Looking for...

Looking for a particular tool? Got tools or goods you want to exchange? Maybe you want to set up a consortium for an order to Barnsley or Bakers...there's a booth at the Faire. One caveat applies...pricing and price negotiations must take place in private email.
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

Re: Looking for...

#76 Post by dw »

I'm looking for a hand-crank splitter.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--HCC Member
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#77 Post by paul »

DW,

I know that at times in the past Ron Ross Saddlemaker has had them for sale.
http://www.rosaddlery.com/
Hope this helps.

Paul
franklin
Full Name: Franklin

#78 Post by franklin »

Does anyone know where I can get some apex staples? Thanks for your help.
donrwalker
Full Name: Donald Ross Walker

#79 Post by donrwalker »

I get mine from my finder. Intermountain Leather in Salt Lake City
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray
Been Liked: 1 time

#80 Post by jon_g »

I'm beginning the search for a finisher. It's time to get a little faster with my production. I'd love to find one in (eastern) Canada, but given the rarity of them I have an open mind.

Please send me a private message if you have one available or know where one might be found.

I'm thinking of a belt finisher with a trimmer.

Thanks.
romango
Full Name: Rick Roman
Been Liked: 8 times

#81 Post by romango »

Jon, finishers may not be as rare as you think. Let any leather stores or finders in your area know what you are looking for and you may be surprised.
jon_g
Full Name: Jon Gray

#82 Post by jon_g »

Thanks Rick, I am going to start putting the word out to my suppliers.

Unfortunately there are no leather stores or finders in Nova Scotia anymore.
trefor_owen
Full Name: Trefor Owen

#83 Post by trefor_owen »

Hopefully this is the correct place to put this message....
Some little time ago there was a thread on CLOGS and Clogmaking with videos of J. Atkinson becoming available on youtube etc....quite a few of you asked about getting knives made so I sorted out some photos of my knives with tape measures alongside to try to give an idea of sizes etc and was preparing to send them in when my machine died!
After what seems ages, a new machine was purchased and I was again preparing to send in these "technical" photos/details when a friend forwarded me notice of a sale on ebay uk site.. A set of clogmaking knives!

Now what really got to me was that these knives where in the US - IOWA!....and the seller had acquired them from a museum about 20yrs ago (according to the details supplied with the sale).
They are not made by any of the "known" knife makers and look like a local blacksmith copy of proper knives (a common occurence in rural areas of the UK) but a number of things intrigue me..
How come they are in the US?
How come a Museum was selling off artifacts?
Who is the questioner (E) who says they are trying to break into the trade?
And lots of other things come to mind, but what you really want is the sale reference numbers....

Under the title: Huge Antique 1800s Block Edge Bench Knife - Wooden Shoe Clog Makers Toll Rare with the item number of 181049449976 is the Block knife and the other two knives are itme numbers : 170963501520 and 181049481226
The prices quoted I think are excellent (as long as there is enough Tool Steel to sharpen to a cutting egde..)
GOOD LUCK and please put them to use now they have escaped from a display case whre they were doing no good!
Trefor
kemosabi
Full Name: Nat Ledbetter

#84 Post by kemosabi »

Iowa has a large population of Dutch, some of which are clog makers... Members of my extended family (in-laws) are among them.

Cheers,
-Nat

(Message edited by Kemosabi on January 08, 2013)
luckyduck

#85 Post by luckyduck »

I live in Dubuque and messaged the seller. Hopefully they will let me poke thru thier collection.

There are several private museums in the area that sometimes liquidate at a change of generations.

Paul
luckyduck

#86 Post by luckyduck »

I talked with Ray, the guy who has the clog carving tools. They are old, but in good shape. There are more than just the blocking knives and he knows what they are. He is a retired alter carver (like for churches) and as his partner is also retired they are having to clean out the shop.

Anyone in the US looking for the knives should definitely contact him. He was a tool collector all his life, I am going over to peruse the pliers with the hope of finding some crimping pliers.

If they don't sell on ebay, I'm going to pick them up for fun.

Paul
amuckart
Full Name: Alasdair Muckart
Been Liked: 5 times

#87 Post by amuckart »

If anyone on here does pick them up I'd really appreciate detailed pictures and measurements. I did see that the hollower is sold.
bdadamovicz
Full Name: blake dustin adams

#88 Post by bdadamovicz »

farmerfalconer
Full Name: Cody Howdy

#89 Post by farmerfalconer »

Im looking for a size 17-18 EEEE (a little moe or less not a problem) pait of lasts. They need to be wood for use at Old Salem. And if nobody has one does anyone know a source?

Thanks,
Cody
courtney
Full Name: courtney schamach

#90 Post by courtney »

Anyone have or no where to find tension assemblys and check spring for singer 45k25? I have tried pilgrim, melanie, toledo, campbell bosworth, lewiston, and a couple others,
i did find a needle plate.
I have the lower assmbly but its all rusted and missing the check spring.
The top tensioner is missing but the stud is there.

If I cant find these, is it crazy to frankenstien something together? the discs look the same as 31 class, the sewing mechanic that has my machine seems to think its very important to have the same spring etc.

Are there any clone parts that would work?

Courtney
courtney

#91 Post by courtney »

Does anyone have any singer 29-4 parts they might want to trade something for? I know I need a foot w/ a screw, bobbins, I'm not sure if it needs a shuttle, thread holder bar, needles, and a plate cover for the front where I guess you can move the balance wheel. It seems to want to work but I guess I wont know till I at least get a few parts. Let me know if you have anything and I'll see if I might have something you want?

Thanks,
Courtney
fclasse
Full Name: Francis Classe

#92 Post by fclasse »

Hi all - after sewing on some outsoles with square awls for the first time (and no, I didn't break one...yet =), I realized ought to get some additional larger square awls. I do have quite a number of very fine ones, and I'd be delighted to set up a trade for some larger awls, perhaps with a bit of cash, if that will sweeten things up. Do let me know if you're keen - the awls I have are on the far right in the picture (the smallest one) and the ones I'm looking for are similar to the two on the left. Thanks in advance!

Francis
das
Seanchaidh
Full Name: D.A. Saguto--HCC
Has Liked: 148 times
Been Liked: 126 times

#93 Post by das »

Francis,

If Edwin Hale still has his eBay "store" he sells these in the US for Colin Barnsley, Woodenware Repititions Co., in Sheffield UK, successors to George Barnsley & Sons the vaunted UK family toolmakers. The longer stitching awls should be easier to source than the tiny ones.
dw
Seanchaidh

#94 Post by dw »

fclasse wrote:

Francis
Each to his own of course, but if I had my druthers I'd prefer the smallest square awl over the largest. Maybe that's why the smallest ones are so hard to find. I have a small collection of all sizes but if I'm using the larger awls I usually have to refine--thin and narrow--the blade before I feel comfortable using them.

For me, at least, this is not an issue of the thread being tight or filling up the hole...although that is affected, for sure...but rather the crudeness of the hole relative to the width and substance of the welt. Most "outseaming" is done with threads that are 3-4 cords thick. The smallest of those awls pictured above will accommodate that weight of thread. But the larger the hole the harder it is to control the "lie" of the stitches.

Of course the substance of the outsole may make a difference but depending on how you channel it, probably not that much.

I'd say most of the square awls I use are 3" or maybe a little less but I definitely use the 2¼"-2½" as well. I esp. like them when sewing a beveled waist.

YMMV
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
lancepryor
Full Name: lance pryor
Been Liked: 3 times

#95 Post by lancepryor »

dw wrote:

I'd say most of the square awls I use are 3" or maybe a little less but I definitely use the 2¼"-2½" as well. I esp. like them when sewing a beveled waist.
DW:

Do you use the square awls for the waist portion of the beveled waist? It is my impression that, generally speaking, makers (at least in the UK) use in seaming awls, at say 6 spi, to sew the waist portion of a bevelled waist. I use an in seaming awl for this application, as I find the shape and length make it easier to control and emerge at the desired location (in the channel), and the larger holes easier to find when almost sewing blind up against the upper.

I use a smaller square awl as well, though I'm not totally sure of its length. When I spent time with Jim McCormick, I showed him the awl I had been using, and he said I should be using a smaller version. (OTOH, he said I should use a larger in seaming awl for in seaming.)

Lance
dw
Seanchaidh

#96 Post by dw »

lancepryor wrote:
DW:

Do you use the square awls for the waist portion of the beveled waist? It is my impression that, generally speaking, makers (at least in the UK) use in seaming awls, at say 6 spi, to sew the waist portion of a bevelled waist. I use an in seaming awl for this application, as I find the shape and length make it easier to control and emerge at the desired location (in the channel), and the larger holes easier to find when almost sewing blind up against the upper.

I use a smaller square awl as well, though I'm not totally sure of its length. When I spent time with Jim McCormick, I showed him the awl I had been using, and he said I should be using a smaller version. (OTOH, he said I should use a larger in seaming awl for in seaming.)

Lance
Lance,

I never thought of using an inseaming awl in the waist. Brilliant! :greatnotion:

I start out with a definite bias against outseaming with an inseaming or sewing awl in general, so when the time came to do the waist I just naturally went with a square awl, as well.

As for inseaming I learned using great honking long (and thick) inseaming awls but have, over the years, gradually moved to smaller awls. But as you said, there's a practical limit. I guess my inseaming awls are all in the 3" range, but as with the square awls, I tend to refine the points / blades before I use them anyway.
DWFII--HCC Member
Instagram
Without "good" there is no "better," without "better," no "best."
And without the recognition that there is a hierarchy of excellence in all things, nothing rises above the level of mundane.
fclasse
Full Name: Francis Classe

#97 Post by fclasse »

D.A.,

Thanks - I had spoken with Mr. Hale a while back, but I've been dithering hoping that someone might have a stash secreted away that they've been thinking of trading off. Hard to beat the quality, though.

DW,

I think that the blade tip size of the smaller awls is probably about right, but they are so delicate that I'd really like to get some slightly beefier ones until I get proficient enough to use them with confidence. Around 2 7/8" would probably be about perfect.

Francis
Adam
Full Name: Adam Jimenez

lasts and where to find them.

#98 Post by Adam »

hi folks,
I wonder if any one here has a lead on some lasts. I need one and a half to one and three quarter inch heel with a round toe. like for logging boots.
licere
Full Name: Peter Mikulecky
Been Liked: 6 times

Landis 5 in 1 OR Rodi 6 in 1

#99 Post by licere »

Hello All,

I'm looking for a used and functional (I understand that new blades may be necessary) Landis 5 in 1 or Rodi 6 in 1 benchtop cutter. Shipping would be to San Diego.

Thanks!

PJM
courtney

#100 Post by courtney »

Does anyone have a used vacuum press?