New Ebay auctions

Looking for a particular tool? Got tools or goods you want to exchange? Maybe you want to set up a consortium for an order to Barnsley or Bakers...there's a booth at the Faire. One caveat applies...pricing and price negotiations must take place in private email.
damocles
Full Name: Paul Gilbert Baswell

Re: New Ebay auctions

#26 Post by damocles »

I'm looking for a vary cheep post bed sewing machine or even a hand treadle. it can be old i don't do much work its just a hobby for me i need a new top stitcher. any one know were i can get one for under 500. i know thats not allot of money but its all i can afford. o and it has to have its own power unit i don't know a lick about electrical work i just want to plug it in and sew
damocles

#27 Post by damocles »

I'm looking for a vary cheep post bed sewing machine or even a hand treadle. it can be old i don't do much work its just a hobby for me i need a new top stitcher. any one know were i can get one for under 500. i know thats not allot of money but its all i can afford. o and it has to have its own power unit i don't know a lick about electrical work i just want to plug it in and sew
damocles

#28 Post by damocles »

sorry for the dubble post
tibthebear
Full Name: Tibere Benoist d'Anthenay

#29 Post by tibthebear »

for the tool vultures, here is a little trick.

go to www.ebay.fr and type "outil cordonnier"
or "outil sellier" which means (cordwainer/saddler tools in french).
Some tools are more common there such as the
"crab laster". There is also less competition for bidding it seems.

I suppose you can do the same on other ebays in other languages.
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#30 Post by jon_g »

Hi Folks,

I've recently found a few gems on ebay tool auctions, so I think I should share one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-VGC-No4-Leatherworking-Cobblers-Pliers-by-J-RO HRBECK-GARANTIE-Old-Tool-/230899030983?pt=UK_Collectable_ToolsHasdware_RL&hash=i tem35c2a79bc7

The same seller has a pair of bulldog pliers listed as well.
jon_g

#31 Post by jon_g »

bdadamovicz
Full Name: blake dustin adams

#32 Post by bdadamovicz »

I've been watching these. I'm really interested because this seller has a number of lasting pincers he's been selling the last few weeks. The most expensive pair he had that sold were these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-VGC-No4-Leatherworking-Cobblers-Pliers-Oval-HAD- Logo-Old-Tool-/230904629481?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&nma= true&si=nKFhPUbcAtGq63YEeB6PK2K9nWo%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc For about $115 US. For some reason right now in England or at least on UK eBay German lasting pincers are selling for $95-105 regularly.

BDA
jon_g

#33 Post by jon_g »

I'm always curious about how many of us are watching the same auctions. Sometimes I don't like to post auctions in case someone loses out on a great price because of it.

I bought one of the pairs this seller listed in late January, with narrow jaws, they're excellent. It felt like they arrived in days too.

Personally I much prefer lasting pliers with curved jaws.
bdadamovicz

#34 Post by bdadamovicz »

You can pretty much guarantee that if it's on eBay somewhere, looks good, and starts off at a good price I'm watching it.
brooklyn_edie
Full Name: Brooklyn_edie

#35 Post by brooklyn_edie »

I stop bidding if I see other bidders on items that I don't really need that much. Because I assume that many of us are probably bidding on the same item, I just don't want to up the cost for my colleagues.

On the other hand... if it's something I really want, of course I go nuts. It worked for me recently when I won nice looking crab lasters. And I really appreciated the few bidders on the auction.

Thanks guys
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#36 Post by courtney »

Yeah, I think this is a nice idea, but kind of blows it for the people that are already watching the item and drives up the price.

Courtney
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#37 Post by dw »

Between the people who are getting into shoemaking and esp. the people who are collectors of one sort or another...it's too late. The secret is already out. No more Barnsely or Christiansen bulldogs for $25.00.

Sad but true. If you respect the tool you'll probably have to pay for it.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member

[center]Little Jack Dandiprat in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives, the shorter he grows.[/center]
farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#38 Post by farmerfalconer »

If you dont mind me asking...

What are Barnsely and Christiansen bulldogs?

Thanks,
Cody
brooklyn_edie

#39 Post by brooklyn_edie »

Courtney, you misunderstood me.

The whole point of me 'not' bidding on stuff that isn't essential for me is to 'not' drive up the price. It's only for the items I really want that I'll go for... cause I want them.

Cody
Both DW and JD posted pics of the bulldogs on January 23, 2002... I'm gonna guess you weren't quite crazy about shoemaking yet:
http://www.thehcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1967&p=8400#p8400

Since I know you'll ask... read DW's post for what they are for.

DW is right. I've been looking for one of those for a while, they're hard to find and sometimes go for $$$.

Have a good weekend all
courtney

#40 Post by courtney »

Edie, I wasnt saying anything to you directly, I was just saying this sub-forum might help get more people bidding on the same item.

Courtney
courtney

#41 Post by courtney »

bdadamovicz

#42 Post by bdadamovicz »

Yeah, I sent that link to somebody this morning. I'm wondering if they thought the price was high. This is only the second pair of crimping pincers I've seen in 1.5 years of watching eBay, though not all of that time have I watched it so thoroughly.
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#43 Post by das »

Though they may be useful for crimping, it¡¦s a modern adaptive use. The "adjustable" (collapsible) lasting pincers were designed for shank-lasting in the waist according to the patent (Hayden's Shank Lasters q.v. in Salaman's Dictionary.)

At these prices I thiink I'm going to retire in style when that day comes and I start Ebaying tools Image
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#44 Post by romango »

Those are some handsome pliers! The price is a bit steep but someone should get them!
brooklyn_edie

#45 Post by brooklyn_edie »

I was looking at those when they came up for auction. Yes... at that price I am out, and surprised it's not a bidding item... it's just a "buy it now".

Al, I'm glad you described the use a bit... I was 6 inches from the screen studying them trying to figure out what they're for.

Edie
farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#46 Post by farmerfalconer »

Thanks Edie,
Your right. I wasnt into shoemaking. I was 6 Image

Cody
bdadamovicz

#47 Post by bdadamovicz »

Here's something not seen everyday and this fellow has a few of them. Problem is he's in France and shipping isn't cheap, but 35euro or less for a last knife doesn't seem like a bad price to me.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/n-7-outil-ancien-paroir-forge-de-sabotier-SOUEF-A-COUTRAS-/25 1187976770?pt=FR_JG_Art_Objets_XXeme&hash=item3a7bf85a42#ht_500wt_1048

http://cgi.ebay.fr/n-6-outil-ancien-paroir-forge-de-sabotier-/370695399517?pt=FR _JG_Art_Objets_XXeme&hash=item564f2ae85d#ht_500wt_1048

http://cgi.ebay.fr/n-3-outil-ancien-paroir-forge-de-sabotier-/370695395270?pt=FR _JG_Art_Objets_XXeme&hash=item564f2ad7c6#ht_500wt_1048

http://cgi.ebay.fr/n-8-outil-ancien-paroir-forge-de-sabotier-/370695405917?pt=FR _JG_Art_Objets_XXeme&hash=item564f2b015d#ht_500wt_1048

This same seller also has what looks like some tools for carving out the inside of clogs but I only opened up one of them and it showed as not shipping world wide. Still for all you last carvers or clog makers out there this could be a buy.

BDA
islandpiper
Full Name: Keith Davis

#48 Post by islandpiper »

I'm about to put this heel shaver (?) on eBay. What sort of price should i start at or expect to finish? thanks…….

Unless one of you real shoemakers wants it first.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#49 Post by dw »

There are a bunch of circa 1950's square awls on EBay right now, German made, 24 and 36 pc. packs...S math sin good prices, too.

3" square awls

2" square awls

3.5" square awls

2.25" square awls
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.