Schools

Looking for someone to make a particular style of boot? Need a mentor? Post a notice here.
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

Schools

#1 Post by admin »

All messages posted prior to 25 February 2002 have been moved to the first Crispin Colloquy CD Archive. Those interested in obtaining a copy of this CD need to contact admin@thehcc.org

Admin--07 May 2002
Heather Thomson

Re: Schools

#2 Post by Heather Thomson »

I imagine that you get asked this question a lot, but I am really interested in classes or instruction of some sort in making boots and shoes. Is there a way to find out if there is anyone near my area who does this sort of work. I've looked all over the internet and tried phoning a few people, so far no luck. I live in Glaslyn, Saskatchewan, Canada. Help!!
jake
Full Name: Jake

#3 Post by jake »

Welcome Heather!

If you're really interested, then you'll go to them, no matter where they live. Hate to put it so firm, but that's the way I see it. To find someone who is not only talented in boot/shoe making, but talented/interested in teaching in your geographical area would be extremely rare indeed.

Most makers specialize in a certain area. Not that they can't make boots & shoes, but they will concentrate on one or the other.

Personally, I would find someone who's work I really admire. Then, if you're lucky, they are interested in teaching. After that, it's just making arrangements to attend a seminar (class).

There are some tapes and books available, if attending a class is out of the question.

I do have some "personal" opinions if you would like to contact me privately.

As to boot/shoe makers in Canada, I can't help you in that area.
queen47ca
Full Name: Mary

#4 Post by queen47ca »

Jake I am also new to the shoe making business. Several years ago I bought a book by Mary Loomis about making shoes but this was not really the type of construction I want. I would appreciate it if you could give me the names of books or tapes that you said were available.
jake

#5 Post by jake »

Hi Mary,

Concerning tapes, D.W. Frommer has a set that is the next best thing to sitting beside him. It's a 14 tape instruction on making a pair of four piece western boots. It's the most complete tutorial I've ever seen. Everything from measuring the customer to instructions on where to cut your patterns on the hide. You can contact him at http://www.bootmaker.com

D.W. also has books for making packers and the four piece western boot I descibed above.

If attending a course in person is out of the question, I would definitely recommend the video series.

Feel free to contact me personally if you have any more questions.

Take care!
jake

#6 Post by jake »

Mary,

I'm sorry, I guess I avoided the "shoe" making question. To my knowledge, there are no books or tapes available in that area. Maybe Al Saguto or Dan Freeman can step in and help me out in this area.

Dick Anderson had a friend that at one time was selling a video series on making shoes, but he retired. Maybe Dick has some information on the where-abouts of Denis.
dick_anderson
Full Name: Dick Anderson

#7 Post by dick_anderson »

Mary

Dennes is sort of retired. As far as I know he still has tapes for sale on making shoes. His number is 530-549-4613 and lives near Redding, CA. He is planning to attend the show at Larry Waller's this fall in Wisconsin close the the IL border.
Georgene Mckim

#8 Post by Georgene Mckim »

Mary, I carried Mary Loomis' book around for 20 years before learning how to make shoes according to professional standards at a hands on seminar at ShoeSchool.com in Washington State which is doable from your location in California. They also have a CD format set of classes. This course features cement construction which is more shoe-oriented than the techniques bootmakers use.
Georgene
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#9 Post by lancepryor »

Mary:

You may already know of it, but the book by Laszlo Vass, "Handmade Shoes for Men", has some decent information, though it is certainly not a complete how to. I think it is available on e-bay for around $10.
queen47ca

#10 Post by queen47ca »

Georgene, I found the web site for ShoeSchool in Washington. I wanted some information about the school because as you said I thought that would be a reasonable place for me to start. However I am having computer problems and every time I click on the link to print the registration and check fees, etc. it hangs up my computer and I have to reboot. Do you by any chance have an address for them?
queen47ca

#11 Post by queen47ca »

Dick, thanks for the phone number for Dennes. I plan to call him tomorrow.

Mary
Georgene McKim

#12 Post by Georgene McKim »

Mary (and others) you can email Alan Zerobnick, the owner of ShoeSchool.com at Alan@shoeschool.com
The phone/Fax is 360-385-6164.

Address: ShoeSchool.com P.O. Box 1349 Port Townsend, Washington 98368 This is in the Seattle Area--that's the airport you fly into.

Happy shoemaking!
Georgene
darren hawkins

#13 Post by darren hawkins »

i am interseted in learning bootmaking ani i cannot attend classes i seen an ad for video tapes by or for sale by wilson gracey on the subject of shoe or boot making and various other subjects does any one know how good these videos are
terry

#14 Post by terry »

I'm thinking about making shoes and moccasins as a hobby. I bought the book "The Make-It-Yourself Shoe Book" by Christine Lewis Clark.

After reading the book, I tried to look up some shoe finding places to buy tools, leather supply, solings etc. but haven't really seen any web retailers that cover all the bases.

Any recommendations as to web sites to look at for shoe findings, leather, etc.

I also noticed someone said they thought it best if you can find a shoemaker as mentor. Anyone interested in answering questions or helping out a newbie shoemaker?

I live in Duxbury, Massachusetts.

-- Terry
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#15 Post by admin »

Terry,

Welcome to the Crispin Colloquy. This Forum exists primarily to answer questions and to collect and archive techniques for future generations of shoe and bootmakers.

The best advice anyone can give you is to find a person close to you that you can learn from in hands-on training. But short of thatif that's not possible, if you can't locate a "live" mentor, you are perfectly welcome...encouraged, even...to ask questions. Most of the time someone will be glad to jump in and answer them.

The CC is a tremendous repository of knowledge...all you have to do is tap into it. I would venture to say that there is a discussion about almost every aspect of boot or shoemaking somewhere on the forum. You could almost, with patience and determination, learn everything you need to know right here.

There's two ways to approach this...you can start reading...systematically running through the archives that are online and the active threads and then you can move on to the Archive CD which contains over 10,000 posts from the first four (?) years of the Crispin Colloquy's existence.

And then, as I say, you can ask questions...just be a bit circumspect about which topic or subtopic you post your question in...you'll get better responses if the question seems appropriate to the topic.

So...anyway...again welcome and if you run into difficulties let me know
cressonl

#16 Post by cressonl »

Terry,
Sharon Raymond's book and web site: SimpleShoemaking.com is a better place to start with what you would like to learn.
Regards,
Lisa
Sharon

#17 Post by Sharon »

Greetings Terry, If I can be of help, (I also live in Massachusetts)please feel free to email me, Best wishes, Sharon
cressonl

#18 Post by cressonl »

Hi - I am looking for a last measuring sticks, toe spring measuring block, heel measuring block and also the strange caliper that measures the curve at the top of the last toe.

Thanks!
Lisa
paul winthrop

#19 Post by paul winthrop »

I have a fully equipped shoe repair shop. I am looking for a teacher or mentor to learn boot making from i would be willing to allow the use of my shop for teaching purposes. the person who wants to do this must be fully qualified in the use of all machines. please reply to. Paul B. Winthrop C/O First Quality Shoe Repair 315 Broadway Revere,Mass.02478 shop 781 4850411 home 6174843219
GlenLeasure

#20 Post by GlenLeasure »

Hi folks

I've been making shoes for at least twenty years and also teach shoemaking classes in my home in Virginia. I also am willing to go other places but need my expenses covered. I specialize in shoes and boots that are healthy for your feet ie. no high fashion, high heels but practical for everyday use. You can learn more about me by visiting my website at
www.healthyhandmadeshoes.com

Hope this is helpful. Please spread the word for I am very willing to teach my craft to anyone. You can also call me at 540-463-4493. My workshop is in my home so you can call just about anytime, even the weekends.

Glen Leasure
jared

#21 Post by jared »

Actually I am have just become very interested in shoe and boot making and design. I have a love for shoes and design and I think I would do very well. what is the best school for this?
ps I am willing to go anywhere.
Lisa Cresson

#22 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Hi Paul,
How are you -- thank you for sharing the manuals and military documentation a few months back!
Lisa
siskiyou

#23 Post by siskiyou »

Looking for mentor/teacher/tutor.

I'm looking for a mentor/teacher/tutor for shoemaking. I have been making sandals for about two years and now want to learn how to make a shoe over a last and how to change the shape of existing lasts using cork (for different toe box shapes).

I am working out of my garage with a fairly simple set-up. So far all of my soles are molded by hand and glued in layers including low heels. I just added a Singer 29k70 that I found cheap and am learning to use it just by playing around. I am for now only interested in making the shoes for myself, but may at somepoint want to go beyond that.

As a profession I am a designer/patternmaker/seamstress of clothing, I also teach all of those topics at a college level. Hence I have a good background from which to start! My design studio is complete with industrial machines which I am very comfortable using.

I have been making shoe patterns on an old last that doesn't fit me just for practice. I tend towards unusual styles similar to Cydwoq handmade shoes from LA. (www.cydwoq.com)

I am able to travel within 100 miles or so of Portland, Oregon, and can take short chunks of time to learn (3-4 days at a time).

Does anyone know anyone who might be willing to teach me some basics just to get me started? I'm the type that once I have a start I fly!

Thanks so much,
Terri

p.s. I have done a search of the archives under "teaching" "learning" etc., but not found anything that fits my specific need. (I am aware of shoeschool.com) I have also been reading the posts for sometime now, not posting anything myself, just trying to absorb!
Lisa Cresson

#24 Post by Lisa Cresson »

Look up Bill Shaynor.

He has been only gracious on the phone with me. He makes western boots, shoes for men, and moccasin type footwear molded around the foot. He is a good fitter and know lasted footwear. I think he might have once said he took his first footwear course with Randy Merrell.
marcell

#25 Post by marcell »

I would like to announce that I keep a handmade shoemaking course in Sweden this summer. If anyone is interested to join, please drop me a few lines by mail. We have already a few places booked, but still some left.

On the training you can learn how to make goiser sewn shoe (maybe - if we have time - I can show some tricks about English sewn shoemaking, which can be very useful for western boot, custom made dress shoes). I hope I can meet some people from here as well.

I plan to make this training regulary, First part in Sweden, second in Hungary and the third in the States.