Looking for...

Looking for a particular tool? Got tools or goods you want to exchange? Maybe you want to set up a consortium for an order to Barnsley or Bakers...there's a booth at the Faire. One caveat applies...pricing and price negotiations must take place in private email.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Looking for...

#1 Post by dw »

Anyone thinking of ordering from Barnsley? I'd either like to get a Buyer's Consortium together or piggy-back a small order of sewing awls onto someone's else's order.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
Eisele's Custom Boots

Re: Looking for...

#2 Post by Eisele's Custom Boots »

DW,
My son and daughter in-law are in England, and supposedly picking me up some tools.
When I find out the status, I will let you know.
Kevin
dw
Seanchaidh

#3 Post by dw »

Kevin,

Thanks...I hope it won't cause you too much trouble. I think I want some two and three-quarter to three inch sewing or heel awls. Truth to tell, I haven't bought them in a while and I don't remember what size I bought when I did. I'm just going by the pictures.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
Betty S.

#4 Post by Betty S. »

Hi! I am new here and am looking an internship or someone who could give me private instructions on making shoes. I am willing to travel to where you are. I have a bit of shoe-making experience, but not enough to start a business, what is what I want to do. So please, if you are looking for someone to help you out in your business (typing, filing, computer, cleaning) and are willing to teach me some thing, e-mail me ASAP!
tmick

#5 Post by tmick »

Hi, I'm looking for an insole stitcher with high horn for sewing riding boots. I'd like to get one with a horn of about 18-20".

I've talked with several shoe machine suppliers and the prices are astronomical!

I live in FL. so machines too far West might simply be to expensive to ship.

Thanks in advance for any info.
tmattimore

#6 Post by tmattimore »

only three machines have a horn that tall Fallon,DN, and Genevas. Unfortunaly they are all relatively new machines and are quite expensive if and when you find them. Your best bet may be to wait until one of the few factories left in North America close up. Until then you may try Hudson mach., Sloan shoe Mach., American Shoe Mach. or Pamco but expect no bargins.
Tom Mattimore
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#7 Post by das »

You also might consider an old Landis 88A, long-horn MacKay repairer's machine. It's a chain stitcher, which in my opinion is superior to lock stitching for that application, especially if you use sythentic threads, and bury them in a channel.

You ought to be able to find one of those for under $1,000.
tmick

#8 Post by tmick »

Regarding a tall horn McKay:
I've been looking for an 88A and hopefully eventually I'll find one. I've been warned against a DN and told that they are not very reliable but would like to get other opinions.

I've been quoted $5800 for a used Geneva - maybe I'll just take my family on a European vacation instead!

Thanks for your responses so far.
tmattimore

#9 Post by tmattimore »

D.A. I forgot about the 88a maybe because I have not seen one in a long time. One thing about a chain mckay is there are a lot less things to break or wear out. I have never run a DN so have no opinion but I did try a geneva once and it seemed like a user friendly machine. I had no idea they were getting that high.
Tom
sidetrack
Full Name: andreas josef

#10 Post by sidetrack »

Looking to buy a pair of Shank lasting pincers, can anyone put me on the trail to a pair of these?MAYBE?
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#11 Post by das »

Andreas,

I just saw a set on eBay yesterday--USMC I think. They were in a group of three other tools, under "cobbler tools". Check them out.
erickgeer

#12 Post by erickgeer »

As long as those items are being mentioned, one of the sets from that seller has a crab shank laster in it, does anyone have an opinion about them?
If you are looking for the USMC style shank lasters, they sell them through United Global Supply. Charlie Williams is the person there that I talked to recently - informed me that CS pierce is now part of them. Same catalog.

Erick
tmattimore

#13 Post by tmattimore »

I used to make crab shank lasters but sold the molds to a friend when I moved to Wyo. They can be useful on a heavy leather but I have always found that a good shank laster is faster. Also they can be troublesome on small narrow waisted lasts. Nowadays I only use my USM shank laster for a paper weight The old antiques have a much better angle on the spoon or lever. I think the USM ones are desgined for an upwards pull before using a side staple lasting machine.
Tom
sidetrack
Full Name: andreas josef

#14 Post by sidetrack »

Thanks Guy's for your input I really appreciate you helping me out. Seems like the little things in life are more enjoyable to me nowadays. Thanks for being there have a fine night!
tomo

#15 Post by tomo »

Hey Tom,
I got a pair of those USM lasters (although mine have Footwear Assosiated Products printed on the handle) from the proleptic Auction.
I've read the comments about them but wasn't too concerned. They look brand new and I figured that I could always turn a wooden handle, and reshape the tool by heating it with the gas and resetting the angle to suit.
I think you're right about the angle of the pull, I had wondered about that.
Have you got any comments or suggestions?
regards and more power to y'awl
Tom.
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#16 Post by danfreeman »

Can anybody help me find a Tina skiving knife? Gotz (sorry, no umlaut) seems to be history. I really like the #270 curved skiving knife, and mine's getting short. Is anyone carrying Gotz?
By the way, I recently bought a Champion 77 McKay--at $200, I couldn't resist. I love it--true, the chainstitch is feebler than the lock, and it won't sew heavy work, but it is very easy to use, and excellent for midsoles.
dw
Seanchaidh

#17 Post by dw »

Dan,

Why do you say Goetz is history? that's the first I've heard of it. They went through the German equivalent of bankruptcy some time ago, but I was under the impression that they were doing good now. I've always like the Tina 270, as well. I tried some Berg "fish" knives and really liked them, too. But, I push skive so I had to dull the blade and sharpen on the other side. When I did that, they worked fine.

You might try O. Baltor for either one...although, just betwen you and me...they tend to be a bit expensive all other things being equal.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

frommer@bootmaker.com
http://www.bootmaker.com

"Little Jack Dandiprat, in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives the shorter he grows."
dw
Seanchaidh

#18 Post by dw »

Dan,

PS...check out today's postings over in "Sources" > "Looking For..." Michael Ekhaus posted a web address for Goetz and Rusty Vallee contacted them via the 'Net and got a response 20 minutes later. They must still be in business and actively seeking sales. Either that or the janitor is doing a little moonlighting. Image

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

frommer@bootmaker.com
http://www.bootmaker.com

"Little Jack Dandiprat, in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives the shorter he grows."
erickgeer

#19 Post by erickgeer »

This is the e-mail I used to try to get a catalog from Goetz, they replied that they would forward my info to a distributor in North America.

info@goetz-gmbh.de

Erick

(edit) I hadn't noticed the e-mail link on the web site.
jake
Full Name: Jake

#20 Post by jake »

Erick/Rusty,

I emailed them about two weeks ago. They replied with a message stating a rep would get in touch with me. As of today, no such contact has been made.

So....keep us informed if anyone calls.
relferink

#21 Post by relferink »

All,

Goetz is a great company to deal with but for some reason they have assigned dealerships in the US and exclusively deal with those dealers. The one in my area is Frankford Leather in Philly. They claim to be able to get whatever Goetz sells but I find them unresponsive and customer service is something I’m still waiting for.

To get their great products you can do one of two things, contact them and say you are willing to pay the shipping for a catalog from Germany. Their dealers here are said to have the catalog but guard them as if they were solid gold. I have one that’s a couple of years old. The other thing is to go trough a non US distributor. The best way to find them is to contact the export manager from Goetz. I forgot his name but will look for it when I come home tonight. I met with him a couple of years ago, very nice guy and the level of service provided by their dealers here must cause him sleepless nights. I do have a fax number for their “export team” + 49 71 61 61 02 994.

On the Tina knifes I know euro international carries some of them. They are out of Florida www.eurointl.com and state that they have containers coming in from Germany on a weekly basis. I have seen some nice products from theme and I know they sell some knifes from Tina but do not have them listed as such on line.

Rob
jake

#22 Post by jake »

All,

I good friend informed me that Carl Chappell is a Goetz Dealer. Give him a call at 940-995-2901.
jake

#23 Post by jake »

Oh..... one more thing.

People have asked about curved sewing awls. Don't forget Dick Anderson is making them now. He'll hand craft them to your specifications.

You can reach him at: thornapple.boots@usa.net
danfreeman
Full Name: Dan Freeman

#24 Post by danfreeman »

Thank you all. Frankford Leather, whom I've dealt with for decades, has no Tina knives, but their people are in Germany now for a several-days visit with Goetz: they claim they'll have improved service & inventory soon. Baltor had the knives at about $22 each; high, but not too bad. I'll check the websites. Again, thanks.
cmw
Full Name: Chris
Been Liked: 1 time

#25 Post by cmw »

Dan

http://www.sl-online.dk/default.asp?Action=Details&Item=3979

This is a site in Denmark that has the knives in left and right hand models. It's all in Danish, but in the worst case scenario, I could try to help you with it if you can not find something easier or closer.

CW