sewing machines

Share secrets, compare techniques, discuss the merits of materials--eg. veg vs. chrome--and above all, seek knowledge.
angel
Full Name: Angel Barcelo

Re: sewing machines

#926 Post by angel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:26 pm

the other one
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2016-01-19 a la(s) 23.11.30.png
Captura de pantalla 2016-01-19 a la(s) 23.11.30.png (150.05 KiB) Viewed 448 times

Arttu
Full Name: Arttu Kuisma
Been Liked: 2 times

#927 Post by Arttu » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:42 am

I finally got around to fixing the Pfaff 193-5 I posted about 2 years ago (photos on previous page). I had to adjust the hook clearance (the hook was hitting the needle) and while doing that, I threw off the timing.

Does anyone know the timing settings for older Pfaff post bed machines?

Right now I have it at: hook tip passing the needle when the needle is 2mm up from the bottom dead center and 1mm between the hook tip and the top of the needle eye. The hook tip is barely clearing the needle, but not hitting.

This seems to work, but if someone knows the "correct" timing set up, it would be reassuring to compare those to mine.

mmiel
Full Name: Maya Miel

#928 Post by mmiel » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Hello all,
I've recently come across an opportunity to take a look at a handful of machines that are up for sale in my area. I've yet to see the machines in person, but have been sent photos of a number of the pieces available. One machine, in particular, I'm quite curious about, and wondered if you all might have any info on it. It's very hard for me to tell from the picture whether it is a McKay style stitching machine, or a nailer. I'm attaching the picture, and would be curious to learn the maker/model if anyone knows. I'd love to have a McKay around...and welcome any advice on specific machines and/or pitfalls I should look out for when looking over a potential purchase.

auto-soler

Thanks kindly,
maya

dw
Seanachaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 39 times
Been Liked: 3 times

#929 Post by dw » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't use these kinds of machines...but in the dim past I did. From what I can see that's a McKay. The presser foot gives it away. IIRC, Auto-soler did make more than nailing machines. But whether it is a lock-stitch machine or the more common chain-stitch machine, I don't know.
DWFII--HCC Member
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.