Looking for...

Looking for a particular tool? Got tools or goods you want to exchange? Maybe you want to set up a consortium for an order to Barnsley or Bakers...there's a booth at the Faire. One caveat applies...pricing and price negotiations must take place in private email.
erickgeer

Re: Looking for...

#26 Post by erickgeer »

I am trying to find a source for lasting stands. We are in very short supply at my school, as the number we have has mysteriously dropped over the years. I am not looking for inseaming jacks, just the simple 8 inch USM style.

Any help finding a supplier would be appreciated

Thanks,
Erick
dw
Seanchaidh
Full Name: DWFII
Has Liked: 204 times
Been Liked: 122 times

#27 Post by dw »

Erick,

I can't help you on this...I don't believe I've ever even seen a USM "lasting stand." But if you're *not* looking for an inseaming jack, and if you last sitting down, why not build a "lapjack?" All it takes is a pick handle cut to about knee length or a touch less, add a rubber shock pad on the wide end and a steel collar with a spindle on the narrow end. The jack is held between the arches off the maker's feet and the last is mounted on the spindle.

here's a photo...
3010.jpg

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

frommer@bootmaker.com
http://www.bootmaker.com

"Little Jack Dandiprat, in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives the shorter he grows."
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
erickgeer

#28 Post by erickgeer »

This picture might be a bit small:
3012.jpg

Our needs are pretty specific, we might use lap jacks if we were using a different space, but as it stands, we need these, or somthing like them. United global supply sells them, but I need to find alternative sources if I can.

Thanks,
Erick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dw
Seanchaidh

#29 Post by dw »

Erick,

Oh yeah, I have seen them. Never could figure out how they could be practical...but then I'm a bootmaker, not a shoemaker. Image

Not to quibble with your needs but each one of those takes up space on a bench...permanently. The lapjack can be stored away, out of the way...under the bench, in a corner, up on a shelf....when not in use.

And if you're using hinged lasts, the lapjack provides better support for the forepart while hammering or...whatever...simply because the knee supports the forepart.

Anyway, I still don't know where you'd get them...sorry. Image

Good luck....

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC

frommer@bootmaker.com
http://www.bootmaker.com

"Little Jack Dandiprat, in a white petticoat,
The longer he lives the shorter he grows."
mekhaus
Full Name: Mike

#30 Post by mekhaus »

Good morning all:

Here is a photo of a stand made from plumbing pipe.
It is attached it to a piece of wood and can be
clamp to a bench.
3014.jpg

Michael
erickgeer

#31 Post by erickgeer »

Mike,
How did you thread the rod on top? I did something very similar a while back, but I used threaded rod. It worked for a while, but after hammering a bunch, it bent - and then broke off when I broke the last.

Erick
mekhaus
Full Name: Mike

#32 Post by mekhaus »

I have a tap and die set. A very useful tool.
If using a bolt from a hardware store, I would
avoid hardware from Home Depot. If I am worried
about things breaking, I will use a grade 8 or
harder bolt.

Michael
walrus
Full Name: Larry Waller
Been Liked: 1 time

#33 Post by walrus »

Erick
I have a few of those I will check to see how many Give me a call .
Larry Waller 1.262.882.6006
Walrus Shoe & Leather Co.LLC
cmw
Full Name: Chris
Been Liked: 1 time

#34 Post by cmw »

Mike

I saw the stand you made. Great idea. I just went out and bought the piping and joints for a stand with a support for the front part of the last. This has made it easy for me over here where that kind of thing can not be found

Thanks for the help
CW
brenainn
Full Name: Noble

#35 Post by brenainn »

Good Day, I hope, to you all. I wonder if anybody can direct me to a source of wooden lasts, such as those that could be used for making medieval shoes. No boots, just early period stuff. You know, the less expensive the better. Thanks, Noble
paul
Full Name: Paul Krause
Been Liked: 14 times

#36 Post by paul »

What kind of coaching is there on pricing available for us? Because of the apparent restictions on talking about prices on our site here, I have never seen anything on this subject.

The saddle industry has a relativly new book by Bob Brenner on establishing prices, and I have read related articles in Shop Talk and elsewhere. But I have never heard or read any discussion on pricing hand made footwear. Surely everyone doesn't just look at what the other guy is charging. "What the market will bear" is a tricky thing for establishing prices for ones livelihood, don't you think?

Are we forbidden even talking about such numbers on this web page? Anybody?

PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#37 Post by dw »

Paul,

I'm just now getting some feedback from the HCC Board and moderators, etc.. The general consensus seems to be that in a less formal setting such a discussion might go in any direction that impulse and interest took it. *However*, since the forum is sponsored by the HCC, and might (completely unreasonably, IMO) be mistaken for some sort of Trade Association, until we've had a chance to run this possiblity past a legal expert, dealing in specifics such as price could conceivably be construed as "price fixing." Personally, I think that's a bit far-fetched but I'm willing to admit the possibility.

That said, I think it not too out of line or dangerous to point out that the "rule of thumb" for almost any enterprise such as this is generally to take the basic cost of materials and multiply by four (or sometimes three, if you're really unsure of yourself...and sometime five if you have a lot of confidence) and then modify according to what the market will bear--in your local area as well as in the community of potential buyers. For instance, I might raise my prices by at least double if I lived in San Francisco.

Add to that at least the basic cost of any "extraordinary" materials such as exotics, silver, artwork, etc., and you will generally arrive at both a fair price and one that is within reason relative to "fair market value."

Hope that helps.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
paul

#38 Post by paul »

DW.

Thank you taking the time to answer. It sounds like I should also thank the board members and moderators for contributing to the reply as well.

I will do the math sometime soon and see how it fits. I am well aware this is not as lucritive as the shoe repair buisness was for so many years, but I have a need to earn what I'm worth, as we all do, of course. The artistic add ons are a whole 'nuther matter, I can see. Maybe even a little hourly rate basis on some steps, would you say? Especially since I work out of a retail location with that kind of overhead.

I make custom belts, amoung other things, for the local residents and vistors here, also. I've found that I can charge more than I initally thought possible and still have a couple waiting all the time. Priceing this kind of job on materials would never make up for the time spent. For this kind of job, I use the hourly rate for my shop as a guide line. But it seems much harder to do with boot making at this very early stage.

Anyway, I appreciate the feed back.

PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#39 Post by dw »

Paul,

First thing I'd say is forget the hourly rate. If you start figuring out what you charge per hour and compare it with what you need to charge per hour, you'll cut yourself out of a whole lot of creative opportunities. It's rare to find any of us getting paid full scale for inlay work, for instance. Especially if it's done with some finesse and deliberation.

At the same time, consider this: if you never do the inlay work because you feel you have to charge so much for it to recoup your time, then you'll not only never sell any but you'll never develop the skills necessary to do it when you are offered the opportunity. And those skills, even when not applied directly to inlay work, cut across the board and improve every facet of your bootmaking. The guys who say they just do work boots have shorted themselves and their work.

Now having said that, let me also say that "if you value your work low, the customer will value it low, as well." Most customers...even those with a real need... only turn to custom bootmakers when they are in a position to care about the prestige value of a pair of custom boots. The customer **wants** to say "These cost me a grand...*each!!*" Take advantage of that and never sell yourself short. When you sell yourself short, you may get more customers but they'll always be the cheapskates...the one's perennially looking for a bargain, and they'll never be the ones who give you free rein to be creative. Sell yourself dear...you may get fewer customers but they'll pay more, order better leathers, opt for fancy work, and tell their friends.

Finally, don't be afraid to take a markup on exotics. Don't cut a pair of vamps out of an ostrich hide and tell yourself that there's two more pair in the skin and therefore you'll only charge the customer one-third the purchase price. Charge him the full price of the skin and the next two pair will be gravy. You don't know when you'll sell those two other pair of vamps...maybe never. Don't buy or sell futurities. Beyond that, this is your profit (and your due) for having established connections and access to fine quality leathers, for having developed the eye and the skills to recognize quality versus scrub, and for dealing this quality to the customer. He couldn't have done the same himself without having spent the years and time that you have. You deserve recompense for the service. And almost as important....if you have a blow out, you'll be covered.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
tomo

#40 Post by tomo »

Paul,
thanks for raising the question.

DW,
thanks for answering it. I've never done any job costings like that, and I always find it a challenge when doing specials.

That last post about having the courage to stand firm and believe in the value of your own work is sooo true.

We always try justifying the price we charge in order to not upset the customer. If it involves repair work, most often the item is a cheaply made, mass produced import. You end up working your butt off for a disproportionate rate of recompense. One of my pet peeves use too be the customer who handed over the cash, and told me that Noddy down the road was going to charge way more!
Well that doesn't happen now. It not only keeps you poor, it saps your energy, creativity and the pride you should have in your work.
We're not only expert craftsman (that's why they come to us in the first place), we're artists as well.

More power to y'awl.

T.
paul

#41 Post by paul »

DW,

Thanks for the input. I understand what you mean about cutting yourself out of a lot of creative possibilities, I'll get off the hourly rate thing for now. As a matter of fact, I just did my first inlays and decided not to care at all about what I was charging for them. I wanted to do it for the experience. I'll post pictures later.

I appreciate the lead on charging for exotics, such as Ostrich in the example you used. That's the kind of guidance I was looking for. I also like the comment not to buy and sell futurities. I have a box half full of futurities to use "someday".

I recall some old shoe repairmen I've talked to in the past, always wanted to charge extra for the risk they were taking to work on some projects or some materials. No specific dollar help there but it seems relavant to your blow out comment.

Tom,

I appreciate your input as well. Since I've been in town here and trying to hold back any shoe repair, I've intentionally held a higher price for some work I'd rather not do. As well as having a higher minimum charge than the repair shop.
It's interesting how some problems are kind of universal. I guess that's how we could easily get into a price fixing conversation if it were permitted. But I guess I'd rather think for myself in the long run.

Until later, PK
dw
Seanchaidh

#42 Post by dw »

I'm looking for a good, functional, cheap! 5-in-1. Or better yet, a welt roller bracket for a Champion Model H 5-in-1.

email me at:

frommer@bootmaker.com

Sure would appreciate any and all repsonses.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
dw
Seanchaidh

#43 Post by dw »

Thanks to asll who corresponded on the 5-n-1. I ended up purchacing a Landis Model C....at a **real** reasonable price (roughly 1/3 cost of rebuilt).

My particular thanks to Brian Thomas who put me on the the source.

Tight Stitches
DWFII--Member HCC
LCresson

#44 Post by LCresson »

Looking for the tool to measure the toe box spring.
relferink

#45 Post by relferink »

Lisa,

I’m not sure what it is you’re looking for. Toe box spring is not something I’m familiar with; I know toe spring and toe box but can’t figure out what you mean by the combination. Just for my own curiosity, what is it you are trying to measure?

Rob
P.Winthrop

#46 Post by P.Winthrop »

Looking for Landis Curved Needle Stitcher in good condition. Prefer New England area if possible.
mnewberry
Full Name: Matt Newberry

#47 Post by mnewberry »

(Message edited by mnewberry on January 30, 2006)
mnewberry
Full Name: Matt Newberry

#48 Post by mnewberry »

I am looking for a finisher. I would prefer a belt type finisher - (ie.Jacksander). I would consider a line finisher if it is exceptional condition. Prefer West coast. Thanks!

Matt Newberry
relferink

#49 Post by relferink »

Matt,
I know a local shop was trying to sell a nice machine, forgot exactly what it was but if I could have fitted it in the shop I probably would have wanted it. I saw it about a month ago in their pre-going out of business sale. It may be gone by now but if not they may sell it cheap, they were a little high to begin with. It's in MA so shipping is going to be a hassle. (do I hear you're up for a road trip? Image)
Wayland Shoe Service 978-443-1722

Rob
P.Winthrop

#50 Post by P.Winthrop »

I'm looking for a skiver in good condition. Willing to pay a fair price. Prefer machine that parts are still avaiable.

Thanks

Paul