Selma Juncoff's Auction Emporium (Ebay )

Looking for a particular tool? Got tools or goods you want to exchange? Maybe you want to set up a consortium for an order to Barnsley or Bakers...there's a booth at the Faire. One caveat applies...pricing and price negotiations must take place in private email.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Selma Juncoff's Auction Emporium (Ebay )

#1 Post by dw »

All,

There's a brand new, in the box, Fortuna V50K skiver, over on Ebay with a very low starting price. There is a reserve but who knows, this could go very reasonable.

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1765570859

Thanks to Richard Gelstin for that tip.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
dw
Seanchaidh

Re: Selma Juncoff's Auction Emporium (Ebay )

#2 Post by dw »

To all,

FYI...Ebay currently has an auction item that may be of interest--the four volume set The Modern Boot and Shoe Maker, published 1919 . The seller is in London and the auction is in British pounds Sterling but the price is really really reasonable...at this point.

I have this set and although I prefer Golding (eight volumes) it is worth having if you've a mind to collect shoe and bootmaking literature. the's a lot of information that can be gleaned from these old texts.

The link is [url=cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3551193713&category=12570]item 3551193713[/url]

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC}

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
erickgeer

#3 Post by erickgeer »

I found this machine on ebay, it's set up left to right - something I had been thinking about for sewing in Vamps - you could have the boot tops out to the right of the head. I just aquired a new sewing machine, otherwise I would be interested.
The seller doesn't say who the maker is, but the picture is not reversed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3801810496&category=26256

Erick
dw
Seanchaidh

#4 Post by dw »

Erick,

One man's opinion, OK? These type of machines have limited usage in boot and shoemaking particularly where you have to sew in more than one direction. Inside a cylinder shape, like a boot, you can't do much except sew around the cylinder (leg). Sewing around a complex shape like a tongue is nearly impossible. Give me a post machine any day over a cylinder arm machine.

Maybe someone else has a different experience?

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

frommer@bootmaker.com
http://www.bootmaker.com

"Little Jack Dandiprat, in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives the shorter he grows."
erickgeer

#5 Post by erickgeer »

My interest in a machine like this is basically, with the bulk of the head on the left, the boot top won't be banging into the machine. Of course I will take a post over a cyllinder, any day. The set up of that machine alleviates a problem that I have had with every sewing machine I've ever used - flat, post or cyllinder. If I found a post machine with a roller foot, head oriented left to right, I would be very happy.

Erick
dw
Seanchaidh

#6 Post by dw »

Erick,

Understood...hey! if you ever find a machine like that, let me know--especially if she's got a sister! Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

frommer@bootmaker.com
http://www.bootmaker.com
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#7 Post by das »

Erick,

That "lefty" cylinder arm is a must for doing the top of the counter and sides of the vamp-wings in English riding boots, or closed boots of that construction, e.g. back-straps, ["Engineer", "biker" boots for example], for the reason you observed--the partially assembled leg goes off to the right--not crammed up the arm. I'm still too sleepy this AM to recall the Singer class # on these lefties, but I have one myself, and it's just a little beefier than the usual right-hand versions--will go through heavier material and takes heavier thread [when wanted].

If you are contemplating making back-strapped riding boots, or others of that type, I think it would be very worthwhile. For cowboy boots, as DW says, a post machine will got you into/out of most places.
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#8 Post by paul »

Actually,

I was thinking the same thing Al. The Tejas boot would be easier to sew on this type of machine, wouldn't it? I have been wondering how to stitch the counter and vamp-wings, as you call them, on a post machine that doesn't allow room for a boot higher than 10" or 12".
It appears the question would be, would it be able to sew with 69 or 46 size thread?
PK
erickgeer

#10 Post by erickgeer »

I found this item on e-bay, the seller thinks that it is a guide for placing and trimming pegs on heels, looks interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3284509968&category=1461

Erick
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#11 Post by das »

Erick,

Those are the first I ever seen. From the shape of the heel section, and the placement of the guide-holes, I'd guess they'd be c.1900. For nails(?) rather than pegs(?). Maybe the squeeze handles are a "release", rather than a cutter. IOW, load it up with heel-nails, hold it on the work, beat, press, or otherwise start the nails, squeeze the handles to release, then lift off the tool, and drive the nails home. Somewhat along the lines of the old fashioned "heel wheels". I'm just guessing. Looks cool.
erickgeer

#12 Post by erickgeer »

walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#13 Post by walrus »

Hi Erick
This is a tool used to adjust the arch in a shoe notice the heel and the arch shape of the top form thats back when they had steel shanks.I am 98% sure .LOL
Larry
erickgeer

#14 Post by erickgeer »

That makes sense. I know a lot of people that would still like those to be used - if that's what it's for.
Have they really gone so far as to not use steel shanks in mass produced shoes? I took apart a pair of Doc Martins several years ago and was surprised that it had what looked like a bamboo shank in it, but I still find metal shanks in other stuff I take apart - They're installed like junk, but it's still metal.

Erick
dw
Seanchaidh

#15 Post by dw »

Dear Cordwainers

Well I've finally retired and have started selling off my extra tools on eBay. Check it out. If you know anybody who needs what's up. Let them know. I'd appreciate it.

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Baileywicke_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

I've just begun and will let you know every so often when I've added another bunch.

John
dw
Seanchaidh

#16 Post by dw »

All,

Sorry, the previous post was supposed to have been posted by "proxy" for John Bailey. Software glitch.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
erickgeer

#17 Post by erickgeer »

I just saw these lasting pliers on ebay - I've never seen this configuration before:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1461&item=6161967462&rd=1 &ssPageName=WDVW

Erick
uncle_bob

#18 Post by uncle_bob »

A book "Massive Book" on patterns and designs from around 1876? in Dutch or Swedish? Very interesting stuff. i'll be posting this on ebay in about a week, if anyones interested, blip me an email from my name link and I'll send you a notification once posted.
ImageImageImageImageImage
uncle_bob

#19 Post by uncle_bob »

A book "Massive Book" on patterns and designs from around 1876? in Dutch or Swedish? Very interesting stuff. i'll be posting this on ebay in about a week, if anyones interested, blip me an email from my name link and I'll send you a notification once posted. The Goldings Volume V is for size reference only, not for sale yet! It includes 24 full size, hand cut patterns, The book has a cover page, 4 pages of txt and 19 pages of illustrations with 64 full figures "illustrations" of size patterns, lasts, designs, measurements, etc.
3520.jpg
3521.jpg
3522.jpg
3523.jpg
3524.jpg

(Message edited by Uncle Bob on March 12, 2005)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cmw
Full Name: Chris
Been Liked: 1 time

#20 Post by cmw »

Bob

The book is Old Danish or possibly Norwegian

Our hand shoemaking-The Grundrids system

Let me know if you need somehelp with anything

CW
erickgeer

#21 Post by erickgeer »

Someone is listing a Fortuna type Skiver on E-Bay, here is the auction number: 8177832546

Say's it's here in Chicago.

Erick
uncle_bob

#22 Post by uncle_bob »

Shoe Related Books going up on ebay!
uncle_bob

#23 Post by uncle_bob »

Shoe Related Books going up on ebay!
3527.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uncle_bob

#24 Post by uncle_bob »

The Danish book is up! Item number: 8178139478 It just went up! Take care!
Bob
admin
Site Admin
Full Name: Admin
Has Liked: 1 time
Been Liked: 5 times

#25 Post by admin »

I would just like to comment and commend both Bob and Erick on their recent posts here in this thread. Posting "heads-up" notices about tools or books, or machines that are shoe or bootmaking related is a service that weall benefit from and that we can easily do for each other.

Sure, if you're interested in bidding on an item and don't want competition, you won't want to bandy it about. But if you're just cruisin' and happen to see something of interest, it's a generous thing to let everyone here know about it.

I hate to see this stuff go to collectors who will mount the items in a shadow box...never to be seen again...never to be used again. Especially when good tools are so hard to come by.

So again...thanks Bob, and thanks Erick and thank to anyone else who has or is inclined to share.

Emmett