Schools

Looking for someone to make a particular style of boot? Need a mentor? Post a notice here.
homeboy
Full Name: Jake Dobbins
Has Liked: 111 times
Been Liked: 30 times

Re: Schools

#76 Post by homeboy »

As I entered, I couldn't help but notice the familiar bench. The shop was neatly organized and well lit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
What one man has done....another can do.
homeboy

#77 Post by homeboy »

And then......I was pleasantly reassured to find the stories twernt true. These two creatures are some of the nicest people you'll ever want to meet! Say hello to D.W. & Randee Frommer. I love them both!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
homeboy

#78 Post by homeboy »

Ok...let's get down to schooling. Of course, we all know how to begin: the last comes first!
Let's see if we can fit Jake's 7 EEE potato-shaped foot into something with style......pretty hard job!
homeboy

#79 Post by homeboy »

Of course we need some leather for a blocker.
homeboy

#80 Post by homeboy »

And with Dee-Dubb.....he crimps EVERYTHING! So we need some new crimp boards and start crimping. There's a very good reason to crimp though, right?
homeboy

#81 Post by homeboy »

Waxed ends were fabricated.......
homeboy

#82 Post by homeboy »

Insoles were prepared.....
homeboy

#83 Post by homeboy »

Leather cut to patterns......
homeboy

#84 Post by homeboy »

Everything sewn together......looking like a shoe!
homeboy

#85 Post by homeboy »

Lasted and wrapped......
homeboy

#86 Post by homeboy »

This pic out-of-sequence.......sorry! Anyway, only a leather toe box (stiffener) for D.W. This one is beginning to take shape.
homeboy

#87 Post by homeboy »

Let's get'er inseamed.........
homeboy

#88 Post by homeboy »

Heel seat tight with Hasluck......
homeboy

#89 Post by homeboy »

Stitching 10 spi........first for me........
homeboy

#90 Post by homeboy »

Something a little extra......also a first for me.
Custom made top lift.....another first.
homeboy

#91 Post by homeboy »

And so we end our journey with a glance of our endeavor. I am totally enthusiastic with them. Mistakes.....you bet, there's many. But D.W. has provided me with the knowledge and techniques toward that endless struggle for the "perfect" pair. These shoes fit me PERFECTLY! Concerning style.....well, for a 7 EEE.....I'm happy, and that's all that matters.

By the way, this pic is after I arrived back home and had worn the shoes for awhile. As you can see, celebration was in the air!

D.W. has some final pics before I tried the shoes on. He can post a pic if he would like.

I would like to take this time to publicly Thank D.W. and Randee. Totally worth my time and expense for the course. Hospitality unmatched! Felt like I was at home. God Bless You & Family!

And for the newbies and the young at heart, I'll be posting something later concerning my thoughts about schooling and advanced techniques.

Thank You! Hope you enjoyed it.
Jake
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#92 Post by dw »

Och, laddie the only thing in that picture that seems a bit out of place is the bourbon--you know what you gotta do.

:wink_smile:

Thanks for all the kudos. today I are a veteran (as well wishers and thankers have reminded me) I guess I could have taken the day off but I told Randee that the last three weeks was so relaxing I didn't need it.

Anyway...a great big hippy howdy to you, homey.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
homeboy

#93 Post by homeboy »

I'm not a moderator nor a member of the board, just a due paying member of this organization. So the following words are just from a mostly silent observer who's been around a few years. I hope they can help in some small way to those coming up through the trenches trying to find a way to make it in this trade. This is my only intention.

Concerning schools, apprenticeships, and such, I’ve sat on the sidelines for the past few years and watched amusingly. It baffles the mind to watch students giving money to people to attend a seminar, class, or course when there’s a group attending the same time slot. Good old country boy logic would indicate the instructor is more concerned on making money than turning out good students.

Does anyone here believe a student will receive the same amount of instruction when the class is filled with 5, 6, maybe 7 other people compared to only one? Years ago I only knew of one instructor willing to teach a class in footwear. I attended the class with 7 other students. I received an indoctrination into footwear, but that was about it. I guess you could say it was a starting point. Then I found D.W. Frommer. ONE ON ONE. It’s always been one on one. Never putting money before comprehensive, historical, individual guidance. That’s when I began to really learn. Sitting knee to knee watching and listening with no other person competing for his time.

Case in point….I was given complete control of what I wanted to learn in my recent seminar. Many, many advanced techniques were requested. Techniques which takes time and guidance. It required working longer hours, even a half day on a particularly beautiful Sunday. Not a quibble or a complaint was observed, but only an eagerness to teach and to convey skills that have taken over 40 years to obtain. People……that’s the kind of mentor you are seeking.

Now some will say….hell, that’s just Jake sounding off for his good buddy. But most who know me and those who think things through will know I’m speaking from the heart. I want ALL students who have a desire to learn, to receive the best start money can buy.

So if you’re wanting to find a mentor or school which puts guidance before the all mighty dollar, give me a hollar and we’ll talk. I believe I can help.
dw
Seanchaidh

#94 Post by dw »

It's a bit awkward to respond but there's a few minor things I want to add.

First, I had nothing to do with Jake's decision to post this. I am proud to have helped him and I appreciate the kind remarks. More than that, though, I am gratified that he has taken the time to observe and think about these issues and has come to the conclusions that he has.

That said, I think it is the student who often determines what, and how much, is learned.

My teacher was a really rough old cob (I'm mild mannered by comparison)--he was neither articulate nor gentle. Yet I learned from him. My experiences with him are not unusual. I can think of several members of the Guild who had teachers that were similar if not worse.

[Maybe when you get on in years, and start worrying about buying green bananas; maybe when you've seen so many who are not serious; you get a bit impatient--you get to feeling you need to get back to doing something productive.]

But when a student comes in who is really avid and eager to learn; who listens; who wants to hear what the teacher has to say; it's like being a guitarist in front of an audience that is "into it." There is two-way feedback--energy and enthusiasm running like a current between the both parties.

In a very real sense, the student-teacher relationship is just that--a relationship, a personal relationship. You may forget your first teacher, but you'll never forget the teacher who takes the time to inspire you.

I have always been "one-on-one" because it is my experience and belief that inspiration is not a plate of cookies to be set out and passed around. If it were, some people would get three and some get none.

Maybe I am not as "big" as other individuals--there is only so much of me to go around. Even if everyone in a group gets a piece, it's not the whole me--it's not even close to what I have to offer and even less so to what the student paid for and, most importantly, what I owe him.

It's a good discussion and well worth thinking about--what the student must bring to the relationship...what the teacher owes the student.

But to come back to where we started--in that "ideal' relationship, if the student gets everything he needs, maybe even more...if he's inspired...it's not because he demands it or even because he deserves it, but because inspiration is a two way street.

Thank you, Jake.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
homeboy

#95 Post by homeboy »

Awkward maybe, but eloquently said. You're right! It is a two-way street.

I appreciate your input!

:tiphat: Jake
dw
Seanchaidh

#96 Post by dw »

homeboy wrote:Awkward maybe, but eloquently said. You're right! It is a two-way street.

I appreciate your input!

:tiphat: Jake
Only awkward because you are so generous and kind to me in your remarks. I'm redfaced :blush:

Maybe the "cantankerous, old troll" devouring innocents persona suits me better.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram