, fresh. Much praise for result, a fast loading pdf from character recognised scans. What effect would this have had on the trade if the book had gone "online" and was so accessible in 1935 I wonder? Thanks again.
erickgeer

#14 Post by erickgeer »

DW
I am looking forward to reading the Golding Volume. I spend a lot of time with a scanner - I know how time consuming clean-up is - Thank you

Erick
dw
Seanchaidh

#15 Post by dw »

I know, I know...hit me up side the head--dope slap--but I've made a good start on Golding's Volume IV [Lasting and Making & Fitting up the Last] this past week. I thought I would alert folks just in case some one else was contemplating doing volume IV (yeah, right). Allow six months, and, barring unforseen...it will be available alongside volume VI.

I had a good Fourth--did BBQ for about 16 folks, beef brisket, pork ribs, chicken and bratwurst, beer and Talisker...hope everybody else did, too.

Cheers...

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
tomo

#16 Post by tomo »

Hey DW,
I think you did a FANTASTIC job on VI. Scanning is certainly the easy bit, and I know that the OCR stuff takes ages, I did a text book from Uni once! And they weren't tears of joy that came to my eyes either.
I got another ream of paper and a cartridge for the printer so that I could print it off and get it spiral bound, I've got this thing about books...

Anyway, my brother said to download it and take the floppy to the copy centre and get them to do it. Duh!Image

Your efforts reminded me that I seem to remember seeing a Goldings in a library about 20 years ago, and I think it was in their stack room??

Glad you had a good 4th July - holiday today too isn't it?

I went and had supper with our American friends last night.

Thanks again DW for your diligence and hardwork, I hope you don't have to wait 'til you get to heaven before you get your reward.

More power to y'awl
T.
dw
Seanchaidh

#17 Post by dw »

Tom,

As always, you are very welcome. I keep saying that I do get rewarded for this kind of stuff. Most of the folks here on the CC are people, who given a chance, give back every bit as much as they get. Sometimes they even send *wood*...out of the sky blue and simply out of the goodness of their hearts. Image

But it really is the giving more than the gift itself or the getting that is the reward. Honestly, each minute I spend, I know...I feed on...the certainty that doing this kind of stuff is positive. That it makes a difference. That it contributes. That it's important in a small way. That it's useful. Knowing that, feeling that...is a reward all by itself. No human being can ask for anything more from life.

And then, too, sometimes just demonstrating that something *can* be done is enough to open a floodgate. Marc Carlson's conversion of Rees to html is what inspired me. Somewhere, sometime, someone will do the same thing on Leno, or Swaysland, maybe even Devlin.

In the end, there really wasn't much to it. The job is long, and tedious, and persnickety...but not all that demanding. The worst part is that a person has to have, and adhere to, a fairly rigorous discipline. Set aside an hour each day in which one scans and proofreads, or scans and cleans up graphics. And stick to that schedule...faithfully...barring accidents, sickness or domestic necessity. It's like writing a book...you have to write whether you feel like it or not.

The only thing I personally regret is that scanning tends to "open" the book. A devoted librarian might say it damages the spine to flatten it while scanning. And compounding that is the fact that in order to achieve clean results, especially on graphics and photos, you have to weight down the book to flatten it to the scanner bed. I reconcile that damage by telling myself that the book may never have to be cracked again. Certainly, with the search function, linking, etc. I, myself, would consult the pdf version more readily than the paper version.

I did have a good 4th, thank you...I can tell this morning that I *must* have had a good time! Image Luckily, today is, indeed, a holiday as well...at least for government workers. Days they don't deliver mail, I try to take off as well. Heck, if mailmen get to take the day off, a bootmaker should too. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#18 Post by dw »

Tom, all,

Re-reading my last post, I guess it might have come off a bit "sappy." Of course, I'm prone to "opinionating" on any old thing that comes to my mind, but so many people have written (here and in private email) to express their thanks and appreciation that I sort of naturally get to thinking about "stuff."

A lot of what I do and say probably is sappy. Especially for those that are by nature suspicious and closed off. Making Golding available to a larger, kindred, readership...or anything of that nature...will always be an effort that someone, somewhere, will take...with no thought or appreciation. Or try to characterize as somehow self-serving. To such people, almost anyone outside their own little circle is either a sap...to be taken advantage of...or arrogant and pontificating and undoubtedly looking for some hidden edge or gain that evades the "ordinary person."

In my odd moments, I get irritated at just the thought that people who feel that way might have any access whatsoever to any of the work I've done. I don't like to feel used anymore than anyone else. So, perhaps, just because I'm aware of that possiblity, I'm not really all that sappy...at least I hope I'm not. But if life has taught me anything, it is that "what goes around, comes around." All you have to do is really and truly believe that. Have faith, put your belief into action--and "walk the walk, not just talk the talk.

Call me a sap... or a fool...or "arrogant," self-promoting, whatever. I believe, and stand by, what I wrote--that giving is its own reward if you simply believe and act accordingly.

Now I guess I'll have to write another post because this one might be a little too "preachy."
3108.gif

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tomo

#19 Post by tomo »

Hey DW,
Nothing like a good purge to start the day!!Image
Have a good one.
more power to y'awl
T.
marc
Full Name: Marc Carlson
Been Liked: 2 times

#20 Post by marc »

And then, too, sometimes just demonstrating that something *can* be done is enough to open a floodgate. Marc Carlson's conversion of Rees to html is what inspired me. Somewhere, sometime, someone will do the same thing on Leno, or Swaysland, maybe even Devlin.

Thank you. I appreciate it. I'm glad to see more out there available. I actually have now gotten a copy of Devlin to do, and when I get finished with the book I'm doing I'll see about getting to it. My copy is flawed enough that it's going to take a
lot of editing the scans.

I don't know about Swaysland (c.1905), but there may be some copyright issues with Leno (At least with making it available on the web, since it's c.1949). Golding (at 1902) should be within the public domain though.
The only thing I personally regret is that scanning tends to "open" the book. A devoted librarian might say it damages the spine to flatten it while scanning. And compounding that is the fact that in order to achieve clean results, especially on graphics and photos, you have to weight down the book to flatten it to the scanner bed. I reconcile that damage by telling myself that the book may never have to be cracked again. Certainly, with the search function, linking, etc. I, myself, would consult the pdf version more readily than the paper version.

I've had similar qualms myself, but considering how UNavailable many of these things are and how poor the condition is of some of the really old things, if they aren't scanned in now, while they still exist, they may be lost. It helps ease the guilt, but doesn't make it go away.

Marc
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#21 Post by danfreeman »

Thank you, DW, for putting Golding onto the website. It was a considerable effort, I am sure, but will multiply in value as it is used. For those unfamiliar with Golding, it is a wonderful source of "lost" information: I have learned a great deal from it, and there's always more--every re-reading teaches.
It was a generous act from which many will benefit.
dw
Seanchaidh

#22 Post by dw »

if they aren't scanned in now, while they still exist, they may be lost.

Yes, I agree. That's why, against all reason, I started in on Vol. IV.

BTW, I think you've got Leno too late. My copy says 1905.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
marc
Full Name: Marc Carlson
Been Liked: 2 times

#23 Post by marc »

Rats. Apparently I got a later edition.

If we can find a copy of the 1895, that would be absolutely in the public domain (internationally). The 1905 might be. Is there a copyright statement on the item anywhere?

Marc
dw
Seanchaidh

#24 Post by dw »

Dan,

Thanks. Glad to do it. Besides, I've already been promised that the new women's dorm at the HCC Institute of Shoemaking will be named after me...along with a number of oil paintings in the sleeping quarters with punched out eyes and a walkway behind. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#25 Post by dw »

The only thing I have is on the title page--it says:

[center]fifth impression
CROSBY LOCKWOOD and SONS